Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Journey into mystery help...

Hey, I've pre-ordered all of the new series up to February (Meaning in february i might have to buy the new one then) and was so hyped for it however, when the first issue came, I just didn't like it, it was SO hard to read and understand, I'm 14 and get stuff like A/A* In english and not to be boasting but I can understand alot of old text but this was just ridicolous, All i can gather from the first story is:
    Sif is on some quest, this dragon thingy was talking to her and she ends up on earth in a cantine? I just don't get it, i might drop this for Hawkeye.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Weird, I've seen this complaint before but I don't get it. Literally the only part that caused me to reread was the bit with the corpse eating dragon who sort of talks in 'song like' manner similar to something out of a artsy fairy tale or play.

I'd say give it one more issue, if it is still hard to understand, then drop it. The first issue has a flowery language story type vibe but if the narration and dialogue aren't to your liking, I don't recommend forcing yourself beyond the next issue if the next issue is more of the same.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I think a LOT people were caught off guard, expecting it to be a simple romp for one reason or another. Some people are turned off, but I thought it was pretty great for a first issue.

It's basic enough, but uniquely written. Plot: she saves a kid and talks to his mom. The conversation sparks an idea for her to improve herself. She reads some old text talking about some awesome Berserkers, and goes to a corpse eating dragon that has an extensive knowledge of the dead he's encountered to find out what he knows about them. She finds out about the teacher of a certain incantation and summons her. They get into a conflict about worthiness but Sif is given the power. She seems to have failed to grasp it....but she's changed regardless.....

Really the best thing is just to re-read it with a bit of patience. And get the second issue.

Well I gonna re read it later.
    Tragic it is that I can't afford the world, hmm, anyways, thanks guys, I knew it wasn't just me who was taken back from this, it's hardly a shakespere tragedy now is it?
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Huh? I didn't notice anything more complex than a children's story book (which is more or less how the issue came across to me).

What are some examples of passages you were unable to understand?
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Mostly the dialogue, I haven't got it on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I think this book was even better after a second read through.

I had less of an issue with the scene jumps, and I feel like I got a better understanding of Sif as a character. She's a strong warrior, proud and fierce. She lives by the sword, for the blood and glory of combat and conquering ones foes. She's loyal to Asgard and its people to a fault. She lives for Asgard and lives to die for Asgard. She sees her and Asgard as one. She dislikes the taint of Midgard seeping into her world. She dislikes how the Asgard she knows pales in comparison to the mighty Asgard she grew up reading about in the tomes in the library. She wonders how Asgard, and by extension herself, could be so weak. So she ventures off on not only on a quest for power, but also one of self-discovery.

At first, I wasn't sure Immonen had given us a good enough hook. I mean the last page is a great page, yet I couldn't fully commit to the story the first time around. After reading again, I see it as Sif having to struggle with the Berserker curse and deciding what is best for Asgard and consequently, herself. Is vanquishing one's enemies worth losing oneself to unending bloodlust and hunger for battle? It's an internal conflict rather than another bad guy of the week, and I like that. Of the female-led first issues I read in the recent Marvel/DC relaunches, I think this one was the most enjoyable.

As for the art, Schiti and Bellaire give us an Asgard that's vibrant and colorful. I tend to prefer this kind of art in my superhero comics and am excited to see what other visual treats they bring us. I immensely enjoyed the latter 2/3s of the book with the Nidhogg and the Teacher, who I hope makes more appearances in the future. spoilers:
    Even if just as a talking head, I really hope she's not down for the count considering how easily she handled Sif just prior and the blissful smile on her face before she was beheaded. Whether neutral or bad, I think she could be an interesting addition to Marvel's Asgard.
    end of spoilers

I'm in for the long haul.
    I think we knew all that already. Sif is never happier than when she's stabbing things. She's proud to the point of arrogance. She doesn't like Midgard, or more accurately she only likes Midgard when it knows its place and doesn't get in her way. Asgard is a shining beacon to her. She would rather never leave Asgard and just spend her life fighting and feasting.

Immonen seems to be taking this characterisation to a head. Sif is going to have to learn that being a warrior isn't everything, that power isn't just by the sword. Dare I say it, achieve wisdom. The influence of Midgard in Asgard having driven her to insanity.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Well said.

I think December 19th is going to be my favorite Marvel day of 2012.