Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    And even if that is accurate that still goes into my point about how the costume change doesn't mean he's going to be violent and grim and gritty. And like I said, EVERYONE has their costumes altered for film. Why some Superman fans on the internet are so shocked by this is beyond me.
    Because it's Superman. The character is meant to be beyond such things. He is the blue print. All others are just Superhero's but there is only 1 Superman and rightfully so. Go ask any old school writer like Stan Lee or Jack Kirby the same question. They will give you the same answer as me.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    And most people I heard were complaining about Captain America's suit in the Avengers, comic fans and non-comic fans who much preferred the more realistic one he had in his origin film.
    Not so get off on a tangent, but I still feel this way. It's just a better looking suit, and being a man-out-of-time, there's no real reason why he can't wear his WWII suit.

Neither suit, though, looks like this:

Nope, instead they actually mocked this suit:

DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Because it's Superman. The character is meant to be beyond such things. He is the blue print. All others are just Superhero's but there is only 1 Superman and rightfully so. Go ask any old school writer like Stan Lee or Jack Kirby the same question. They will give you the same answer as me.
    I don't really care about their answer though. If they honestly think Superman is above changing with the times and it's the responsibility of everyone else to love and embrace him no matter what then just thank God they aren't running a major business.

Ahh. 2011 and for a good 55 years before that.
    How many times have you used this gif?

So, Pre-Flashpoint, the suit was still made by Ma Kent?

I don't really care about their answer though. If they honestly think Superman is above changing with the times and it's the responsibility of everyone else to love and embrace him no matter what then just thank God they aren't running a major business.
    WOW. You just mocked Stan Lee and JACK KIRBY.. JACK KIRBY.... Really

That's just so

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    How many times have you used this gif?

So, Pre-Flashpoint, the suit was still made by Ma Kent?

Punk's facial expression here goes a long way with a lot of posts..

Yes, Pre Flashpoint the suit was always made by Ma Kent.

WOW. You just mocked Stan Lee and JACK KIRBY.. JACK KIRBY.... Really
    No, it isn't.
    Sitting around and saying that Superman can never change because they need to keep him static for comic fans is just bad business sense. The answer to changing times isn't to stamp your feet and scream about how everyone else is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Yeah, and Iron Man works because it's actually explained and given an in-story reason. Tony Stark is a playboy rich guy and even has his armoured suits painted to resemble sports cars.

The Hulk doesn't wear his bright purple pants, Black Window keeps her suit zipped up, Thor doesn't wear his helmet at all and Hawkeye looks nothing like his original costume. There is some element of realism incorporated.
    What's unrealistic about the classic Superman look? He is invulnerable to bullets. I really don't think he needs chain-mail, do you? In fact, this is a frequent critique of Nu52 Superman - What the hell does Superman need armor for?

Batman's costume changes in the movies make sense because he's physically just a man. Bullets can kill him. Even Burton's Batman movie explicitly explained in the movie itself that this is why Batman had "the putty". For common sense protection. Superman doesn't need that. Realistically speaking, Superman should feel free to wear whatever he wants. Which is partly why what he wears should reflect his personality and character.

And most people I heard were complaining about Captain America's suit in the Avengers, comic fans and non-comic fans who much preferred the more realistic one he had in his origin film.
    And did those complaints stop anybody from going to watch the Avengers? The people defending the Superman costume change aren't just speaking up for personal aesthetic preferences, they seem to saying "This movie would bomb if Superman is in his classic costume"? And I think that's totally wrong.

Are you kidding me? Seriously?

I can't believe how many people I heard complaining about Spider-Man's costume looking darker or the textures which are very similar to the Superman MoS suit.
    The lines on the blue are a bit disconcerting, but otherwise it's classic Spidey (Spidey always had the lines on the red). The dark look in that promo pic is at least partly due to the actual lighting for that pic. Spiderman is bathed in shadows, of course he looks dark (just like that Superman gif looks bright and optimistic - of course it does, Supes is bathed in light).
    Please check out my new anime blog:

http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.com/

No, it isn't.
    Sitting around and saying that Superman can never change because they need to keep him static for comic fans is just bad business sense. The answer to changing times isn't to stamp your feet and scream about how everyone else is wrong.
    Ahh, Business was fine for 75 years. Superman is still the 2nd highest selling product in the world only behind Mickey Mouse and has been for many, many years. And BTW that is the classic look we are talking about. How many shirts do you see walking around with the new 52 look and how many you see walking around with the classic look. Come ask me this again in 5 years and the answer will still be the same and the proof will still be there. People WANT the classic look of the character of any character for that matter.

People WANT the classic look of the character of any character for that matter.
    No, people don't care. Comic fans care. Comic fans are also a small minority.
    As for the T-shirts and other ancillary merchandise? That's not a live action film. What looks good in a drawing isn't always going to translate well to live-action anyway so I'm continually baffled as to why that's the default defense.

And before you go "Well it worked for Reeve!" for the thousandth time, I already explained the point about the escalation of visual SFX and audience expectations.

No, people don't care. Comic fans care. Comic fans are also a small minority.
    As for the T-shirts and other ancillary merchandise? That's not a live action film. What looks good in a drawing isn't always going to translate well to live-action anyway so I'm continually baffled as to why that's the default defense.

And before you go "Well it worked for Reeve!" for the thousandth time, I already explained the point about the escalation of visual SFX and audience expectations.
    Because they are make believe characters. The audience does not need realism to enjoy a movie about a Fake Superhero. All they need is the Hero to look and feel like he or she should. What your saying is the audience is so stupid that they will accept anything that is put in front of them. They know full well what to expect when walking into a movie about Superman, or Batman, or Iron Man. You just think they are either to stupid or need to have it look like real life which is NOT the case.

You just think they are either to stupid or need to have it look like real life.
    No, I know that as times change and things progress, the audience expectations do change. You keep speaking as though I'm talking just about Superman but I'm not. It's cinema and specifically superheroes in general. Captain America isn't wearing tights. Hawkeye isn't wearing purple buccaneer boots. Wolverine isn't wearing spandex and a mask shaped like his hair. That's just the way cinema is.

Saying "Something may seem cheesey" to audiences isn't the same thing as calling them stupid. You don't see them using the same props and visual effects they did in the silent movie era either.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
    What's unrealistic about the classic Superman look? He is invulnerable to bullets. I really don't think he needs chain-mail, do you? In fact, this is a frequent critique of Nu52 Superman - What the hell does Superman need armor for?
    Uh, so that he's not flying around naked?

Between bullets, fires, explosions, or just flying at super-speeds, Superman needs something that's durable and won't rip off when he breaks the sound barrier.

No, I know that as times change and things progress, the audience expectations do change. You keep speaking as though I'm talking just about Superman but I'm not. It's cinema and specifically superheroes in general. Captain America isn't wearing tights. Hawkeye isn't wearing purple buccaneer boots. Wolverine isn't wearing spandex and a mask shaped like his hair. That's just the way cinema is.

Saying "Something may seem cheesey" to audiences isn't the same thing as calling them stupid. You don't see them using the same props and visual effects they did in the silent movie era either.
    But your going to see a movie about a Super Hero. (95% of the people going either read comics or know the character from TV or Cartoons. So who are you trying to impress. The 5% who get dragged to the theater by there friends for a night out. Really?

But your going to see a movie about a Super Hero. (95% of the people going either read comics...)
    Not even remotely true. The audience for the comics is incredibly small compared to the number of people who statistically see the movies. More people actually saw the Avengers movie than have read an Avengers comic or watched an Avengers cartoon. Comics haven't sold in the millions in years.

And even then, just because you know a superhero from comics doesn't mean you can't think those exact designs would look stupid in live action. You can have Hawkeye or Captain America on your backpack and still think those spandex costumes would look hysterical in a live-action movie.
    Last edited by Free-Man; 12-10-2012 at 11:25 AM.