Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 94
  1. #61
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Neither has Darksied, or any number of other villains. And yet the Justice League reguarly kick their arses.
    Lex wasn't brought up as if he was a god either, but he often thinks of himself as the only important person on the planet.

  2. #62
    Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Exactly. Lex is not a good person either. Or the Penguin, or Vandal Savage or Black Adam. You can say that the gods were raised to be as they are, but if we applied that logic to the other beings with their level of power you might as well release all the Supervillains and sign the deed for Earth over to Apokalips.
    Well, the difficulty with the Greek Gods in Greek mythology is that they aren't supervillains either. They are horrible people, but they serve a purpose as the incarnation of a concept. Without Appolo, no sun and all the problems it implies. Without Persephone, no spring. Without Hades, no place to go when you die. They are a necessary evil, in a way.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  3. #63
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, the difficulty with the Greek Gods in Greek mythology is that they aren't supervillains either. They are horrible people, but they serve a purpose as the incarnation of a concept. Without Appolo, no sun and all the problems it implies. Without Persephone, no spring. Without Hades, no place to go when you die. They are a necessary evil, in a way.
    Of course that falls apart in the mythological kitchen sink that is the DC universe. Should the Greek gods be destroyed we could always get the less dickish (but equally incesty) Egyptian gods to do those jobs.

  4. #64
    Senior Member dreyga2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alatheus View Post
    Well, I think it's pretty self-centered. No human knows what it is to be a god. Their constitution is based on eons of existence and immense power. For someone to expect a god to follow codes of human ethics and morality is pretty amusing. And to what morality should they be held to? To the morality of present day western society? To the morality of ancient Greece? To the morality of humans 1,000 years from now?

    So I stand by my original statement. It's silly.
    100% agreed
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

    -Jeff Brady

    Quoted for truth....

  5. #65
    Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDracul View Post
    Of course that falls apart in the mythological kitchen sink that is the DC universe. Should the Greek gods be destroyed we could always get the less dickish (but equally incesty) Egyptian gods to do those jobs.
    Yep, but just like the Justice League doesn't invade Apokolips to destitute Darkseid and restrain themselves into preventing him from invading Earth, superheros have no reason to attack Olympus until it poses a serious threat, even if they are completely dickish.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  6. #66
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Well that and the no kill policy most Leaguers have means they'd need to build a prison literally capable of holding a god when there has yet to be a prison in the DC universe capable of holding a murderous clown.

  7. #67
    Junior Member Alatheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Neither has Darksied, or any number of other villains. And yet the Justice League reguarly kick their arses.
    The Justice League isn't kicking their arses because of their morality or ethics. It is their actions that are problem. They present a threat.
    Pluto, you'll always be a planet to me.

  8. #68
    Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDracul View Post
    Well that and the no kill policy most Leaguers have means they'd need to build a prison literally capable of holding a god when there has yet to be a prison in the DC universe capable of holding a murderous clown.
    Phantom Zone projector.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  9. #69
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, the difficulty with the Greek Gods in Greek mythology is that they aren't supervillains either. They are horrible people, but they serve a purpose as the incarnation of a concept. Without Appolo, no sun and all the problems it implies. Without Persephone, no spring. Without Hades, no place to go when you die. They are a necessary evil, in a way.
    No, they are not.

    The gods may have attached themselves to a belief about the physical universe, but there are plenty of stars that burn in the galaxy without having any life floating around them whatsoever. They may be the incanation of a concept, but the human beings that came up with that idea have only been around for 4 000 years and the sun has been burning a good deal longer. Vandal Savage could attest to that
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  10. #70
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alatheus View Post
    The Justice League isn't kicking their arses because of their morality or ethics. It is their actions that are problem. They present a threat.
    So do the gods. Apollo and Artemis' actions tore up a town, and the latter murdered three people in the first issue. Eros indulges in mind control with no though to the conquences, effectively putting him in the same catergory as a drug dealer. Hera murdered Sirraca's mother and then the child herself.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  11. #71
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Phantom Zone projector.
    Or Science cages on Oa.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  12. #72
    Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No, they are not.

    The gods may have attached themselves to a belief about the physical universe, but there are plenty of stars that burn in the galaxy without having any life floating around them whatsoever. They may be the incanation of a concept, but the human beings that came up with that idea have only been around for 4 000 years and the sun has been burning a good deal longer. Vandal Savage could attest to that
    I was referring to the Greek Myths, where the Gods created mankind and the action of the Titan Prometheus gave it fire and by extension technology, not the DCU.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  13. #73
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    So do the gods. Apollo and Artemis' actions tore up a town, and the latter murdered three people in the first issue. Eros indulges in mind control with no though to the conquences, effectively putting him in the same catergory as a drug dealer. Hera murdered Sirraca's mother and then the child herself.
    And that puts them on the same level as Darkseid?

    The Olympians conduct all their crimes on such a small level that it for the most parts goes unnoticed by most of the world. Not to mention, I kinda doubt it will be a victory for the good guys if the Justice League decided to try and storm Olympus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Phantom Zone projector.
    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Or Science cages on Oa.
    Neither of those would work, the Phantom Stranger only became stuck in the Phantom Zone because some of the inhabitants restrained him, he could leave without a problem after he was freed (possibly he could leave before that and was just waiting for Superman).
    And the Sciencells get melted by plasma puke.

  14. #74
    Junior Member Alatheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    So do the gods. Apollo and Artemis' actions tore up a town, and the latter murdered three people in the first issue. Eros indulges in mind control with no though to the conquences, effectively putting him in the same catergory as a drug dealer. Hera murdered Sirraca's mother and then the child herself.
    I don't get what your point is here. What does this have to do with the fact that a god's morality is different than a human being's morality? In fact you're only proving my point. And none of these "analogies" is equivalent to Zeus cheating on his sister-wife with Hippolyta.
    Pluto, you'll always be a planet to me.

  15. #75
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alatheus View Post
    I don't get what your point is here. What does this have to do with the fact that a god's morality is different than a human being's morality? In fact you're only proving my point. And none of these "analogies" is equivalent to Zeus cheating on his sister-wife with Hippolyta.
    It's to the point that from a human perspective most of the Greek gods are about on par with super villains. It really doesn't make much sense why a group like the Justice League wouldn't treat them as such. The fact that they don't see themselves as evil is irrelevant as virtually no one sees themselves as evil (even if the recognize their own actions as evil they will come up with justifications or excuses). To say the Greek gods should be excused for their actions is to say the Justice League is wrong to oppose Darksied as he too is a god.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •