Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Usm #1 question

To start, here's what i already have: annual 1 and 3.. $4 each; #46...$3.25; #106-110...$3.25 each
    I'm at $27.50
    I put $30 down on #1 so i'm at $57.50 and i gotta pay another $70 to take it home.. Ill post again when i do

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Good luck. Considering that a 9.8 of USM 1 is going for right around 300 according to GPA that will be tough.

I just saw a copy of Chew 1 going for 400 or so. 9.8s of that book have gotten out of control. Apparently there is a show in talks, so buy it now.

I saw a nice copy of Invincible 1 at Baltimore Comic Con for $75. I really wish I had grabbed it. Those don't come up for sale all that often.
    Yeah what im hoping to do is just work on collecting the full runs and wait until i come across a deal.. Chew is awesome but i'm not willing to spend $400.. So its unlikely i'll ever get one..especially of the show comes to be.. But im still gonna work on collecting the whole run. I dont have a major emotional attachment to Chew so I'm happy with my #1 being "last bite edition" aka fourth print. Its not worth anything but its there. I would have paid $75 for Invincible 1 for sure.. I actually do have a first print of invincible.. But its the convention edition.. The values not there but it is a first print and easily 9.8. The series I want the most(aside from the complete runs i already have) is Ultimate Spider-Man so thats the only one i wouldn't settle for less than first print on at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    To start, here's what i already have: annual 1 and 3.. $4 each; #46...$3.25; #106-110...$3.25 each
    I'm at $27.50
    I put $30 down on #1 so i'm at $57.50 and i gotta pay another $70 to take it home.. Ill post again when i do
    $100 for issue one? That isn't bad. I just got the copy I bought of the rack signed by Bagley and can't wait to get it back from CGC. If my guy was right my 9.6 jumped to a 9.8 after getting signed!

Have all the rest from there.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

$100 for issue one? That isn't bad. I just got the copy I bought of the rack signed by Bagley and can't wait to get it back from CGC. If my guy was right my 9.6 jumped to a 9.8 after getting signed!

Yeah the price tag was what got me really suspicious.. Because i held the bagged book in my hand and looked it over.. And im no grader but i couldnt find a single flaw.. Like you know when you're at the comic book store the day an issue comes out and you notice a dent or a bent corner so you take a different one? This issue looked like one of the flawless new ones. I'm half expecting to open it up and find pages torn out.. It just makes so little sense. You'd think some guy who flips comics would have seen it and put it on ebay.. But there it was.. The lady told me the white variant cover had been next to it before.. So maybe thats why this one wasnt bought. All i know is i was pretty damn excited.

Getting it for such a low price is awesome because i know someone else could have probably made $300 selling it to someone like me who is passionate about it.. But instead its going straight into my collection and never getting sold... Well until i give it to my grandkids.

Was there a CGC guy present for the autograph? If not, it's not likely to help the value of your comic; it may actually hurt it.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Was there a CGC guy present for the autograph? If not, it's not likely to help the value of your comic; it may actually hurt it.
    an unfortunate truth. I still think that if he decided to actually sell the issue, even if the autograph lowered the grade.. it would probably still raise the price. This is one of the most valuable modern comics.. so in the distant future.. these things going up for sale is gonna be a big deal.. and there will be people available to authenticate the autographs.

Either way though, even if I knew an autograph would bring my grade down, i'd get a Bendis or a Bagley signature in a second because that means something to me

The ONLY issue of Ultimate Spidey I don't own is #1. I do, however, have the reprint and that's good enough for me because the only place near me that actually has one for sale wants $300 for it and I'm not willing to spend that :P
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

an unfortunate truth. I still think that if he decided to actually sell the issue, even if the autograph lowered the grade.. it would probably still raise the price. This is one of the most valuable modern comics.. so in the distant future.. these things going up for sale is gonna be a big deal.. and there will be people available to authenticate the autographs.

Either way though, even if I knew an autograph would bring my grade down, i'd get a Bendis or a Bagley signature in a second because that means something to me
    Oh yeah, for a personal collection, there's nothing wrong with an autograph. But it doesn't help resell value unless you've got a certificate of authenticity or CGC signature series.

Anyway, as to your goal of buying the whole run for under $1000, that shouldn't be a problem. Everything from #10 on should be easy to find at $1 per issue. And even at $3 per issue from #11 to #160 would leave you $550 to spend on the first ten. There's no way I'd spend a grand on the full run.

I know all to well how CGC SS books work; I have about 7 or 8 of them. And when I said "My Guy" that was referring to my guy who authenticates signature series books.

Come join the club!

Oh yeah, for a personal collection, there's nothing wrong with an autograph. But it doesn't help resell value unless you've got a certificate of authenticity or CGC signature series.

Anyway, as to your goal of buying the whole run for under $1000, that shouldn't be a problem. Everything from #10 on should be easy to find at $1 per issue. And even at $3 per issue from #11 to #160 would leave you $550 to spend on the first ten. There's no way I'd spend a grand on the full run.
    I'd actually agree with most of this. The only issue is the issues from 1-10 are pricey, but if he got 1 for $100 then he should be alright.

The link I provided never sold- probably because he was asking too much for it. Heck I bought a complete run of Fables for 200 a month or so ago. 1000 seems a bit high.

Those first ten were low print though and will be hard to get your hands on.

Come join the club!

There is actually a lot of discussion about value of Modern comics. USM issues don't even crack the list from what I've seen. When you have things like Walking Dead, it is no surprise. Issues of WD in 9.8 slabs are going for around 1500. USM isn't anywhere near that high.

It is pretty easy to find people to authenticate signatures for CGC SS books. I found someone right before the Baltimore Con and have stayed in touch with him. He knows I'm a Spidey collector and hits me up before he has signings come up. He had a private signing with Stan Lee a month ago and called me to see if I wanted to get a book signed that he had missed at New York.

If you are series about collecting the books they look great on display in CGC slabs. I have a nice picture rack with a few of mine on display in my office. They are all issues I have readers of or they are contained in trades so I can still read them.

Come join the club!

Nice, I'm sure that CGC SS will be a nice addition to your collection.

Personally, I'd just as soon put the book in a frame and call it a day. I don't really care for having things graded. I'd much rather spend the money on some original art (which I've done), which looks way better on my wall, in my opinion.

Maybe someone can answer this slightly OT question. I have a DF sketch variant of UXm#1 signed by Millar, Kubert and Thibert, I have a COA, is this acceptable if I wanted it graded or does the CGC need to be present when it was signed?
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Maybe someone can answer this slightly OT question. I have a DF sketch variant of UXm#1 signed by Millar, Kubert and Thibert, I have a COA, is this acceptable if I wanted it graded or does the CGC need to be present when it was signed?
    CGC needs to present when it was signed. It will actually hurt the grade and it might even get a green label which is bad. That is the unfortunate thing about Dynamic Forces sketches.

Sorry!

Come join the club!

CGC needs to present when it was signed. It will actually hurt the grade and it might even get a green label which is bad. That is the unfortunate thing about Dynamic Forces sketches.

Sorry!
    That doesn't make sense to me, but thanks for the info.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!