Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Question Was OMD pointless?

When OMD happened, Marvel tried to sell us on the idea that Peter being single was good for the longevity of his character. Now, only five years later, Peter is supposedly going away, replaced by a new character. Additionally, it seems that the dissolution of the marriage failed to bring in new readers, at least enough to offset those who left.

So, if Peter is indeed no longer Spider-Man come January, did OMD turn out to be a pointless venture?

I think there were a lot of pointless things that happened before OMD that OMD tried to fix (pointlessly). It's kind of this big circle of pointlessness
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

That entirely depends on what happens in ASM 700. If anything Steve Wacker recently said is true, then yes indeed, OMD was absolutely meaningless.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

No matter what happens in 700...no.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

If 700 was really the end of the line, and we're believing the hype; yes, OMD would be absolutely pointless. Without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    That entirely depends on what happens in ASM 700. If anything Steve Wacker recently said is true, then yes indeed, OMD was absolutely meaningless.
    i've been busy with school work. what did wacker say?

Look at the CBR main page. You'll find a rather big interview with him.

Every 'Big Change' makes the previous 'Big Change' pointless.

This too shall pass.

Look at the CBR main page. You'll find a rather big interview with him.
    Color me intrigued...
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

OMD was an awful story, but everything that came after it has been pretty good so it wasn't pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Color me intrigued...
    How so? I'd love to find something in that interview to make me feel intrigued.

No. It saved me hundreds of pounds. And counting.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

It's a few weeks too early for this discussion, because we don't know what's coming in Amazing Spider-Man #700, and where it leaves Peter Parker. But it probably wasn't pointless.

Regardless of what Wacker says, I'm sure there are plans to bring back Peter Parker as Spider-Man. Bucky Cap got thirty issues, while it took a little under an year and a half to bring Bruce Wayne back as Batman, so if this takes just as long, Peter Parker will make his triumphant return at around the time Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out. This isn't to suggest that Superior Spider-Man will be pointless, as there can be some interesting long-term consequences when a lesser-known character headlines such a major book.

I would imagine that more loose ends would be tied up if Peter Parker's story were coming to an end. It would seem absurd not to do a story in which Peter learns that Flash Thompson is Venom if Slott and Marvel knew that there would be no opportunities to ever tell that story.

If I'm wrong, Mary Jane is still going to be a part of the book. So those stories could easily require her not to be married to Peter Parker.

Grant Morrison also suggested in Supergods that the thing that distinguished Peter Parker from other Silver Age superheroes, Kennedy Men (smart, successful, handsome with hot girlfriends) like Reed Richards, Ralph Dibny and Barry Allen was that he didn't get the girl. In that case, it's more fitting for Spider-Man to not ride off into the sunset with the love of his life.

If you think about the end points of Spider-Man's story, it didn't really end with his personal life in a happy place.
    Amazing Fantasy #15 could have been the only Spider-Man story ever published.
    Amazing Spider-Man #33 is sometimes mentioned as the conclusion of Lee/ Ditko's run.
    Amazing Spider-Man #38 was the last Lee/ Ditko story.
    Amazing Spider-Man #122 was considered the end of the silver age.
    One More Day was the end of the first chapter of Spider-Man.
    Ultimate Spider-Man died a teen martyr.
    The first Spider-Man film ended with Peter realizing he has to be alone.
    Amazing Spider-Man is building up to the Death of Gwen Stacy.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

How so? I'd love to find something in that interview to make me feel intrigued.
    I was intrigued to go read the interview. Now that I have I'm not so intrigued...
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Yes and No. While Peters story may be ending soon, the current cast of TASM is said to be still around in the new Superieror Spider-man series, so not comeplety. If MJ had never forced Pete to argree making the deal, MJ woulden't be even be the love interest of the new Spidey, soon there are still some characters going into different directions in the new series because of OMD.
    Peter Parker + ' 'with great power there must also come great responsibility '' = Spider-man