Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofsting View Post
    Cockypoopoo waste of time. That's what OMD was. And this thread. Why you guys all stuck in the past?
    Why not? It's not like the future holds any promise.

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Why not? It's not like the future holds any promise.
    the world is ending tomorrow...
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post

Nope, but apparently spider man is soon.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    Perhaps. I won't mind either way.

Well considering Amazing 700 is going to end yeah it was completely pointless but since the no spoilers so you'll have to wait till the 26th to here my full rant if the world doesn't end that is

The curious one.

One thing that I guess I should point out, even if I don't like the way marvel has gone with Spiderman and such, is that in all fairness I have asked this sort of question myself. In Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1988 DC wiped out all but one of the universes, did that mean that all of the stories of those universes were pointless? In a way yes. In a way no. Does the fact that the Jedi are fighting a completely pointless war in Star Wars Clone Wars make their battles and valor any less? I can't say, I can only say that I really can't get into the series that much. I know with almost certainty that how ever brave and daring Asoka is she'll be stabbed in the back either by a clone or by Anakin himself.
    Many of the big things in comics tend to be pointless in a very short amount of time. In civil war many lives were interrupted by a stay in 42 and I've never seen that followed up on, in secret invasion many were kidnapped and held by the skrulls for years and I've only seen that followed up on once or twice. Amazon's Attack did horrible things to the character of the amazon's to the point where DC sort of refused to admit that series even existed a short time after it was released. A million people were turned into OMAC's and afterwards dc just ignored them.
    I guess for me the main difference here is that OMD/BND/OMIT were so badly written and plotted and they treated the characters so badly that to go through all of that, to go through the fan anger on the net and the stoic arrogance and denial of the marvel writers and editors -with one saying in effect 'we had to do what we did for the character' and the other saying 'hey, it happened before I started writing', to go through all that and then... it does seem pointless even compared to all the things I've referenced.

This in my opinion seems to be the comic book world as far as the big two are concerned, plots and characters going helter skelter with no thought of the future. If a writer can get the concept past the editor -and that seems a very easy thing to do when you look at some of this stuff- then there are no limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    So you're going to stand behind the statement that anyone who likes any story is an apologist? And the word doesn't hold any negative connotation? And I certainly don't get why you say that "people who liked OMD" isn't correct.
    There is a difference between liking something and defending something. I agree that using the word apologist for individuals who like something is incorrect. Using the word apologist to describe someone who defends something isn't that far off base, which was the context of the OP.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PoorRichard View Post
    There is a difference between liking something and defending something. I agree that using the word apologist for individuals who like something is incorrect. Using the word apologist to describe someone who defends something isn't that far off base, which was the context of the OP.
    the problem is that poster who used the apologists comment ignores the current social use of the word. He/She knows it has a negative connotation as they go through efforts to try to explain that away... the problem is that one simply cant change its current usage in such a way. Would have been better to pick a different word.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorRichard View Post
    Would you voice your opinion on a story you like if someone offered their opinion against it? Whatever your favorite story is, there's someone out there who hates it. The moment you chime in and say, "Hey, I liked that story." you're an apologist. It's a silly word to use here.

Plus, the OP's statement implies that there is something inherently wrong with OMD, making anyone who likes it have to defend a bad story. This is simply untrue.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Would you voice your opinion on a story you like if someone offered their opinion against it? Whatever your favorite story is, there's someone out there who hates it. The moment you chime in and say, "Hey, I liked that story." you're an apologist. It's a silly word to use here.

Plus, the OP's statement implies that there is something inherently wrong with OMD, making anyone who likes it have to defend a bad story. This is simply untrue.
    I liked OMD because it returned Spider-man to single status. Could it have been told better? Yes, the aspect of making a deal of Mesphito was not well executed in my opinion. The moment you chime in and say "Hey, I liked that story." you are not an aplologist. The moment you chime in and say "that story was a well crafted story because x,y and z" you are an apologist. The OP included the definition of apologist to clarify why they used it. If I defend a story, yes, I'm an apologist by the defense given.

Actually it is true. OMD was a very bad story. Almost no one liked it and the few that did don't have a leg to stand on when they try to claim its good. I can't understand how anyone could like that trash, but some people will just lap up any slop that Marvel feeds them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
    OMG how are you are so funny?!?! Did you think that Transformers movie joke up on your own?? I have never heard anything like it before ever!! When are you gonna do some Alien Vs Predator jokes...those must be hilarious, I bet you are already working on some! What kind of jokes are you gonna tell next...omg I can't wait!
    You're coming off as pretty mean here. THe guy was just making a point (and he was right BTW) and you're making fun of him in public. I Know I'm the new guy and I don't want to make waves but I just thought you should now.

Quote Originally Posted by slippy_pip View Post
    Actually it is true. OMD was a very bad story. Almost no one liked it and the few that did don't have a leg to stand on when they try to claim its good. I can't understand how anyone could like that trash, but some people will just lap up any slop that Marvel feeds them.
    No it's not true. To you it is true to others who like the story it's not. Your opinion is not fact.

Quote Originally Posted by slippy_pip View Post
    You're coming off as pretty mean here. THe guy was just making a point (and he was right BTW) and you're making fun of him in public. I Know I'm the new guy and I don't want to make waves but I just thought you should now.
    He was replying in kind to a condescending comment. Why is he being mean and the OP not so? Seriously did you even read the previous comment?

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpete View Post
    No it's not true. To you it is true to others who like the story it's not. Your opinion is not fact.
    So did you like OMIT?
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page