Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    Id say just sit back and read the final issue and see what you think. Prejudging it seems wrong to me.
    It's hard not to pre-judge when they throw out comments during interviews that invite pre-judging. As you noted they probably do this to generate buzz and sales, and while it works it's about zero on the class scale.
    When Azzarello changed Diana's origin he noted that things would get hot on the boards, but he didn't single out one group of fans to belittle. Or if he did I didn't see it.
    Last edited by Mark_S; 12-14-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Do they wear high-collared capes when they laugh? You really can't do maniacal laughter without one of those.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    That's not the case. I think Slotts run has been pretty good, actually. Not fantastic, there have been few "Wow" issues, but often very good. There has only been a few bad stories, and the good outweigh the bad ones. In my opinion, he's not one of the top five Spidey writers or anything like that, but his run is still the best one we've seen on a Spidey title for a long while. So it's not that. It's simply that, being such a huge Spidey fan I think Peter Parker is that important, and when they mess with that (like with a new Spidey) I'm not happy. Ben Reilly was something else. It's the same when they unmasked him, I obviously wasn't on the CBR forums then, but I wasn't happy with where Marvel took Spidey. At all. But Dan Slott is a good writer and his Spidey is great. It's not Mark Waid Daredevil, Scott Snyder Batman or Grant Morrison anything really, great, but still very good.

But maybe I'm more willing to go with it and relaxed when it comes to other characters and comics that I'm not that invested in. I started to read Daredevil (Millers comics was coming to Sweden during the same time they published Roger Sterns run) at the same time that I started with Spidey, so those two are the closest to my heart, and close after that came the X-Men. But of course, Batman's always been there also.
    It can be like that. When John Byrne rebooted the Doom Patrol a while back I liked it because I had never read DP before, but as I read the past issues of DP I realized why people were mad. When you are coming in fresh it's a lot easier to be open to new ideas.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Do they wear high-collared capes when they laugh? You really can't do maniacal laughter without one of those.
    Too late, I realized that part went too far and erased it.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Too late, I realized that part went too far and erased it.
    I was on time by two minutes.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

It's hard not to pre-judge when they throw out comments during interviews that invite pre-judging. As you noted they probably do this to generate buzz and sales, and while it works it's about zero on the class scale.
    When Azzarello changed Diana's origin he noted that things would get hot on the boards, but he didn't single out one group of fans to belittle. Or if he did I didn't see it.

Exactly. They want us to react and speculate. And they trust that most people who whine reads and buys it anyways. Slott and Wacker do everything they can to fuel the fire after all.

It can be like that. When John Byrne rebooted the Doom Patrol a while back I liked it because I had never read DP before, but as I read the past issues of DP I realized why people were mad. When you are coming in fresh it's a lot easier to be open to new ideas.
    Sometimes it's easier to read the stuff you're not as attached to. I'm not a stranger to DC Comics in any way, certainly not Batman, but that might be a reason that I didn't have any complaints about the New 52.

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

wow, some of you take this stuff wayyyyy too seriously
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Sure. Absolutely. But it's how he's done it sometimes that makes me wonder. I think Scott Snyder and his Batman stuff is a fine example of where it's not needed. They don't even have to replace Bruce Wayne. And when Grant Morrison DID replace Bruce Wayne for a while, I never saw any comments by Morrison or any other DC guy saying stuff like "the Bruce fans will fade away". What I also don't get is how so many people here on this board instantly goes "OMG, Slott is setting something up, and it must be GENIOUS!". Is that to compensate for the crap that happened before on CBR? Or is it more common among comic book fans to be loyal to the creator, not the character now? Sure, I can be that way with people like Grant Morrison myself, but in my opinion one of the reasons for that is that he GETS and LOVES the characters he writes. And he shows it, often very smartly. I've always, always been a big Marvel guy, but during the recent years I've started to dig more and more into DC. The often very empty hype of Marvel is one reason why I'ven done that.
    you keep citing that Snyder run when it had the single most ridiculous plot twist I have read the entire year.

you're talking about quitting Spider-Man because of a stunt and controversy, when that's what DC has exclusively been doing since the New 52 began.

SW

What ridiculous plot twist?

I'm talking about quitting Spider-Man because they are replacing Peter. That's it. It wasn't interesting with Miles Morales, and it would take something extra to make Superior interesting to me. If Peter's story ends now, so will likely my reading of Spidey. After all, a reboot and replacing the main character are two different things.
    Last edited by Lars C; 12-14-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    wow, some of you take this stuff wayyyyy too seriously
    It's not very classy, no. But do please tell us. How should we take it, according to you?

OMD and everything since has been made pointless once 700 hits. It shows without a doubt that Marvel is afraid of evolution and continued happiness when it comes to Peter Parker. The story of Peter Parker, according to Marvel, has always been one of the hardships of being the hero and the risks one man takes in the pursuit of the ideals he believes in. They actually had me interested again when Peter got the job at Horizon Labs and started getting his life outside of Spider-Man in order, Aunt May got married and almost disappeared from the series (something that was long overdue IMO) but then having Aunt May get injured after constant trips back to New York and having to stay, then the Doc Ock switch; it all smacks of reeling the character back to being the tortured and troubled hero who never cops a break.

You'd think with this being the end of the Amazing Spider-Man series, a FLAGSHIP TITLE THAT PUT MARVEL ON THE MAP, that Peter Parker would get the happy ending he deserves. But no, we can't have that. With Peter possibly leaving the series, my interest in Spider-Man as a whole leaves with him... If that's what happens that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Themasething View Post
    OMD and everything since has been made pointless once 700 hits. It shows without a doubt that Marvel is afraid of evolution and continued happiness when it comes to Peter Parker. The story of Peter Parker, according to Marvel, has always been one of the hardships of being the hero and the risks one man takes in the pursuit of the ideals he believes in. They actually had me interested again when Peter got the job at Horizon Labs and started getting his life outside of Spider-Man in order, Aunt May got married and almost disappeared from the series (something that was long overdue IMO) but then having Aunt May get injured after constant trips back to New York and having to stay, then the Doc Ock switch; it all smacks of reeling the character back to being the tortured and troubled hero who never cops a break.

You'd think with this being the end of the Amazing Spider-Man series, a FLAGSHIP TITLE THAT PUT MARVEL ON THE MAP, that Peter Parker would get the happy ending he deserves. But no, we can't have that. With Peter possibly leaving the series, my interest in Spider-Man as a whole leaves with him... If that's what happens that is.
    if Peter achieves true happiness, his story is over, no? his narrative purpose as a serial character is to never achieve happiness, because when he does, he is no longer an interesting character.

SW

What ridiculous plot twist?
    I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't read it, but it involves the identity of one of the talons, that went full-on into ridiculous daytime soap opera territory.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    if Peter achieves true happiness, his story is over, no? his narrative purpose as a serial character is to never achieve happiness, because when he does, he is no longer an interesting character.
    You are correct, but wouldn't that be a more deserved ending than what we are facing the possibility of seeing happen, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Themasething View Post
    You are correct, but wouldn't that be a more deserved ending than what we are facing the possibility of seeing happen, no?
    First, why should he get the ending he deserves?

And do you really believe his story is coming to an end?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?