Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Mr. Terrific was one of the offensively atrocious pieces of crap I ever read. I didn't think it was possible for me to get offended over a freaking comic book but DC somehow pulled it off. I was offended as an ethnic male, and as an atheist. It was horrible. And I agree with the above post, DC hasn't done any more for minorities then Marvel. I still don't understand why Cyborg is on the Justice League, he isn't even used. He is also the only member that doesn't have a solo. At least Bendis tried with both Miles and Luke Cage and Hickman is trying with the Illuminati and this new Avengers team. There are still instances at Marvel that make me scratch my head. Blade anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    marvel spoils in usa today all the time these days. Try again.
    Really? Like what? Im curious since I have no idea since I don't keep up with news.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    In what way? Peter died doing what he does - saving people from the bad guys.
    No, Peter died in a convoluted, mediocre "event" that was a last-ditch effort to bring new life to the UU after the damage done by Ultimatum. He died for a sales gimmick.

With the current events in the regular Marvel U., I think that the UU should be ditched and the entire regular Marvel line given a hard reboot.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    No, Peter died in a convoluted, mediocre "event" that was a last-ditch effort to bring new life to the UU after the damage done by Ultimatum. He died for a sales gimmick.

With the current events in the regular Marvel U., I think that the UU should be ditched and the entire regular Marvel line given a hard reboot.
    if that was the case then why didn't they leave peter dead after ultimatum. sure death of a spiderman *might* have been a sales gimmick but only because Peter was failing in his own book. and sales gimmicks happen all the times why on earth should we care whether they died for or not a sales gimmick? the characters aren't even real. I swear people get way to involved with fiction characters sometimes.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

What was convoluted about Peter's death?

Marvel are telling pretty good stories between Ultimate Spider-man (which was nominated for an Eisner) and the Marvel NOW stuff.

It would be insane to re-boot their universe at this point.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post
    It always amuses me that Superheroes of Color are labeled as boring, generic, uninteresting, "not the real [insert name here]" whenever they're brought to the forefront or considered remotely important in a title.
    Did you ever think that it has nothing to do with his race? There are a TON of white male characters labeled by many as boring. And as far as "not the real X character" goes, that's not exclusive to minorities either. There were loads of people who said that about Bucky and Grayson as Cap and Batman recently, and you see plenty of people who don't lik Wally or Bart as the flash. Not everything is about race; some people just don't like Miles.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    Really? Like what? Im curious since I have no idea since I don't keep up with news.
    US Today spoiled Captain America, The Human Torch and Ultimate Peter's death the day before the issues hit. They also posted Amazing Spider-Man #700 spoilers the night before the issue was released. There have been a few other comic book events/deaths US Today have spoiled via a press release from either Marvel or themselves many times.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

I think that the UU should be ditched
    Hard to argue with that. The only title I'm reading is Ult. Spidey. I tried Millar's second crack at Ultimates recently (the one with Ult. Red Skull) and thought it was woeful.

and the entire regular Marvel line given a hard reboot.
    Oh God no. Why would you do that? The comics are going along very nicely indeed. There's continuity, but they don't seem as trapped by it as another company might be.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Did you ever think that it has nothing to do with his race? There are a TON of white male characters labeled by many as boring. And as far as "not the real X character" goes, that's not exclusive to minorities either. There were loads of people who said that about Bucky and Grayson as Cap and Batman recently, and you see plenty of people who don't lik Wally or Bart as the flash. Not everything is about race; some people just don't like Miles.
    It's a bit more noticeable with the dearth of POC characters in comparison to the overflow of cisgender superheroes you know?

plus a lot of the time people make these complaints about how "boring" they find these characters, it always boils down to like entitled fanboy rage: MY guy isn't THE guy anymore, this sucks, I'm gonna go into hater mode and hate everything I see

Like, I didn't like Bart as Kid flash that much and thought the whole deathstroke thing was bs but I read it, and even checked out his short lived time as THE flash

slow start but then guggenheim kicked things up on his run.....then promptly killed Bart. I was sad, so sad, because I felt he had so much potential. I got over it though, and thought it was a tragic story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Hard to argue with that. The only title I'm reading is Ult. Spidey. I tried Millar's second crack at Ultimates recently (the one with Ult. Red Skull) and thought it was woeful.

Oh God no. Why would you do that? The comics are going along very nicely indeed. There's continuity, but they don't seem as trapped by it as another company might be.
    okay you HAVe to admit, that Red Skull story had some awesome captain america fight scenes, even if it was overall an underwhelming story
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Mr. Terrific was one of the offensively atrocious pieces of crap I ever read. I didn't think it was possible for me to get offended over a freaking comic book but DC somehow pulled it off. I was offended as an ethnic male, and as an atheist. It was horrible. And I agree with the above post, DC hasn't done any more for minorities then Marvel. I still don't understand why Cyborg is on the Justice League, he isn't even used. He is also the only member that doesn't have a solo. At least Bendis tried with both Miles and Luke Cage and Hickman is trying with the Illuminati and this new Avengers team. There are still instances at Marvel that make me scratch my head. Blade anyone?
    Agreed & co-signd with supa emfasis on d bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Exactly. It's not Miles. It's the way Miles was introduced. It's the fact that the pace of the book is now agonizingly slow. It's the way that Miles is 13 years old, yet the book is not really appropriate for younger readers. It's the way that Bendis is stuck in the 70's when it comes to depicting minorities. It's the way that I miss Ultimate Peter Parker.

And as good as Bucky's run as Captain America was, I never bought into him being Captain America. I didn't mind Dick Grayson as Batman because that one didn't come out of nowhere. But Bucky was pretty much non-existent until just a short time before taking the mantle from Steve Rogers -- I mean he hadn't appeared anywhere regularly for 70 years or so.

But even so, Captain America is a symbol, just like Batman. It makes sense for someone to step up and continue to BE that symbol. (The old western "Barbarosa" covers that theme very well.) But Spider-man was an accident. He wasn't a symbol. He didn't stand up at a podium to inspire people to greater things and he didn't work hard to become an urban legend, a shadow that criminals and law-enforcement alike only whispered about.

Spider-man/Peter Parker was an everyman (even with his later successes, he never forgot where he came from). We connected to him personally. He wasn't a legend. He was us. Killing Peter Parker, whether in the UU or in the regular Marvel U, is like saying that the average joe doesn't matter -- that we're all faceless and replacable just as the big corporations we all work for try to tell us we are. Replacing Peter Parker -- no matter who with -- is something that people take personally and for good reason.
    Last edited by Heroid; 12-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.

We/SZ very vividly disagree!

Exactly. It's not Miles. It's the way Miles was introduced. It's the fact that the pace of the book is now agonizingly slow. It's the way that Miles is 13 years old, yet the book is not really appropriate for younger readers. It's the way that Bendis is stuck in the 70's when it comes to depicting minorities. It's the way that I miss Ultimate Peter Parker.

And as good as Bucky's run as Captain America was, I never bought into him being Captain America. I didn't mind Dick Grayson as Batman because that one didn't come out of nowhere. But Bucky was pretty much non-existent until just a short time before taking the mantle from Steve Rogers -- I mean he hadn't appeared anywhere regularly for 70 years or so.

But even so, Captain America is a symbol, just like Batman. It makes sense for someone to step up and continue to BE that symbol. (The old western "Barbarosa" covers that theme very well.) But Spider-man was an accident. He wasn't a symbol. He didn't stand up at a podium to inspire people to greater things and he didn't work hard to become an urban legend, a shadow that criminals and law-enforcement alike only whispered about.

Spider-man/Peter Parker was an everyman (even with his later successes, he never forgot where he came from). We connected to him personally. He wasn't a legend. He was us. Killing Peter Parker, whether in the UU or in the regular Marvel U, is like saying that the average joe doesn't matter
    -- that we're all faceless and replacable just as the big corporations we all work for try to tell us we are. Replacing Peter Parker -- no matter who with -- is something that people take personally and for good reason.
    Der is nothing wrong with Miles being 13 yrs old....u saying u nvr bn 13yrs old urself, do u really hv 2 b @ dat age NOW in order 2 relate & last we chekd der r far FAR much more adult comix & storylines involving younger xcters dan Miles & u know it.

Peter Parker was an "everyman" & Miles is an everyboy & a much more "average joe" dan Parker.

Can u 4ther explain wat u mean by "it's the way that Bendis is stuck in the 70's when it comes to depicting minorities"? REALLY luking 4ward 2 r response on dis 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post
    Their similarities stop at being bitten my Oscorp Spiders and being Spider-Man. Everything about Miles is completely and utterly different from Peter; he's not an orphan, he doesn't live with his aunt and uncle, he's not a boy-genius, he never used his powers to make a profit, etc., etc., etc. Miles stories are his own because they subscribe to the issues in his life and his ordeals as Spider-Man, not Peter's.

Both O'Hara and Morales are the real Spider-Man, but, what they aren't, is Peter Parker. If you're gonna go with this line of thought, the mantle of Spider-Man/Spider-Girl/Woman doesn't belong to Ben Riley, Mayday Parker, Anya Corazon, Jessica Drew and Ashley Barton because they're not Peter Parker.

Do you mean Donald Glover? There isn't a character or person named Doug Glover in connection to anything with Spider-Man. And I think your problem is that you were never willing to give Miles a chance because all you want is Peter. Your entire commentary can be boiled down to "Not Peter, Don't Like it", when the point of the matter is, Spider-Man can and has focused on so much more than Peter Parker; point in case, 2099, Spider-Girl (both volume) and Scarlet Spider. Miles is far from what you can describe as a "D-Lister" and Marvel is hardly any more self-important about itself than it was when it was peddling Peter as the hero of Ultimate or 616 Marvel.

They're neck and neck and on the same problematic ship of representing and using POC characters just about, which is no good at all. Miles is an exception, not the rule to minority representation/use.

And, boring Miles is not.
    Very well said..agreed!

It's the way that Miles is 13 years old, yet the book is not really appropriate for younger readers.
    Which parts do you consider inappropriate for younger readers? My 12-year-old son has been reading the Ult. Miles comics and enjoying them a great deal. I'd also have no problem with my 8-year-old daughter reading them if she wanted to. There's not enough comics I can say that about these days.

Spider-man/Peter Parker was an everyman (even with his later successes, he never forgot where he came from). We connected to him personally. He wasn't a legend. He was us. Killing Peter Parker, whether in the UU or in the regular Marvel U, is like saying that the average joe doesn't matter -- that we're all faceless and replacable just as the big corporations we all work for try to tell us we are. Replacing Peter Parker -- no matter who with -- is something that people take personally and for good reason.
    Because they've allowed themselves to become too personally attached to a bunch of corporate-owned licensing trademarks?
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P