Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    And yet you see nothing amiss with Miles' father and his uncle both being convicted criminals? That's not raising any hackles? That doesn't reek of racism?
    There is nothing wrong with that as long as it's not the only aspect of the characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa View Post
    There is nothing wrong with that as long as it's not the only aspect of the characters.
    It's the first thing we learned....

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SayOcean View Post
    The first? Do you mean in some interview? We found out that his uncle was crooked early on, but his uncle is a villain. Even then they didn't go into his Uncle's past when we first saw him. They didn't need to because he was currently a thief. And it's not like during the first appearance of Miles' father he was outed as having a darker past. We got to see some of his personalty first.

Either way, first or last, it's not about the order. It's not like that is the only aspect of those characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    The first? Do you mean in some interview? We found out that his uncle was crooked early on, but his uncle is a villain. Even then they didn't go into his Uncle's past when we first saw him. They didn't need to because he was currently a thief. And it's not like during the first appearance of Miles' father he was outed as having a darker past. We got to see some of his personalty first.

Either way, first or last, it's not about the order. It's not like that is the only aspect of those characters.
    If I tell you about my friend and the first thing you learn is that he was/is a criminal you're gonna come up
    With a mental picture of him

If I tell you about my friend and the first thing you learn is that he was/is a criminal you're gonna come up
    With a mental picture of him
    Okay? But that wasn't the first thing we learn about Miles' dad. We learn/ see how he interacts with his family. As for Miles' uncle, he is a villain, remember? And even then the Uncle didn't show his true colors until he found out about Miles' powers. Before that point he was the man that Miles felt more comfortable hanging out with.

Either way you don't know me at all. I know ex cons. Some of the nicest people I know. Hell some of my family members are/have been in jail. Sometimes folks make mistakes early in life, it doesn't mean they are indefinitely bad people. Anyone who judges that quickly may want to check themselves. Unless they went for murder or something I'd say give them a chance. Maybe they are a bad apple, maybe they just got caught up in some stupidity at that time in their life.

Not for his father it was. The first thing we learned was that he's a family man. Then we learned that he doesn't like his brother. We didn't learn he used to be a criminal until the second issue.

How is it racist for the character to have one stereotype? It's not like Miles lives with a poor single mom and he's never met his father who is a drug addict gang leader. His dad used to be a criminal. So what?
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Not for his father it was. The first thing we learned was that he's a family man. Then we learned that he doesn't like his brother. We didn't learn he used to be a criminal until the second issue.

How is it racist for the character to have one stereotype? It's not like Miles lives with a poor single mom and he's never met his father who is a drug addict gang leader. His dad used to be a criminal. So what?
    Why couldn't his father be a hard-working family man without a criminal background? If you look at Bendis' treatment of black characters, it's all full of stereotypes from Luke Cage's favorite sexual position to Miles' Uncle.

I actually liked that Morales had a reversed peter parker situation going on

But I don't think that's why people never flew for morales

Ultimate Comics Spider-man is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
    The book is a handfull of pages thin, comes out once a month, and very little will happen from one issue to another

Ultimate Peter parker was a new idea, a new character in a new universe.
    The whole Ultimate approach was born with him, going on fourteen years ago or something
    That really got people going, and balanced out his drawbacks
    Miles however, started nowhere near the same steam, and he never picked up
    So screw it

Other comics also only come out monthly, but at least there's this whole giant thing around them, every week, and every month that carries the momentum of that comic

UCSM is just there, isolated.

Also, I don't think how you can point at anyone's criminal background and say that's a problem

You got plenty sucessful books in Thunderbolts, Dark Avengers, Punisher and whatever the crap wolverine stars in

These are all disgusting scumbags

Why couldn't his father be a hard-working family man without a criminal background? If you look at Bendis' treatment of black characters, it's all full of stereotypes from Luke Cage's favorite sexual position to Miles' Uncle.
    No. That's still one stereotypical trait. One. (He said it was his favorite sexual position? Or was it just that he had sex in that position. I mean, how many people have sex in that position? And is that a stereotype?) Most characters have at least one pertaining to their race, gender or sexual orientation.

The reason why Miles dad was an ex criminal was because it created a closer connection to the uncle and it explains why the dad does not like the uncle. It is really only one thing. I'm not normally one to say who should or shouldn't be offended at something, however, you seem to be blowing this out of proportion. I feel like the black men on this site should speak more on this issue. I don't remember many of them thinking that it was handled that poorly (I have been wrong before so feel free to speak up guys) and they are the ones who have to deal with the real world implications of such a stereotype.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    No. That's still one stereotypical trait. One. (He said it was his favorite sexual position? Or was it just that he had sex in that position. I mean, how many people have sex in that position? And is that a stereotype?) Most characters have at least one pertaining to their race, gender or sexual orientation.

The reason why Miles dad was an ex criminal was because it created a closer connection to the uncle and it explains why the dad does not like the uncle. It is really only one thing. I'm not normally one to say who should or shouldn't be offended at something, however, you seem to be blowing this out of proportion. I feel like the black men on this site should speak more on this issue. I don't remember many of them thinking that it was handled that poorly (I have been wrong before so feel free to speak up guys) and they are the ones who have to deal with the real world implications of such a stereotype.
    LOL, don't worry, you are right on this. This would be a situation if that ex criminal side of him took up a major part of his characterization/story arc. That's not the case here. He's moved on from it, and is now dealing with a ton of other brand new issues.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

To cover up on the double post, I will say that I am pretty critical on how Bendis handled other black male characters, namely Luke and Brother Voodoo. So it's not like I'm biased on this.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

This is more plot driven then bad sterotype. no crying wolf on this one
    Comfortably numb is my state of being!

BANNED

Right? Was aunt may a meth head? So peter can have some edge?

BANNED

Do you know what I think is a stereotype? Words like Blacksploitation. If anyone's being anything close to racist, it's those who are complaining about the race issue. Not all, just some of them who think about it too much, being influenced by the media and then repeating nonsensical concepts of pretentious censorship like Politically Correct. Some people even get upset over the topic because they have this belief that all stories should have a large diversity of minorities. This is a result of people getting most of their education from the media. What people need to realise is that it doesn't matter what colour or race anyone is. I understand the fact that there was an outcry about a Black Spider-Man last year, but I can't believe people are still going on about it as much as I'm seeing here on this thread. I'm from the UK and I've never known anyone who thinks about race like a lot of the people do on this thread. I mean, skin colour is just such a strange thing to discuss so.. philosophically.