Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Again, I find that Miles is "hated" because he is in the spider-man tights. I think a lot of the noise around him would have been dead if he simply was his own hero (i mean, not replacing someone).
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    Again, I find that Miles is "hated" because he is in the spider-man tights. I think a lot of the noise around him would have been dead if he simply was his own hero (i mean, not replacing someone).
    this this this this. peter parker was killed so some no name could take his spot #FanboyOutrage
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    There is nothing appealing about Miles, and I just don't feel like he is much of a hero at this point.
    No idea what book you've been reading.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    regardless, the initial point was that the re-election of Obama isn't proof that race isn't '...a "big" issue for people', it still is, and some that do, voted for Obama.
    Just curious, but are you suggesting those who have a big issue with race voted for Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by babybro View Post
    Japan named a city after this dude for christ sake.
    LOL. That city was not named after him.

In Japanese, Obama means little beach. That city had been named Obama for over 400 years.
    Last edited by Emissary of Justice; 12-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emissary of Justice View Post

Just curious, but are you suggesting those who have a big issue with race voted for Obama?

In Japanese, Obama means little beach. That city had been named Obama for over 400 years.
    Next he is going to claim that the beach is inhabited by black Japanese people.

I don't think race is that big of deal, or that everyone is naturally racist, I just feel the need when people downplay racism as if it doesn't exist.

Grow up and face your country .

BANNED

My name is Rob. Sometimes when something is stolen, it is referred to as 'robbed'. That terminology is named after me. Because I'm famous and everybody loves me.

Quick! Somebody make fun of the colour of my skin!

Quote Originally Posted by Emissary of Justice View Post

Ah my apologizes, I misunderstood the article, they were stating city was supporting the president, not that the city was named after obama. Still, Japan like many other countries
    were all wishing for obama to succeed? Why? Partially because of his race, to signify that a minority could make it to the top position in America.
    Snowstorm Comics is the newest comic book publisher. Releasing their first print "Kindred" from their upcoming comic, "Evolved" you can find out more at snowstormcomics.com

Wats-up with dis thread?

Hw wud any1 ANY1 h8 on sum1 as awesome & cute as Miles?

Part of it was due to race and the other is that comic fans are extremely resistant to anything that challenges their status quo.
    "And in a few years, some rebellious little kid is going to turn up at your school with me on his t-shirt. 'Cyclops was right.'"

I'm british so I diddn't hear that. but that's just bloody stupid.

I just want to say to the people who claim there wasn't a racist backlash toward Miles, I can remember the first article which announced his ethnic background, the very first comments all had to do with racial stereotypes.One in specific was "great so he'll be able to steal and jump fences now."I remember thinking to myself "God this guy is angry."Like everyone has said, it had to do with both Peter not being Spidey and Miles ethnic background.Trust me though, there was much worse than that said by the fan boys.

Quote Originally Posted by OrpheusTelos View Post
    Part of it was due to race and the other is that comic fans are extremely resistant to anything that challenges their status quo.
    Kind of the perfect response - all fans seem to want are new and innovative stories, yet moan and complain and ***** constantly when something in their comic book universe changes.

And the racism was just horrific- much like when Idris Elbar was cast in Thor quite a few threads around the net looked like a redneck clan meeting

Edit or word change

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Connect200 View Post
    Miles Morales for those who don't know what the person that replaced Spider-Man when Peter Parker was killed by the Green Goblin in the Ultimate Universe. People didn't like the idea. Now I can see the hate for Miles Morales. First off, he didn't deserve to be Spider-Man because he didn't "put in work". For those who also don't know what "put in work" is it is the basically working hard as a sidekick to eventually take over as a established Superhero. I can name plenty of sidekicks that replace known superheros. Wally West replaced Barry Allen as the Flash and Dick Grayson replaced Brucie Wayne as Batman. The most common thing about Wally West and Dick Grayson was the fact that they were sidekicks who had experience in fighting crime. I think in my person opinion that people won't hate Miles Morals or have a problem with him if he had been the sidekick of Peter Parker. Miles Morales was just thrown into being Spider-Man which caught many people off guard. Myself included. I don't think it was a race issue. It was the fact of how soon Miles Morals became the replacement without no experience. Its like a person out of college become the head man in charge in a company without prior experience.

If you have anything to add or discus add it.

Why does Miles have to be a sidekick or anyone to be a liked superhero?

Peter was never a sidekick to anyone and was thrown into being Spider-Man, so why should Miles have to be a sidekick if Peter wasn't?

Miles is a different version of Spider-Man and should be considered a stand alone character despite carrying on the name.

Quote Originally Posted by derekakadrock View Post
    It's the writer's fault that some people reacted with racism? What?

Literally all that was reported at the time was that Ultimate Peter Parker was being replaced with a biracial character, so no, anything Bendis had written wasn't a factor in how people responded to the news at all.

Also, Miles's father and uncle have a criminal background because it serves the story, not just because they're black. Did Bendis make Ultimate Ben Reilly a criminal? Or Judge? Or Ultimate Robbie Robertson? None of those characters even talk in "blaxploitation dialogue."

It's like taking offense that someone created an Asian character who happens to be book-smart. Are you just supposed to avoid every perceived stereotype when writing a minority character? That's equally as offensive as filling a character up with stereotypes and leads to a blander character.
    Exactly what I'm saying. Bendis is writing Miles' story like it's a 1970's era blacksploitation movie or a Norman Lear TV show (which, while he had good intentions, often wound up reinforcing the very stereotypes that he was trying so hard to break). He didn't make Ben Reilly a criminal -- but he could have! He could have made Ultimate Peter Parker come from an impoverished white family (yes they exist) or he even could have made Ultimate Peter Parker black. But he didn't.

However, he did introduce Miles Morales, a black youth whose adult male role-models both have criminal backgrounds. Okay, maybe it served the story for Uncle Prowler to have a shady past, but what purpose does it serve for his father to have one? Why couldn't his father just as easily be a millionaire industrialist? (Now that would have been different! Instead of a working-class Spider-man, we could have a One-Percenter with all of his family's resources available to him.) But no. In order for Bendis to be original, he falls back on racial stereotypes. Most of the people who were offended by Miles' ethnicity probably looked at his father and uncle and said, "At least they got that part right."

I still think that the biggest objection to Miles in the beginning was just because of the way Peter was off-handedly moved out of the way for him. The biggest reason that Miles' book continues to decline in sales is Bendis' writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroid View Post
    The biggest reason that Miles' book continues to decline in sales is Bendis' writing.
    The biggest reason for the decline in sales is the writing of the guy who's written every issue since the comic began nearly 13 years ago?
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    The biggest reason for the decline in sales is the writing of the guy who's written every issue since the comic began nearly 13 years ago?
    Even the best writers begin to wear out their welcome eventually.