Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Why Miles Morales was hated? The real reason!

Miles Morales for those who don't know what the person that replaced Spider-Man when Peter Parker was killed by the Green Goblin in the Ultimate Universe. People didn't like the idea. Now I can see the hate for Miles Morales. First off, he didn't deserve to be Spider-Man because he didn't "put in work". For those who also don't know what "put in work" is it is the basically working hard as a sidekick to eventually take over as a established Superhero. I can name plenty of sidekicks that replace known superheros. Wally West replaced Barry Allen as the Flash and Dick Grayson replaced Brucie Wayne as Batman. The most common thing about Wally West and Dick Grayson was the fact that they were sidekicks who had experience in fighting crime. I think in my person opinion that people won't hate Miles Morals or have a problem with him if he had been the sidekick of Peter Parker. Miles Morales was just thrown into being Spider-Man which caught many people off guard. Myself included. I don't think it was a race issue. It was the fact of how soon Miles Morals became the replacement without no experience. Its like a person out of college become the head man in charge in a company without prior experience.

If you have anything to add or discus add it.

Race was definitely an issue for some fans. Explicitly so in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by rsreed13 View Post
    Race was definitely an issue for some fans. Explicitly so in some cases.
    Even if it wasn't on the grounds of hating him for being black, there were an awful lot of people who accused people of killing Peter for the sake of political correctness. And then Glenn Beck went on television and tried to insinuate the Obamas were somehow behind Peter being killed and replaced.

Definitely racism.

Sure, some fans were just legitimately angry that Ultimate Pete was getting replaced, but most of the people who were really freaking out were freaking out because the replacement was a black kid.

Sure, they would always try to say it was because it wasn't "realistic" for a 13-year old to be a super-hero, or some shit like "he's not the person I grew up with", and sometimes these were legitimate arguments by fans who really didn't want to see Peter go, even though he was fine and well in the mainstream MU.

But under a lot of these arguments were racist remarks about how, because they themselves aren't black, completely disregarding the black and Latino and Hispanic and mixed race fan who make up an important demographic of the geek community, Peter Parker, the person they identify as, can't be anything but white.

And then there were those horrible "fans" who would just skip all that and just say that Spider-Man was white and that Marvel was just trying to be politically correct and to hell with every super-hero who wasn't white or who wasn't white and who had a leadership role.

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    Even if it wasn't on the grounds of hating him for being black, there were an awful lot of people who accused people of killing Peter for the sake of political correctness. And then Glenn Beck went on television and tried to insinuate the Obamas were somehow behind Peter being killed and replaced.
    Miles might be a great character (dunno, never read any stories). And there was some "game" in Miles creation. Appealing to the minorities (he is black and hispanic). Honestly I don't care. I care more that he is Spider-Man (I don't want him to be), than anything else. I'd like to see him be a different hero. his own.

Gleen Beck is a funny man. and crazy. and ridiculous. That's why he is at fox.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

Because if there's one thing we all expect of a Spider-man is intense training and crime-fighting experience before becoming a superhero. /sarcasm
    Thug: Tell... tell my wife i love her...
    Spider-man: No.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    Miles might be a great character (dunno, never read any stories). And there was some "game" in Miles creation. Appealing to the minorities (he is black and hispanic). Honestly I don't care. I care more that he is Spider-Man (I don't want him to be), than anything else. I'd like to see him be a different hero. his own.

Gleen Beck is a funny man. and crazy. and ridiculous. That's why he is at fox.
    But for him to become something significant, he needs to be in a real flag-ship book. No one's going to care about some black side-kick, but they will notice Spider-Man. And that's the thing, for him to become his own character, you can't just let him be on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningMoon View Post
    Because if there's one thing we all expect of a Spider-man is intense training and crime-fighting experience before becoming a superhero. /sarcasm
    I don't think the OP meant it like that.

To be honest, I get a little thrown off by the fact that he is 13, whether or not he is Spider-Man. I kind of already cringe when the hero is like 15 or 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    But for him to become something significant, he needs to be in a real flag-ship book. No one's going to care about some black side-kick, but they will notice Spider-Man. And that's the thing, for him to become his own character, you can't just let him be on his own.
    Yes, I know. he could have been introduced in the Spider-Man book, but take it over. There were a million ways to do it.

If I'm not mistaken they are doing this kind of thing with Alpha (though i don't like the character that much).
    Last edited by Xistel; 12-08-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

Race was definitely a huge factor. A lot of criticism about Parker's death may be legit but I'd put in stock that a high percentage of those making that case were conscientiously/unconsciously hiding behind that argument. My friend was a good example, he hid behind that argument, claimed he had no problems with Miles Morales race, etc. That's fine, but we both know what the real deal is. He is the first to talk criticize the new Green Lanterns "political correctness", he is the first to speak out against Action Comics #9 as being stupid without knowing that Grant Morrison was secretly making fun of people like him, he is the first to point out that Electro is supposed to be white, etc. He isn't a racist, I'm the best friend he's got but he is unconsciously biased towards his personal fantasies. He is a white dude who relates more to white super heroes. It's normal, and it has a lot to do with how mostly all of the important super heroes we grew up with were white males. Now that it's changing, he is naturally resistant. He read the first 3 issues of USM (probably skimmed through it) and decided it wasn't for him. It's a shame because USP has maintained it's quality into the new volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Race was definitely a huge factor. A lot of criticism about Parker's death may be legit but I'd put in stock that a high percentage of those making that case were conscientiously/unconsciously hiding behind that argument. My friend was a good example, he hid behind that argument, claimed he had no problems with Miles Morales race, etc. That's fine, but we both know what the real deal is. He is the first to talk criticize the new Green Lanterns "political correctness", he is the first to speak out against Action Comics #9 as being stupid without knowing that Grant Morrison was secretly making fun of people like him, he is the first to point out that Electro is supposed to be white, etc. He isn't a racist, I'm the best friend he's got but he unconsciously is biased towards his personal fantasies. He is a white dude who relates more to white super heroes. It's normal, and it has a lot to do with how mostly all of the important super heroes we grew up with were white males. Now that it's changing, he is naturally resistant. He read the first 3 issues of USM (probably skimmed through it) and decided it wasn't for him. It's a shame because USP has maintained it's quality into the new volume.
    This is absolutely true. But it doesn't make him a racist. It's easier to identify personally with someone who is closer to you (gender, race, build, etc). I find this to be true with me. It's easier for me to read a book where the main character is a man than if she´s a woman. As you said, and I agree, it's about the personal fantasy. And I also agree, diverse super-heroes is a very good thing, that way you have options for everyone to enjoy. I actually think Jamie Foxx for Electro is pretty sweet
    Last edited by Xistel; 12-08-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Race was definitely a huge factor. A lot of criticism about Parker's death may be legit but I'd put in stock that a high percentage of those making that case were conscientiously/unconsciously hiding behind that argument. My friend was a good example, he hid behind that argument, claimed he had no problems with Miles Morales race, etc. That's fine, but we both know what the real deal is. He is the first to talk criticize the new Green Lanterns "political correctness", he is the first to speak out against Action Comics #9 as being stupid without knowing that Grant Morrison was secretly making fun of people like him, he is the first to point out that Electro is supposed to be white, etc. He isn't a racist, I'm the best friend he's got but he is unconsciously biased towards his personal fantasies. He is a white dude who relates more to white super heroes. It's normal, and it has a lot to do with how mostly all of the important super heroes we grew up with were white males. Now that it's changing, he is naturally resistant. He read the first 3 issues of USM (probably skimmed through it) and decided it wasn't for him. It's a shame because USP has maintained it's quality into the new volume.
    That's exactly what I mean! It's disgusting! And annoying and makes us all look like racists freaks who can't comprehend that society is changing.

And we should all feel honored that Jamie Foxx wants to be Electro!

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Uhhh, I'm sure the more common reason is that he's just not Peter. All the history and all the relationships just ended when he died, where instead people were expecting a continuation. And it didn't really matter that 616 Spider-Man was still a Peter Parker. It was a different Peter Parker with different history and relationships, and everyone who had been reading USM and ASM concurrently at the time obviously knew that. You experience these stories in the point of view of the protagonist. The relationship he or she has, and his or her history is everything in the book, they're why anything mattered and the book wasn't just the adventures of some strangers, but when you change the main character like what happened with Miles... All the history is gone, and all the relationships are gone as well. The best you can hope for is nods to previous stories, and a different relationship formed between pre-existing supporting characters, if you're expecting any semblance of the book you were reading before the change. And neither really happened with Miles, though I'm glad Jessica is partly in it.

To be honest the only thing I really like about the Ultimate Universe now is reading on characters that once knew Peter, which means a lot of Ultimate X-Men.
    Bad news everyone...

It doesn't make you progressive and awesome to call people racist for disliking Miles. He's awesome and I love the lil guy but I don't think even .01% of people who don't like him are being racist. I sort of agree with the sidekick thing though.
    Comics are more better.

Another one of these threads really? Why do these pop up like every other week? -.-

Bendis wanted to kill Peter off and so he did it. Bendis wanted to create a new original Spider-Man so he did. And from what it looks like Peter is not coming back and Miles will stay Ultimate Spider-Man for the future.

Also Peter had no training at first, he was just some loser in school who got beat up and made fun of. And then BAM he became a hero. And Ultimate Peter was just a rehashed version of 616 Peter to start with, before he became Amazing as a character. Miles was just a normal kid who got bit and thus became Spider-Man. He is following in Peter's foot steps. Not all replacement heroes need to have been around in order to become the hero they are replacing. While it would have been nice, it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    I don't think the OP meant it like that.

To be honest, I get a little thrown off by the fact that he is 13, whether or not he is Spider-Man. I kind of already cringe when the hero is like 15 or 16.
    Have you ever seen Avatar The Last Airbender? Aang was what like 10? In fact I was like you, I could not stand really young heroes. But that show changed my mind as well as the novel Brave Story. They both proved the young characters can be heroes. Also Miles is almost 14 now rather Bendis will age the character is unknown but if he does Miles should be 14 soon.
    Last edited by atlasjj; 12-08-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

Ben 10 as well. Dexter, Power Puff Girls, etc. Plenty of action shows have really young protagonists. Heck Damain Wayne is 10. Dick Grayson started at like 8 back in the original days.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February