Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 418
  1. #31

    Default

    I honestly think that more people would be okay with Miles if he was introduced before Peter died or if Peter was still alive and powerless and served as a mentor to him, like Bruce and Terry. A lot of the anger towards him is based on race, and some people dont like him because Peter died and he was replaced so quickly. I think more fans wanted some kind of closure (which is what I was hoping Spider-Men would do) but they didn't get that.

    I really don't like it when people say "You can just read 616 Peter." 616 Peter and Ultimate Peter are two different versions of the same person. They're only similar on the surface, It would be like telling a Power Girl fan "You can just read Supergirl, they're both Kara Zor-El." Most PG fans didn't know if we were going to see her again before World's finest, and even after people are still angry.

    Personally speaking, I wanted to like Miles. I thought that a Spider-Man who looked like me was a really cool thing. Its a shame that we have to justify his existence because he's a black male lead, most of the time its just Black males, not women or other minorities.

    After being skeptical at first, because I liked Ultimate Peter too, I read the first trade with Miles, since Bendis's work reads better in trade. I didn't think that it was bad, but it didn't wow me. I really wanted to jump on the Miles fan train, but its just not happening for me, and that's fine. I still think its good that he has a book, even though I'm not into it.

  2. #32
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I honestly think that more people would be okay with Miles if he was introduced before Peter died or if Peter was still alive and powerless and served as a mentor to him, like Bruce and Terry. A lot of the anger towards him is based on race, and some people dont like him because Peter died and he was replaced so quickly. I think more fans wanted some kind of closure (which is what I was hoping Spider-Men would do) but they didn't get that.
    Is it? How? When has that ever been expressed?

  3. #33
    Senior Member Chris S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    Is it? How? When has that ever been expressed?
    Yea I've never seen this either. I'd love an example. If anything Miles gained a lot of attention because of his race. I've never seen people be negative about it though...
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

    Come join the club!

  4. #34
    1906 Xistel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    You're kidding right? The internet exploded when he was introduced, there was blog after blog written about him being spider man because of Political Correctness, Marvel shilling to minorities, Even Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert mentioned him. The criticism of him replacing peter was mostly drowned out by the racism.
    I don't think it was about racism in the negative sense. It was more because it was a clear unapologetic move by marvel to appeal to minorities and also that Peter was being replaced, I dont remember anyone going "well, spider-man is now black, so i'm not reading"
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

  5. #35
    Senior Member Chris S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    You're kidding right? The internet exploded when he was introduced, there was blog after blog written about him being spider man because of Political Correctness, Marvel shilling to minorities, Even Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert mentioned him. The criticism of him replacing peter was mostly drowned out by the racism.
    Can we have a link to all these racest blogs or a clip from The Daily Show or Colbert Report showing this? I don't read a ton of comic blogs, but I missed over racism entirely. I never saw anyone say they wouldn't read this book because Miles was black.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

    Come join the club!

  6. #36
    No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    What were the racist comments said? I was on the Ultimate board when Miles debuted and all I saw were posters saying how racist people have been; but no one was actually BEING racist. Why would they?

    I never knew being Black meant you were politically correct. What has the colour of someone's skin got to do with politics? You're being very cryptic. What do you mean by politically correct? You're not making any sense when you say that.
    Google.com is your friend, friend. "Miles Morales Racism" / "Miles Morales Gay" / "Miles Morales Spider-Man" / "Donald Glover Spider-Man" will turn up more than a few search results on the racism that vomited all over the comic book forums in 2011, CBR.com in particular, and those combating it with the usual sane and logical rhetoric on the first page alone. It happened and it existed, especially if Fox News, MSNBC and a bunch of comedians took notice of the crapstorm boiling over in the comic book fandom and either fanned the flames of ignorance or made fun of people loosing their heads over it.

    I think the fact that you fail to grasp how of coded and overt racism works in the comic book industry and its fandom, let alone that your even asking how a Person of Color is associated with "Political Correctness" or Politics in general in regards to comic books by people who don't like the idea of POC being the lead or replacement of a white hero in a title, shows just how little of the situation you actually understand, which is not at all.

    But this doesn't surprise me, because you actually confused mine pointing that colej having a problem with a POC and POC whom might be Gay, was attacking colej for his sexuality when I wasn't and I chalked it up to a language/grammar barrier thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    I don't think it was about racism in the negative sense. It was more because it was a clear unapologetic move by marvel to appeal to minorities and also that Peter was being replaced, I don't remember anyone going "well, spider-man is now black, so i'm not reading"
    It was about racism in the negative sense, there is no other kind of racism. And MARVEL COMICS has nothing to apologize for trying to expand their readership into the realms of POC, especially since more readers = more cash. And yeah, there were a whole lotta people using those exact words when Miles was revealed as a Afro-Hispanic character.
    Last edited by Ballard Blues; 12-09-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

  7. #37
    1906 Xistel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,641
    Last edited by Xistel; 12-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    Of all the things you could easily look up about the racism that went on when Miles was introduced, you look up Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert? REALLY?!

    Are you even trying?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Wow, were you guys living under a rock when Miles was announced to the public?
    Apparently they have. If anything it's willful blindness.
    Check out my Spark Comics: http://SparkComic.com
    Cyclops Vs. The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/14oECsT
    Superior Spider-Man Vs The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/122FuwE

  9. #39
    1906 Xistel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparkplug View Post
    Of all the things you could easily look up about the racism that went on when Miles was introduced, you look up Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert? REALLY?!

    Are you even trying?



    Apparently they have. If anything it's willful blindness.
    Someone mentioned jon stewart and Steven Colbert in this racism issue. I just presented them. please, feel free to present yours.

    I don't doubt there were racist comments. I just don't think it was this huge pandora box of racism
    Last edited by Xistel; 12-09-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

  10. #40

    Default

    1. Peters story was ending and people were disappointed because they liked the character and have grown attached to him.

    2. Traditionalists feel that Peter Parker = Spider-man and nobody else should own the role, not even in parallel universes.

    3. Miles was too young for the role, and some aren't able to get past that.

    4. People felt that it was just a gimmick, that Marvel should be worrying about writing good storers instead of relying on big shocking reveals like killing Parker or replacing him. Of course everything in comics starts as a gimmick and what matters most is if the story itself can stand on its own merits without simply relying on it, but thats how people felt.

    5. Some felt this was a move done entirely for Politically correct purposes and were either angry that:

    a. They would only put a black/hispanic kid in to say they did and were taking part in tokenism.

    b. that marvel is foisting an anti-white agenda and want to make things fair for minorities at the expense of those that are Caucasian and are thus racist towards them (not exactly a founded or common opinion mind you)

    6. They're basing their beliefs on something they haven't read and judge only on their perceptual face value even though the comic is out and readable. (fears before the result? sure. Hatred over what you don't know and can find out about? Just wrong)

    7. They hadn't read the excellent second arc detailing the gorgeously written relationship he has with his uncle as Spider-man (because who could hate miles after reading that?)

    okay so that last one was an opinion.

    Keep in mind not all of those have to apply at once. Those are just all the reasons I can think of.
    Last edited by T.M. Anthony; 12-09-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

  11. #41
    Elder Member Froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!
    Posts
    53,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    You could put those search engines in front of anything and get tons of hits. Try putting in "Miles Morales Race." I got hundreds of positive things minus this thread being the third or fourth hit.

    Yes Google.com is your friend. If you are looking for negative things about any topic you can find them. Yes people are racest, but in general USM has received praise for incorporating a Black character.

    The hate for Miles Morales is that he is a boring character who has gotten lucky with every victory he has had.
    As a Spider-Man fan, you really can't put that as a diss towards Miles

    Pete has gotten QUITE lucky and had his ass whooped quite a bit

    Remember Hollywood where Doc Ock kidnapped him and beat his ass?

    he got lucky with Norman Osborn when he returned (for the first time) and he didn't exactly BEAT Electro when he came back

    Peter had QUITE a few screw ups and times where he won on luck too, so I don't think you can diss Miles for having that same quality to some of his stories. Plus this is a false truth, as both of them have gotten lucky or had legit wins. You can say he's boring and you're not a fan, but to diss a quality that he shares with Peter Parker is really weird to me.
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

  12. #42
    Senior Member Chris S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    As a Spider-Man fan, you really can't put that as a diss towards Miles

    Pete has gotten QUITE lucky and had his ass whooped quite a bit

    Remember Hollywood where Doc Ock kidnapped him and beat his ass?

    he got lucky with Norman Osborn when he returned (for the first time) and he didn't exactly BEAT Electro when he came back

    Peter had QUITE a few screw ups and times where he won on luck too, so I don't think you can diss Miles for having that same quality to some of his stories. Plus this is a false truth, as both of them have gotten lucky or had legit wins. You can say he's boring and you're not a fan, but to diss a quality that he shares with Peter Parker is really weird to me.
    Very good points.

    So than he is just simply a boring character... Maybe now that this Ultimate event is over things will pick up. I thought the .1 was a decent issue, but of course it wasn't really about Miles so there you go...
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

    Come join the club!

  13. #43
    Elder Member Froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!
    Posts
    53,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Very good points.

    So than he is just simply a boring character... Maybe now that this Ultimate event is over things will pick up. I thought the .1 was a decent issue, but of course it wasn't really about Miles so there you go...
    like I said, if you don't like the kid, okay that's no big deal. I just think it's unfair to laud him as boring for a quality that he shares with peter parker
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    I did. And from then on for about ninety minutes I went through four very extensive threads about Miles. But I couldn't actually find anything that's considered racist.
    All you have to do is post one example, one post that's racist. Just do that and you'll prove me wrong.
    BASIC GOOGLE SEARCH!
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewn...te-spider-man/

    I remember seeing this article when it came out. THIS is a direct reaction to how the news was taken. It has links to many other articles about it. Granted, 2 of the links have since become broken and the mods heavily bombed the racism in the comments section of each article (As they should and I remember seeing all those comments), but remnants are still very much there. Meanwhile, you can find a plethora of screencaps of racist comments if you bother to look, and the article even links to some.

    I don't like there being any racism about the topic, and not everyone who doesn't like Miles is a racist, but if you're going to insist that it doesn't somewhat exist here, please shut up because you clearly have little idea of what racism is.
    Last edited by SuperSparkplug; 12-09-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Check out my Spark Comics: http://SparkComic.com
    Cyclops Vs. The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/14oECsT
    Superior Spider-Man Vs The Marvel Universe Parody Thread: http://bit.ly/122FuwE

  15. #45
    Elder Member Froggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!
    Posts
    53,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSparkplug View Post
    BASIC GOOGLE SEARCH.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewn...te-spider-man/

    I remember seeing this article when it came out. THIS is a direct reaction to how the news was taken. It has links to many other articles about it. Granted, 2 of the articles don't exist and the mods heavily bombed the racism in the comments section (As they should), but remnants are still very much there. Meanwhile, you can find a plethora of screencaps of racist comments if you bother to look, and the article links to some.

    I don't like there being any racism about the topic, but if you're going to insist that it doesn't exist here, please shut up.
    I mean in this day and age it's pretty easy to find this stuff

    you'd think as comic fans people would get overt and covert uses of something, what with all the hints creators drop in their work

    <_<
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •