Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Airboy / Air Fighters Comics Discussion

I couple years ago I had read about Macfarlane buying the rights to Eclipse comics and am wondering if Airboy & characters from Airfighter Comics were included with that. I also know Todd used a revamped version The Heap in one of his books so was there word what he would do with any of the other characters. Would be nice to see new Airboy and Valkyrie stuff sometime soon.
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 10-02-2013 at 03:38 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The Airboy: Deadeye miniseries came out earlier this year.

http://www.comics.org/series/66346/

Airboy is in the Public Domain.

McFarlane owns Eclipse's version of Airboy.
    "The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor’s nature. Somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation."

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    The Airboy: Deadeye miniseries came out earlier this year.

http://www.comics.org/series/66346/
    Excellent I've been checking for a preview of the inside artwork on CBR but can't find one. Has anyone seen this book yet, is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
    Airboy is in the Public Domain.

McFarlane owns Eclipse's version of Airboy.
    Does that include the original Heap as well?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Friend View Post

Does that include the original Heap as well?
    Yes. The Heap is in the public domain, but McFarlane owns the Eclipse version.

Excellent I've been checking for a preview of the inside artwork on CBR but can't find one. Has anyone seen this book yet, is it any good?
    It's okay. Nothing outstanding, but I certainly don't regret spending my cash on it.

Oh, that was a great series.

I was a young collector back then and had never heard of Airboy at that time, but I love that series now.

Last edited by hondobrode; 12-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

I could have sworn I saw on Ty Templeton's website that he was working on an Airboy series, but I can't seem to find it now. He'd been trying to do such a series since as far back as 2005.

It's okay. Nothing outstanding, but I certainly don't regret spending my cash on it.
    Thx I'm definitely going to check it out

As I understand it, the new series is based strictly on the golden age character and is set in the 1940's.

It was the modern day, Eclipse version that I loved. I hate it when somebody buys the rights to something and then doesn't use them.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I picked up the first issue of Airboy Deadeye at the comic book shop today,

not realizing the artwork was in black & white or that it was the artwork was manga style until I got it home.

Unfortunately they didn't have the other four issues
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 01-13-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Has anyone read the the one-shot Airboy 1942: Best Of Enemies or the 2 issues of Airfighters that Moonstone released a few years ago? I wondering if they are worth checking out but haven't heard anything about them.

I wouldn't bother with 1942: Best of Enemies. Bad story and cluttered art.

The Airfighters comics were not bad. It was a collection of stories featuring many of the old Hillman aviation heroes, so you not only get Airboy, you also get Iron Ace, Flying Fool, Flying Dutchman, Bald Eagle, Black Angel, Sky Wolf and Captain Midnight.

Other than the The Return of Valkyrie TBP there really aren't any collections of the Eclipse run that I've seen. Are there any plans to release any more trades from the Eclipse run? McFarlane really needs to get his sh!t together regarding this property.

The Airfighters comics were not bad. It was a collection of stories featuring many of the old Hillman aviation heroes, so you not only get Airboy, you also get Iron Ace, Flying Fool, Flying Dutchman, Bald Eagle, Black Angel, Sky Wolf and Captain Midnight.
    Thanx I tried looking for Airfighters at my LCS but they don't have it. I'm gonna keep looking around though.

Recently reread the Eclipse Comics run of Airboy and really enjoyed it especially the Skywolf backups. The backups featuring reprints of the original Air Fighter comics are also fun. I'm wondering how people rate Chuck Dixon's Airboy run compared to some of his other work.