Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Der is nothing wrong with Miles being 13 yrs old....u saying u nvr bn 13yrs old urself, do u really hv 2 b @ dat age NOW in order 2 relate & last we chekd der r far FAR much more adult comix & storylines involving younger xcters dan Miles & u know it.

Peter Parker was an "everyman" & Miles is an everyboy & a much more "average joe" dan Parker.

Can u 4ther explain wat u mean by "it's the way that Bendis is stuck in the 70's when it comes to depicting minorities"? REALLY luking 4ward 2 r response on dis 1.
    He must mean the way all the black characters have huge afros and refer to each other as "brother/sister" and to white people as "honky".

Also, are you gonna start writing actual words, or am I gonna put you on ignore?
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

The poster known as SilverZeal is a account that is handled by multiple people, some type in a way that's more clear then the other members of the collective. Either put him/her on ignore or continue understanding what they said and post a response as you've done( I don't mind the way they type as in the end they have made way more sense then a lot of folks who use the king's English 110% correctly ).

Not taking any sides just explaining SilverZ's "style"

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Also, are you gonna start writing actual words, or am I gonna put you on ignore?
    lol 10 chars
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Can u 4ther explain wat u mean by "it's the way that Bendis is stuck in the 70's when it comes to depicting minorities"? REALLY luking 4ward 2 r response on dis 1.
    Well, for one thing we can look at the adult male role-models in Miles' life -- his father and his uncle. Now, Bendis could have made them both honest, hard-working family men who have managed to stay out of trouble with the law, but he did not. Instead he fell back on the 70's "blackspoitation" stereotype and gave them both criminal backgrounds -- one trying to go straight and the other still pursuing a life of crime. As I've said before, most of the black men I know have not been convicted of a felony. Most of them are decent people with families. You can also see Bendis' affinity for 70's black action films in the way he depicts Luke Cage (who to be fair was a 70's blacksploitation character from the get-go). Miles himself is very much like some of the kid characters in shows like "Good Times" and "What's Happening". If you weren't around back then, none of this means anything to you probably. But I was around then and so was Bendis and what he's doing is as transparent as Saran wrap.

Which parts do you consider inappropriate for younger readers? My 12-year-old son has been reading the Ult. Miles comics and enjoying them a great deal. I'd also have no problem with my 8-year-old daughter reading them if she wanted to. There's not enough comics I can say that about these days.

Because they've allowed themselves to become too personally attached to a bunch of corporate-owned licensing trademarks?
    If USM was a stand-alone comic and wasn't involved with the rest of the UU, then I could almost agree with you (except for some of the extreme violence and the whole killing his uncle thing). But USM is tied closely to the Ultimates, a book that has had themes of incest and canibalism. The old USM pretty much ignored the rest of the UU until Ultimatum.

And, yes, all of these characters are owned by Disney. But if you don't become personally attached to the characters you read about, then why bother reading them at all? Isn't that part of the point of reading fiction, to be drawn into the lives of the characters we read about? Seriously, maybe you read too many zombie satires. You should read something like "the Lovely Bones" or "Lord of the Rings" or "House of Leaves" or something that can really pull you into the characters' lives and their worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    If USM was a stand-alone comic and wasn't involved with the rest of the UU, then I could almost agree with you (except for some of the extreme violence and the whole killing his uncle thing).
    It's a superhero comic. There's gonna be violence. I haven't seen anything in any Ultimate Spider-Man comic that I'd consider too "extreme" for my kids to read. It's not like Invincible, where you have guys punching through people's torsos and stuff.

But USM is tied closely to the Ultimates, a book that has had themes of incest and canibalism.
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Those themes aren't reflected in any way in USM. That would be like not letting my kids watch Doctor Who because Torchwood exists.

The only Ultimates comics I'd let my son read (my daughter's a bit young for those yet) are the Millar/Hitch ones. The incest is barely hinted at there, to the point where it would most likely go straight over his head. And if he did figure it out, he'd dismiss it as gross and move on. And the only thing resembling cannibalism in those issues is where the Hulk cooks one of the Skrulls and eats it. While it's not something I'd like to see in comics on a regular basis, I wouldn't see the harm in letting a 12-year-old read the comic on that basis.

I wouldn't give him the rest of the Ultimates to read, not because of the subject matter, but because they're poorly-written garbage.

And, yes, all of these characters are owned by Disney. But if you don't become personally attached to the characters you read about, then why bother reading them at all? Isn't that part of the point of reading fiction, to be drawn into the lives of the characters we read about? Seriously, maybe you read too many zombie satires. You should read something like "the Lovely Bones" or "Lord of the Rings" or "House of Leaves" or something that can really pull you into the characters' lives and their worlds.
    You have no idea what I do or don't read. I've read plenty of books where I've become big fans of certain characters (Arya Stark in A Song Of Ice And Fire comes to mind). But at the end of the day, they're just stories. They're not real people, they're fictional characters, and if a certain character dying is part of the story the writer wishes to tell, then so be it. I've had too many people die on me in real life to get too choked up about the demise of any fictional character.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 12-31-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by atlasjj View Post
    US Today spoiled Captain America, The Human Torch and Ultimate Peter's death the day before the issues hit. They also posted Amazing Spider-Man #700 spoilers the night before the issue was released. There have been a few other comic book events/deaths US Today have spoiled via a press release from either Marvel or themselves many times.
    Really? Dang thats crazy. At least it is only a day early but still that is crazy they would do something like that instead of letting people find out for themselves first, especially for fans who read USA today. Thats almost like printing the finale to LOST the day the final episode aired lol.

Well, for one thing we can look at the adult male role-models in Miles' life -- his father and his uncle. Now, Bendis could have made them both honest, hard-working family men who have managed to stay out of trouble with the law, but he did not. Instead he fell back on the 70's "blackspoitation" stereotype and gave them both criminal backgrounds -- one trying to go straight and the other still pursuing a life of crime. As I've said before, most of the black men I know have not been convicted of a felony. Most of them are decent people with families. You can also see Bendis' affinity for 70's black action films in the way he depicts Luke Cage (who to be fair was a 70's blacksploitation character from the get-go). Miles himself is very much like some of the kid characters in shows like "Good Times" and "What's Happening". If you weren't around back then, none of this means anything to you probably. But I was around then and so was Bendis and what he's doing is as transparent as Saran wrap.

i'm sorry, what?

besides the fact that Good Times (a great show) and What's Happening, (it was enjoyable at times but most definitely had some serious bamboozled issues) aren't blaxploitation, the trope and stereotype of black males and crime did not come from so-called blaxploitation movies. seriously, people have lumped damn near every late '60's - early '80's movie (and apparently tv shows) with a predominately black cast in the blaxploitation label, regardless of quality, genre, importance, and theme

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i'm sorry, what?

besides the fact that Good Times (a great show) and What's Happening, (it was enjoyable at times but most definitely had some serious bamboozled issues) aren't blaxploitation, the trope and stereotype of black males and crime did not come from so-called blaxploitation movies. seriously, people have lumped damn near every late '60's - early '80's movie (and apparently tv shows) with a predominately black cast in the blaxploitation label, regardless of quality, genre, importance, and theme
    It's probably the same line of logic that the "Rule of Three" stemmed from.

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

Exactly. It's not Miles. It's the way Miles was introduced. It's the fact that the pace of the book is now agonizingly slow. It's the way that Miles is 13 years old, yet the book is not really appropriate for younger readers. It's the way that Bendis is stuck in the 70's when it comes to depicting minorities. It's the way that I miss Ultimate Peter Parker.
    =.
    so, what do you call all the decompression in the last 100 or so issues of ultimate spider-man?

i'm curious
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Well, people suck. They don't want change. I wonder why Marvel bothered with killing Peter in both universes? For sales? Maybe. But the drama/outcry was annoying enough for me to turn off the internet for a week. Thank god it was x-mas.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

The only Ultimates comics I'd let my son read (my daughter's a bit young for those yet) are the Millar/Hitch ones. The incest is barely hinted at there, to the point where it would most likely go straight over his head. And if he did figure it out, he'd dismiss it as gross and move on. And the only thing resembling cannibalism in those issues is where the Hulk cooks one of the Skrulls and eats it. While it's not something I'd like to see in comics on a regular basis, I wouldn't see the harm in letting a 12-year-old read the comic on that basis.
    Actually, having re-read the first volume of Ultimates last night, I might hold off on passing them to The Boy just yet. But still, none of the more Not For Kids stuff that goes on in that title is even hinted at in Ultimate Spidey.

Miles Morales is my favorite current character in Marvel. If you actually read the stories, you see that it was a extremely fresh way to bring in a new character. You are part of the development of a superhero from the very begining. Not in a flash back, but from the actual first moments. He wasn't a side kick or even a hero. He is just a little boy that gets super powers and chooses to do good with them. He wants to act as Peter Parker did and he wants to grow into a superhero that can live up to that legacy. Peter Parker's story has been told for 4 decades and now his story grows and lives on in his legacy. I think the real reason people hate Miles Morales is that they haven't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio3432 View Post
    Miles Morales is my favorite current character in Marvel. If you actually read the stories, you see that it was a extremely fresh way to bring in a new character. You are part of the development of a superhero from the very begining. Not in a flash back, but from the actual first moments. He wasn't a side kick or even a hero. He is just a little boy that gets super powers and chooses to do good with them. He wants to act as Peter Parker did and he wants to grow into a superhero that can live up to that legacy. Peter Parker's story has been told for 4 decades and now his story grows and lives on in his legacy. I think the real reason people hate Miles Morales is that they haven't read it.
    I'm not doubting the quality of the stories, but isn't that Peter's journey as well? We see his development from day one, not in a flash back. He wasn't a side kick or hero, He was jsut a little boy that gets super powers and decides to do good. He wants to act in such a way that would make uncle Ben proud?

Also, many things can be said for Miles, but his introduction was not fresh as you say. Meaning only that it wasn't anything we hadn't seen in comics. It's not a reflection on how good his stories might be (I haven't read a single issue), just fact.
    Last edited by Xistel; 01-07-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

I tend to think there's less hatred and a lot more indifference. Miles is replacing a character who wasn't even the main persona of that character; almost all comic fans I know think 616 Pete is the 'real' one (and you still have people who think pre-OMD or just pre-ASM 700 count), so Miles is just a fill-in replacing a fill-in. But at least Ult Parker was a fill-in for someone they already knew and liked. I haven't read any of Mile's stories, but I also haven't read any Ultimate stuff since pre-Ultimatum.

If Miles had been introduced as Ult Spidey when the line originally launched I think the character would have a bigger fanbase - though to be fair, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is still a pretty good selling book. Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 150 only sold 2,000 or so more issues then the current book.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    I'm not doubting the quality of the stories, but isn't that Peter's journey as well? We see his development from day one, not in a flash back. He wasn't a side kick or hero, He was jsut a little boy that gets super powers and decides to do good. He wants to act in such a way that would make uncle Ben proud?

Also, many things can be said for Miles, but his introduction was not fresh as you say. Meaning only that it wasn't anything we hadn't seen in comics. It's not a reflection on how good his stories might be (I haven't read a single issue), just fact.
    Yeah, that's my point. If you enjoyed reading about Peter Parker's journey, from the begining than why not Miles Morales. This has happend in comics, but not to Spider-Man! I guess seeing how people react to Superior Spider-man will be a good comparison because that's the "real" spider-man.