Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 228
  1. #106
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Were talking about this time, this generation that need to have this change for them to enjoy it instead of just respecting the past and accepting that this is Superman and how he looks.

    I'm sorry but I just have a had time accepting anything else but that being the case for these changes.
    Youre right lex.This Generation has no respect for Supermans past-so what you gonna do?Dig your heels in and force the past upon them?No.Thats not going to work-you either tailor Superman to fit their needs whilst repecting the source material as much as possible otherwise superman fails.It doesnt matter the cost because the reward is worth it-it ensures superman stays relevant and vibrant to the generation today.

  2. #107
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
    Youre right lex.This Generation has no respect for Supermans past-so what you gonna do?Dig your heels in and force the past upon them?No.Thats not going to work-you either tailor Superman to fit their needs whilst repecting the source material as much as possible otherwise superman fails.It doesnt matter the cost because the reward is worth it-it ensures superman stays relevant and vibrant to the generation today.
    I guess so, but Superman deserves better then that.

  3. #108
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I guess so, but Superman deserves better then that.
    All superheroes do.But it is something all superheroes must face,the sacrifice to be appealing.Just the way it is and will always be.

  4. #109
    Senior Member Darth Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    And if you'd read almost anything Snyder, Nolan or Goyer have said about the film, you'd know that's not true.
    Yes, because it's utterly inconceivable that movie producers could over-exaggerate certain elements of the film they're producing and/or give a somewhat false impression of it to try to play to different audiences.


    They're putting the character in a realistic setting. From the trailer itself-

    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

    Does that sound like it involves a dark and edgy Superman?
    Then why is his outfit so dark and edgy... literally so, in fact?


    And honestly, I feel like this thread is in bizarro land. Where exactly is this evidence that modern movie-going audiences would not accept a Superman movie with him in his classic costume? If anything, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary (which I brought up on this thread, and which people in favor of the costume change are conveniently ignoring).

    And as for ages... I'm only 31 years old. It's not mere nostalgia driving me here. Heck, the Superman comics I remember best are the Death of Superman trilogy, where we're introduced to loads of different looks for Superman. I just sincerely feel that the classic look is best, and that it remained in place for 70 or more years for a reason.
    Please check out my new anime blog:

    http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.com/

  5. #110
    Senior Member Darth Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
    All superheroes do.But it is something all superheroes must face,the sacrifice to be appealing.Just the way it is and will always be.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	542929_337998502924829_614055574_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	105520

    How many of these superheroes look substantially changed in appearance from their comic book look to you?

    Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, and Black Widow are the spitting image of their comic book selves. Thor is slightly changed, but nothing major. Hawkeye isn't purple any more. So most of these superheroes haven't changed appearance at all from their comic book selves.

    If people can accept a red/golden live-action Iron Man, and a Captain America that looks like that, then they can certainly accept Superman in his classic look.


    Oh, and here's the Amazing Spiderman...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Amazing-Spider-Man-008.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	105522

    Talk about drastic changes, lol. Spiderman's costume is no more "realistic" than Superman's is. If Spidey can get away with this, then why can't Supes?
    Last edited by Darth Joker; 12-10-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Please check out my new anime blog:

    http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.com/

  6. #111
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
    Yes, because it's utterly inconceivable that movie producers could over-exaggerate certain elements of the film they're producing and/or give a somewhat false impression of it to try to play to different audiences.




    Then why is his outfit so dark and edgy... literally so, in fact?


    And honestly, I feel like this thread is in bizarro land. Where exactly is this evidence that modern movie-going audiences would not accept a Superman movie with him in his classic costume? If anything, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary (which I brought up on this thread, and which people in favor of the costume change are conveniently ignoring).


    And as for ages... I'm only 31 years old. It's not mere nostalgia driving me here. Heck, the Superman comics I remember best are the Death of Superman trilogy, where we're introduced to loads of different looks for Superman. I just sincerely feel that the classic look is best, and that it remained in place for 70 or more years for a reason.
    You give this old soul hope my friend..... Thank You

  7. #112
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
    Then why is his outfit so dark and edgy... literally so, in fact?
    Because trying to make it seem more alien or realistic isn't the same thing as making him violent and grim and dark?
    They changed Captain America's costume and had him running around in body armor and a helmet and yet that movie certainly wasn't grim or pessimistic. They just decided the classic outfit wouldn't translate well to the context of a live-action movie.

  8. #113
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    Because trying to make it seem more alien or realistic isn't the same thing as making him violent and grim and dark?
    They changed Captain America's costume and had him running around in body armor and a helmet and yet that movie certainly wasn't grim or pessimistic. They just decided the classic outfit wouldn't translate well to the context of a live-action movie.
    No, they were told to change it because of Jim Lee and Dan Didio doing what they did in the books. Snyder wanted the classic suit to the point of having many different suits made with the classic look. If he really had his way he would have used the classic suit.

  9. #114
    Blue Boba ABH-1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	542929_337998502924829_614055574_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	105520

    How many of these superheroes look substantially changed in appearance from their comic book look to you?

    Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, and Black Widow are the spitting image of their comic book selves. Thor is slightly changed, but nothing major. Hawkeye isn't purple any more. So most of these superheroes haven't changed appearance at all from their comic book selves.

    If people can accept a red/golden live-action Iron Man, and a Captain America that looks like that, then they can certainly accept Superman in his classic look.
    For classic (yet modern) looks, only Hulk and Iron Man fit the bill. That Cap costume doesn't look anything like his most iconic comic version.

    I'd say Thor's changes are the most comparable to MoS Superman's, and it makes sense, since both are from other worlds.
    Last edited by ABH-1979; 12-10-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

  10. #115
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    For classic (yet modern) looks, only Hulk and Iron Man fit the bill. That Cap costume doesn't look anything like his most iconic version.

    I'd say Thor's changes are the most comparable to MoS Superman's, and it makes sense, since both are from other worlds.
    But Superman was raised on our world and his suit was made by his Earth mother. So Superman is as much this world as he is Krypton. The fact that these writers and others have taken that element out of the character is disgraceful.

  11. #116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	542929_337998502924829_614055574_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	105520

    How many of these superheroes look substantially changed in appearance from their comic book look to you?

    Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, and Black Widow are the spitting image of their comic book selves. Thor is slightly changed, but nothing major. Hawkeye isn't purple any more. So most of these superheroes haven't changed appearance at all from their comic book selves.

    If people can accept a red/golden live-action Iron Man, and a Captain America that looks like that, then they can certainly accept Superman in his classic look.
    Yeah, and Iron Man works because it's actually explained and given an in-story reason. Tony Stark is a playboy rich guy and even has his armoured suits painted to resemble sports cars.

    The Hulk doesn't wear his bright purple pants, Black Window keeps her suit zipped up, Thor doesn't wear his helmet at all and Hawkeye looks nothing like his original costume. There is some element of realism incorporated.

    And most people I heard were complaining about Captain America's suit in the Avengers, comic fans and non-comic fans who much preferred the more realistic one he had in his origin film.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
    Oh, and here's the Amazing Spiderman...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-Amazing-Spider-Man-008.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	105522

    Talk about drastic changes, lol. Spiderman's costume is no more "realistic" than Superman's is. If Spidey can get away with this, then why can't Supes?
    Are you kidding me? Seriously?

    I can't believe how many people I heard complaining about Spider-Man's costume looking darker or the textures which are very similar to the Superman MoS suit. You picked a very selective picture, but all the promo art featured this:



    Not exactly bright colourful spandex, is it?

  12. #117
    Blue Boba ABH-1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    But Superman was raised on our world and his suit was made by his Earth mother. So Superman is as much this world as he is Krypton. The fact that these writers and others have taken that element out of the character is disgraceful.
    It can be hard to accept change. When was the last time that Ma Kent creating the Superman-suit, was still in continuity?
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

  13. #118
    Elder Member Free-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    27,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    No, they were told to change it because of Jim Lee and Dan Didio doing what they did in the books. Snyder wanted the classic suit to the point of having many different suits made with the classic look. If he really had his way he would have used the classic suit.
    And even if that is accurate that still goes into my point about how the costume change doesn't mean he's going to be violent and grim and gritty. And like I said, EVERYONE has their costumes altered for film. Why some Superman fans on the internet are so shocked by this is beyond me.

  14. #119
    It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    It can be hard to accept change. When was the last time that Ma Kent creating the Superman-suit, was still in continuity?

    Ahh. 2011 and for a good 55 years before that.

  15. #120
    Senior Member Darth Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    You give this old soul hope my friend..... Thank You
    You're welcome. :) I honestly think the classic look will be back one day, and here's why... They're not giving the public a consistent change to latch unto. Nu52 Superman has significant design differences from new Movie Superman. One has a high collar, the other doesn't. One has chain-mail look, but the other goes so far that you'd think that Tony Stark designed it. One has a red belt, the other doesn't. Then there's the Smallville suit that's also different. Eventually, people will want something consistent. And then classic Supes will be back.
    Please check out my new anime blog:

    http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •