Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    Otherwise it's not really a competition about who is the biggest Spidey fan here, is there?
    I didn't say it was. Merely demonstrating that I am a big Spider-Man fan, and yet I am not whining about this like they're about to kill my dog.

But you sure talk much about someone who doesn't want to read on? ;)
    clearly, I have absolutely nothing better to do.
    "I'm sending him a bouquet of cans."

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Just because a change isn't permanent that does not mean it is welcome or good to begin with.
    bull! everything has to last forever or else I've been wasting my life!!!

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    I didn't say it was. Merely demonstrating that I am a big Spider-Man fan, and yet I am not whining about this like they're about to kill my dog.

clearly, I have absolutely nothing better to do.
    It feels like you're the one who's whining, just because I'm not willing to give Dan Slott the benefit of the doubt and just blindly buy Superior Spider-Man.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Smith View Post
    but, all that being said, if you can't get over it, that's your perogative.

although, if I was a betting man, I'd bet a lot of money you'll be picking up every issue because I've never talked this much about something I wasn't going to get.
    That's the marvel attitude. Back before I put Wacker on my ignore list he would always say stuff 'you're buying it' when I told him I wasn't buying it. The hard core arrogance of the marvel writer/editor from comments on line to price increases boils down in my opinion to a callous indifference. They are the adults, we are the children who are just too dumb to understand the world.
    I too worked retail, 4 years in Radio Shack and I was abused by customers for every reason you think of. One guy belittled me because he wanted to impress his girl friend, another would go out with a new walkman and come back ten minutes later with a old beat up walkman in the box claiming it was the same one. There were also customers who had legitimate complaints, such as the customer who brought back vcr that had been miss-assembled at the factory. Sometimes complaints have real reasons behind them and sometimes if enough people complain then things change.
    In this case Juxtapozed is I think going though what I went through years ago when marvel, in my opinion, stopped writing about heroes and started writing about people in costumes. When characters you've always looked up too and admired suddenly start acting like villains or shift personalities and your complaints are met with disdain, what do you do? A person with 3 or 4 long boxes of Spiderman comics dating back to the ancient days isn't just going to say 'Ok, I stop reading them.' because he's formed an emotional attachment to the character, just as the writers and publishers want him to. It took me about two years to finally give up on marvel completely and even now I keep up with what is going on through this sight and a few others. I don't expect that the characters will ever return to heroism while people like JQ and Wacker are in charge. The cynicism and end-justifies-the-means philosophy that was the core of the Avengers Dissasembled and Civil War storyline seems to match their own political and life views. AvX was about as contrived and hacked a storyline as I've ever seen and it too was cynical to the core. But since I've read the characters from way, way, way back I keep an eye on them and hope.
    In my opinion the un-masking was made pointless by the deal with Mephisto and the Mephisto deal was made pointless by OMIT.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Just because a change isn't permanent that does not mean it is welcome or good to begin with.
    It also doesnt mean its not. However, if a change is just part of a bigger story arc the culminates in the return to status quo.... how is OMD pointless?

I absolutely agree that noone is universally right, but if sales have been dropping on USM it might mean that more people just aren't that interested in Miles Morales, or at least that they want to read about Peter Parker in the suit. And I don't think you can put it like that, what "defines" a good Spider-Man story. It's not that every Peter story is good by definition. It's just that I personally have no interest in reading about someone else. We all can agree that Peter Parkers life is such a huge part of the Spidey comics, right?
    could also indicate that they dont like miles in crossovers with captain america and the ultimates.

Ive enjoyed his run save for the last few issue or so. They have been the weakest.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    could also indicate that they dont like miles in crossovers with captain america and the ultimates.

Ive enjoyed his run save for the last few issue or so. They have been the weakest.
    exactly that

SW

That's the marvel attitude. Back before I put Wacker on my ignore list he would always say stuff 'you're buying it' when I told him I wasn't buying it. The hard core arrogance of the marvel writer/editor from comments on line to price increases boils down in my opinion to a callous indifference. They are the adults, we are the children who are just too dumb to understand the world.
    I too worked retail, 4 years in Radio Shack and I was abused by customers for every reason you think of. One guy belittled me because he wanted to impress his girl friend, another would go out with a new walkman and come back ten minutes later with a old beat up walkman in the box claiming it was the same one. There were also customers who had legitimate complaints, such as the customer who brought back vcr that had been miss-assembled at the factory. Sometimes complaints have real reasons behind them and sometimes if enough people complain then things change.
    In this case Juxtapozed is I think going though what I went through years ago when marvel, in my opinion, stopped writing about heroes and started writing about people in costumes. When characters you've always looked up too and admired suddenly start acting like villains or shift personalities and your complaints are met with disdain, what do you do? A person with 3 or 4 long boxes of Spiderman comics dating back to the ancient days isn't just going to say 'Ok, I stop reading them.' because he's formed an emotional attachment to the character, just as the writers and publishers want him to. It took me about two years to finally give up on marvel completely and even now I keep up with what is going on through this sight and a few others. I don't expect that the characters will ever return to heroism while people like JQ and Wacker are in charge. The cynicism and end-justifies-the-means philosophy that was the core of the Avengers Dissasembled and Civil War storyline seems to match their own political and life views. AvX was about as contrived and hacked a storyline as I've ever seen and it too was cynical to the core. But since I've read the characters from way, way, way back I keep an eye on them and hope.
    In my opinion the un-masking was made pointless by the deal with Mephisto and the Mephisto deal was made pointless by OMIT.
    Yeah, I think you nailed what I might be going through, but maybe not the reason. I actually think Civil War rather good, besides the Peter unmasking crap (which was luckily erased thanks to OMD). I have been thinking about giving Marvel up completely too, but there are still comics they publish that I really enjoy, as I've said before. But what I might do with Spider-Man I did with X-Men, stop reading and keep an eye out for when it's readable again, as it actually seems to be now. And that's what I might do with Spider-Man now. And why are we as consumers and readers not allowed to complain? Really? Why is "Ah, I know you'll buy it" and mocking fans acceptable?

About the marriage and the unmasking, I'm glad that they undid the unmasking, and since they didn't know what to do with the marriage they might as well have undid that too. I've always thought they could have done so much more with Peter's and MJ's marriage though. Spider-Man should be about Peter Parker, a relatable guy with many of the same problems as we do. So why were Peter and MJ never a young and struggling married couple? Mark Millar tapped into something interesting that felt like Spider-Man should be in MK Spider-Man #1-12, where they suddenly had financial issues. Why didn't they ever go with that? I'd have been interested to read about Peter and MJ struggling with jobs, money to pay for rent, some of these issues that Peter has always struggled with and one of the reasons we've always loved him for. Why OMD is made pointless by Superior Spider-Man has been said many times before in this thread. The fact that Spider-Man now will be someone else is what makes it pointless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post

Could be. Absolutely. For some. And for some it's because it's not Peter Parker behind the mask anymore. I'm one of them.

It feels like you're the one who's whining, just because I'm not willing to give Dan Slott the benefit of the doubt and just blindly buy Superior Spider-Man.
    sure, that's whats happening

SW

Yeah, I think you nailed what I might be going through
    it must be so difficult for you, these trying times

And why are we as consumers and readers not allowed to complain?
    wow, victim mentality. why am I not allowed to go online and spread my negativity about something that hasn't even come out yet, without someone making fun of me?

SW

Could be. Absolutely. For some. And for some it's because it's not Peter Parker behind the mask anymore. I'm one of them.
    the other problem with looking at sales on usm is they were falling monthly with peter as spidey too. Basically Ultimate marvel has been heading down for a while.

No. Not victim mentality. It's about having the right to say what one thinks. It's about thinking the character of Spider-Man is bigger than the creators. But sure, you and anyone else still has the right to disagree and make fun of me. But do note that you are the aggressive one here.
    Last edited by Lars C; 12-14-2012 at 06:31 AM.

No. Not victim mentality. It's about having the right to say what one thinks. It's about thinking the character of Spider-Man is bigger than the creators. But sure, you and anyone else still has the right to disagree and make fun of me. But do note that you are the aggresive one here.
    duly noted

SW

It's about having the right to say what one thinks.
    Just as a quick note on moderated forums-

You dont have that right in the way you seem to be thinking of it. You, when creating an account and posting, agree to the rules of the site and the board in question. This sets limitations on your rights to say what you think. An example is, you get mad at a comic and feel like venting with curse words. You dont have that right here.

You get to say what you think as long as it is within the rules of the site and the board you are posting on. You are allowed to complain within reason. IE: if you go into threads just to complain about something thats off topic... you will likely get banned. If your complaint is on topic and written within the rules, you will get to make it.

end mod note on free speech and rights to post-