Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Usm #1 question

  1. #1
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default Usm #1 question

    Can someone tell me how to tell the difference between the first print edition and this weird kb toys variant? Ive found a usm #1 that ill be getting an incredible deal on but i have to know before i close the deal if its the real thing or not.. And from the pics ive seen, i cant tell the difference

  2. #2
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    The KB toys reprint has a newsprint cover and a panasonic ad on the back. I used to grade comics :/

    Also, make sure it's not the payless variant. That one is printed on regular comic paper but has a payless ad on the back.
    Last edited by Codah; 12-07-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Comics are more better.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    The KB toys reprint has a newsprint cover and a panasonic ad on the back. I used to grade comics :/

    Also, make sure it's not the payless variant. That one is printed on regular comic paper but has a payless ad on the back.
    Hey man.. I appreciate the help. I've been extremely excited about getting this issue all day after spotting it and seeing such an insanely low price.

    Are there any other details you can help me with? When you say newsprint cover does that mean the cover is literally made from that rough paper that they used on the interiors in the 60s-80s? I didnt get to take the comic out of the bag to feel it.. But the cover looked really heavy and shiny.. I was thinking it kind of reminded me of the thick covers on daredevil man without fear.. But that may have just been my imagination because i only held it in the plastic. I wish i had thought to remember what was on the back. Ill call the shop thats holding it for me tomorrow.
    Im asking all this because the deal seems too good to be true. The cover is goegeous, the corners are razor sharp, the book looks better than some of the books i pulled off the shelf this week..

    Id love for it to be the real deal though.. I never thought i would ever find an affordable copy.. And this one.. Well.. Is it against the rules to post prices on the forum? Is it bad manners? Because id like to tell you this price

  4. #4
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Hey man.. I appreciate the help. I've been extremely excited about getting this issue all day after spotting it and seeing such an insanely low price.

    Are there any other details you can help me with? When you say newsprint cover does that mean the cover is literally made from that rough paper that they used on the interiors in the 60s-80s? I didnt get to take the comic out of the bag to feel it.. But the cover looked really heavy and shiny.. I was thinking it kind of reminded me of the thick covers on daredevil man without fear.. But that may have just been my imagination because i only held it in the plastic. I wish i had thought to remember what was on the back. Ill call the shop thats holding it for me tomorrow.
    Im asking all this because the deal seems too good to be true. The cover is goegeous, the corners are razor sharp, the book looks better than some of the books i pulled off the shelf this week..

    Id love for it to be the real deal though.. I never thought i would ever find an affordable copy.. And this one.. Well.. Is it against the rules to post prices on the forum? Is it bad manners? Because id like to tell you this price
    Yeah if it were newsprint it would be just that, rough like a newspaper and dull. The original USM books did have those thicker covers actually so you're not imagining that. Sounds like the real deal to me. Definitely ask what ad is on the back though. If there's a payless ad or an anti-drug ad, it's a reprint. If it's neither of those and not a newsprint cover, it's most likely legit. IDK the policy on prices around here but I've seen VF's go anywhere from like 50-140 and NM's are usually $185 - $300 these's days. If it seems to be in really good shape, it's probably still around a VF or VF+ just because there's some things you don't notice unless you're trained.

    EDIT:

    That looks confusing so here's what you DONT want.

    -Newsprint cover
    -Panasonic Ad
    -Payless Ad
    -Anti-Drug Ad.

    Any of those things is a no-go.

    If it's none of those, you should be good.

    But yeah, it's not an amazingly expensive book. It's extremely valuable to us, as fans but not quite Amazing Fantasy #15 yet haha.
    Last edited by Codah; 12-08-2012 at 12:59 AM.
    Comics are more better.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Thanks man.. Youve given me the gift of knowledge.. And i'll be using that knowledge tomorrow when i call the store.. Theyre holding the book for me.. I already put $30 down on it because i didnt realize there was the chance it could be the wrong version. But now my mind is at ease because with the stuff you told me ill be able to get the info i need over the phone.. Even if the employee has no clue.

    I completely agree with you about the real value of the issue is non monetary.. Anyone who starts buyimg comics as an investment is gonna be real disappointed.. But even when i do have a comic I could be making money on.. I dont.. Because the comics are more valuable to me personally. But its the cost thats discouraged me all this time. After i finished collecting all of UCSM(i started at death of spider-man.. I hadnt bought a comic in 17 years) i decided to try to track down all of the original usms.. But when i thought i coukdnt afford #1, i was discouraged and decided not to try to collectthe rest... But now the flame is reignited.. I found one of my white whales at a crazy good price.. And once i have that issue #1 i can start the hunt for the rest of them. I have a few comic reading friends and we love taking mini road trips to comic shops to dig through their back issues.

    I'll post again after I find out.. If its no good, its no big deal brcause im still Pretty excited about another white whale i found in the same shop. It was Peter Panzerfaust #1.. The only issue i didnt have in first print. That i got for $25 nm even as they sell between 70 and 100 on ebay.. I knew enough about that issue so i bought it on the spot qmd put down $30 toward the usm.. So now its being held for me and if it turns out to be the real deal.. Its mine.. And i swear this thimg is nm or close.. No fading, no dents, even staples, sharp corners and no sign of aging. I hope its for real! Thanks again

  6. #6
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    No problem, man. USM was the first comic I bought regularly so I'm lucky enough to have a #1. Hopefully you will too soon.
    Comics are more better.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Ok well it looks like i have the real deal.. I called the shop thats holding it for me and the guy was actually pretty knowledgeable about it.. He said it was a first printing and checked the back for me.. And apparently it was a gummy savers ad..please tell me thats correct.

    But i did ask him about the bar code and the number ended in 0111.. Which i know means issue 1 print 1 so i feel pretty confident now. If anyone knows anything i dont.. Dont be afraid if crushing my spirits.. Id rather find out before i buy it if its a reprint

  8. #8
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    You're good, man. That's the correct ad. Congratulations, brodude.
    Comics are more better.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    You're good, man. That's the correct ad. Congratulations, brodude.
    Awesome. Thanks man.. Only 132 issues to go! Kind of exciting actually.. The journey is its own reward.

  10. #10
    Alrighty Then atlasjj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Awesome. Thanks man.. Only 132 issues to go! Kind of exciting actually.. The journey is its own reward.
    Good luck with getting all the issues. I would hate to have to do it all over again. So glad I began back with issue 1.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Chris S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Awesome. Thanks man.. Only 132 issues to go! Kind of exciting actually.. The journey is its own reward.
    I spend time on the Collectors Boards. It is a boards connected with the CGC company. People always come along trying to move entire runs of USM for a reasonable price. It might be worth it to join those boards and keep an eye out for those threads.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

    Come join the club!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    I spend time on the Collectors Boards. It is a boards connected with the CGC company. People always come along trying to move entire runs of USM for a reasonable price. It might be worth it to join those boards and keep an eye out for those threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by atlasjj View Post
    Good luck with getting all the issues. I would hate to have to do it all over again. So glad I began back with issue 1.
    Thanks guys.. And thanks for the advice on buying the entire run in one bite.. But for me that would ruin it completely. Buying it all at once would be like just owning someone elses collection. Any rich dude can have any run of comic books he wants. If i just wanted to read the whole run.. The collected editions would be enough.

    What i meant by "the journey is it's own reward" was that the long process of hunting down every issue is where all the fun is. Do you have issues in your collection that you can tell a story about the day you got it? Thats the best part.. And when it's complete i'll have something to be really proud of, and a pile pf great memories. I love getting into a comic shop 300 milea from my house and digging through the long boxes with my list of wanted comics on my phone.

    When i came back to comics.. I started reading Daredevil at #9. I read the first 8 digitally. The series became really impprtant to me.. So i set out to find the first 8. I could have had the whole collection in 1 day if i went on ebay and paid $15-$25 for each issue... But with immense patience i believed i could get them all at no more than a dollar up from cover price.. And one by one i got them.. Instead of spending cash.. I spent time.. And i got to go on multiple road trips.. See new comic shops.. Etc. i went to visit my older brother in philly.. And he asked me where i wanted to go... There were about 10 comic shops. On that trip i found 3 issues i needed. With comics.. I have something to do wherever i go. Ive been searching for cable & deadpool issues with skottie young covers. I had decided USM wouldn't be a series i could do that with.. Because paying top dollar for that first issue would ruin all the fun. Now that i found it for a really good deal.. The sealed front door on Ultimate Spider-Man is open and the hunt has begun. I'd rather search until I'm 50 than just buy it all at once.
    When i look at my Daredevil collection.. I have a sense of pride.. And its not because i own them all its because i found them all.
    Another good example is Peter Panzerfaust. When i came back to comics i was a month late for that series and i ended up with all 1st printings except for #1. Over time I loved the series so much i got frustrated about that missing 1st print. I looked on ebay and if i wanted to spend $80 i could have had it immediately.. But would i be able to brag to my buddies about my complete run? No.. Because anyone could have it if they threw $ at it. Instead I was patient.. And the other nite i found a shop that had saved one issue from their original order.. And they had it behind the counter.. Kind of hard to see, with a sticky note that said
    "#1 FIRST PRINT
    LISTS FOR $130.00 IN BLEEDING COOL MAG
    $25
    NO DISCOUNT"
    I couldnt afford that because of xmas shopping so i asked her to hold it and she refused because apparently there were several others looking at it. i told her my emotional story about it being the only missing piece in my collection and about my brother and i bonding over the book and i even offered to come back with $35 for it.. And i guess she felt i deserved the book so she held it for me and i got a $75-$130 comic for $25.. Not even the $35 i offered..Now which story would you rather tell when someone looks at your collection.. The great deal and the sweet comic book store lady saving the book after being moved by how bad i genuinely wanted to own the book.. Or the time you went on ebay and bought it for exactly what it's worth?

    I take pride in owning issues that are valuable enough to turn a significant profit.. And not selling them. Thats where the bragging rights come from. I could make big money on this but im not giving it up because its worth more to me. Know what i mean? I take pride in my collection because I collected it. Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel series.. And i'll be done reading it in trades long before i get all the actual issues.. Im in no rush.

    Out of curiosity.. What kind of prices are people asking for those complete runs? I can set a goal to get them all for less.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Chris S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Thanks guys.. And thanks for the advice on buying the entire run in one bite.. But for me that would ruin it completely. Buying it all at once would be like just owning someone elses collection. Any rich dude can have any run of comic books he wants. If i just wanted to read the whole run.. The collected editions would be enough.

    What i meant by "the journey is it's own reward" was that the long process of hunting down every issue is where all the fun is. Do you have issues in your collection that you can tell a story about the day you got it? Thats the best part.. And when it's complete i'll have something to be really proud of, and a pile pf great memories. I love getting into a comic shop 300 milea from my house and digging through the long boxes with my list of wanted comics on my phone.

    When i came back to comics.. I started reading Daredevil at #9. I read the first 8 digitally. The series became really impprtant to me.. So i set out to find the first 8. I could have had the whole collection in 1 day if i went on ebay and paid $15-$25 for each issue... But with immense patience i believed i could get them all at no more than a dollar up from cover price.. And one by one i got them.. Instead of spending cash.. I spent time.. And i got to go on multiple road trips.. See new comic shops.. Etc. i went to visit my older brother in philly.. And he asked me where i wanted to go... There were about 10 comic shops. On that trip i found 3 issues i needed. With comics.. I have something to do wherever i go. Ive been searching for cable & deadpool issues with skottie young covers. I had decided USM wouldn't be a series i could do that with.. Because paying top dollar for that first issue would ruin all the fun. Now that i found it for a really good deal.. The sealed front door on Ultimate Spider-Man is open and the hunt has begun. I'd rather search until I'm 50 than just buy it all at once.
    When i look at my Daredevil collection.. I have a sense of pride.. And its not because i own them all its because i found them all.
    Another good example is Peter Panzerfaust. When i came back to comics i was a month late for that series and i ended up with all 1st printings except for #1. Over time I loved the series so much i got frustrated about that missing 1st print. I looked on ebay and if i wanted to spend $80 i could have had it immediately.. But would i be able to brag to my buddies about my complete run? No.. Because anyone could have it if they threw $ at it. Instead I was patient.. And the other nite i found a shop that had saved one issue from their original order.. And they had it behind the counter.. Kind of hard to see, with a sticky note that said
    "#1 FIRST PRINT
    LISTS FOR $130.00 IN BLEEDING COOL MAG
    $25
    NO DISCOUNT"
    I couldnt afford that because of xmas shopping so i asked her to hold it and she refused because apparently there were several others looking at it. i told her my emotional story about it being the only missing piece in my collection and about my brother and i bonding over the book and i even offered to come back with $35 for it.. And i guess she felt i deserved the book so she held it for me and i got a $75-$130 comic for $25.. Not even the $35 i offered..Now which story would you rather tell when someone looks at your collection.. The great deal and the sweet comic book store lady saving the book after being moved by how bad i genuinely wanted to own the book.. Or the time you went on ebay and bought it for exactly what it's worth?

    I take pride in owning issues that are valuable enough to turn a significant profit.. And not selling them. Thats where the bragging rights come from. I could make big money on this but im not giving it up because its worth more to me. Know what i mean? I take pride in my collection because I collected it. Ultimate Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel series.. And i'll be done reading it in trades long before i get all the actual issues.. Im in no rush.

    Out of curiosity.. What kind of prices are people asking for those complete runs? I can set a goal to get them all for less.
    Just over a thousand. And that is with the first issue.
    Last edited by Chris S.; 12-10-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

    Come join the club!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Just over a thousand. And that is with the first issue.
    Sounds like a good challenge to me.. I really don't know what i'm in for but i'm gonna keep track.. And im gonna make it my goal to spend no more than $999.99.

    I'm gonna post about my progress in this thread.. Along with prices. I won't be buying anything low grade.. Im not super particular but i'm going for sharp corners, no rips or fading, no dents, and wear on the spine should be barely noticeable.

    Maybe i'll start a blog about hunting for USM, Invincible, Chew, Cable & Deadpool #37-50, and maybe 1 or 2 others

  15. #15
    Senior Member Chris S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Sounds like a good challenge to me.. I really don't know what i'm in for but i'm gonna keep track.. And im gonna make it my goal to spend no more than $999.99.

    I'm gonna post about my progress in this thread.. Along with prices. I won't be buying anything low grade.. Im not super particular but i'm going for sharp corners, no rips or fading, no dents, and wear on the spine should be barely noticeable.

    Maybe i'll start a blog about hunting for USM, Invincible, Chew, Cable & Deadpool #37-50, and maybe 1 or 2 others
    Good luck. Considering that a 9.8 of USM 1 is going for right around 300 according to GPA that will be tough.

    I just saw a copy of Chew 1 going for 400 or so. 9.8s of that book have gotten out of control. Apparently there is a show in talks, so buy it now.

    I saw a nice copy of Invincible 1 at Baltimore Comic Con for $75. I really wish I had grabbed it. Those don't come up for sale all that often.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

    Come join the club!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •