Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Debate: Did Dragon Ball GT kill Dragon Ball Z as a whole?

You decide!

I don't think so. We have DBZ Abridged after all.
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

I liked Dragon Ball GT...

And it obviously didn't kill it. There are new ''super special untold stories'' and video games coming out almost every year.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Considering how popular DBZ still is, I'd say that GT really didn't have much of an effect.

I like dragonball z. I don't really like GT.
    I mean, they turn goku into a child. I don't really like what they do with Goku.

Like others have said, it didn't kill the franchise given that the franchise enjoys a healthy life even now.

That said it is a bit of a dark spot. They had good ideas. Some really cool concepts. But the execution was lacking.

I really don't get the hate, personally. It was a throwback to the first series and the final battle and scenes were pretty awesome. The only thing to really complain, imo, is that it isn't based on any Manga and the author just served as a supervisor of some sort, but if you didn't care about behind the scenes stuff like that it's good.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Vegeta's mustache justifies like 90% of the complaints about GT by itself.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Considering there's a new movie, multiple games, and a very active fanbase I'd hardly describe the Dragon Ball franchise as dead. GT was many many terrible things but Franchise killer wasn't one of them.
    Liked Deadpool before it was cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Vegeta's mustache justifies like 90% of the complaints about GT by itself.
    Overruled by Vegeta still being a boss.

Evidence A. Vegeta flat-out not giving a damn when Gohan's life is on the line.

Evidence B. His reunion with Nappa.

Evidence C. Being the victim in one of the most painful-looking attacks in the franchise and living to tell the tale.
    Last edited by Kamina; 12-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I really don't get the hate, personally. It was a throwback to the first series and the final battle and scenes were pretty awesome. The only thing to really complain, imo, is that it isn't based on any Manga and the author just served as a supervisor of some sort, but if you didn't care about behind the scenes stuff like that it's good.
    Yeah I wouldn't go as far as to say it's as bad as the fans make it out to be myself. And like you said it was an homage off of the earlier series. Personally I find GT average at best. If I had to say what "killed" the franchise it would be the fans. Akira did wanted the series to end at the Frieza Saga but the fans wanted more, he wanted Gohan to take his father's place after the Cell Saga but the fans wanted Goku to remain as the main character. After that point he just stopped caring and left GT in the hands of someone else
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

It jumped the shark many times in the Buu saga. GT was crap, but killing the franchise as a whole? The Android/Cell saga is still gold, and "it's over 9000!" will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It jumped the shark many times in the Buu saga. GT was crap, but killing the franchise as a whole? The Android/Cell saga is still gold, and "it's over 9000!" will never die.
    I really didn't like the direction of the Buu Saga. The most annoying thing is that everytime Gohan gets a freaking power up he screws up saving the day.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

To be fair, it wasn't really his fault.

In Cell Saga he was incredibly angry. Angry enough to awaken a Rage Power Up while already in a Rage Power Up Mode, and was fully intent on sadistically beating up Cell, make him regenerate, then beat him again.

In Buu Saga, it was Gotenks' fault.

Many things in that Saga were Gotenks' fault.