Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 353
  1. #271
    Gigantic Member ispacehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    Nah nah nah. You said it was only mentioned in one elseworlds, busted busted.
    .
    Actually, I stated that only one example was provided.

  2. #272
    Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    I love that scene, but still find it unfortunate that it leads him from awesome bat-suit to less awesome bat-suit. Still, the idea that he would never want to scare kids; that should remain a constant.
    I agree. But at the same time, I don't think it should be taken so far as to be a rule like no-killing is. Batman inhabits a dark, gritty world, and he's not going hold back all the time just because there are children watching.

  3. #273
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower00044 View Post
    No he wouldn't. Batman is pretty goal orientated. He does what he needs to do to get the job done.
    Goal oriented means isolate and interrogate the guy who has the info you need, not break down the wall of someone's home Kool Aid Man style and make seven year old kids run screaming from the room.

    Deadpool has more tact. At least he would've apologized.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 12-13-2012 at 03:07 PM.

  4. #274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Goal oreinted means isolate and interrogate the guy who has the info you need, not break down the wall of someone's home Kool Aid Man style and make seven year old kids run screaming from the room.

    Deadpool has more tact. At least he would've apologized.
    I think he would do that under normal circumstances, but he is pressed for time and is losing his cool to some extent to save Alfred. I can't see him waiting outside for dinner to be over while he knows Alfred is in the hands of Joker.
    Superhero Popularity Study

    New and improved second poll is up!

  5. #275
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Batman was too much of a jerk in TNBA, but they still had him be right almost all the time. The point was that he'd do whatever was necessary as Batman, and then leave the human stuff to Bruce Wayne. He was just as much a jerk as Batman when they showed that Bruce Wayne hired the man and asked how his family was doing from to time. They even had the guy say that getting accosted by Batman in his own house changed his life for the better and that he was grateful for it. So at the end Dick realized that he misjudged the whole situation and what Bruce was doing.
    I don't think it was quite that black & white, but I can't confirm that one way or the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    What stopped Batman in the episode was Robin reaction to his actions though and there was no "Robin" with him in this instance. I do believe this isn't something Batman would do ordinarily but I do think this scene shows how off balanced the Joker has made Batman and how desperate he is for any information that might lead him to finding Alfred because he resorted to such an action. This man had that information and Batman felt he didn't have the time to waste waiting to get the guy alone.
    Which is acceptable, but why some acknowledgement of that fact would've been appropriate.

    Otherwise we're just left with one more instance of Bruce acting like a brat.

  6. #276
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubbauw View Post
    I can't see him waiting outside for dinner to be over while he knows Alfred is in the hands of Joker.
    Nor can I.

    You have to realize (and I mean no offense), that this is fiction, and the man Batman needed to get to didn't have to be at the dinner table.

    He could've been home, lounging alone on the couch. Out on his back porch. He could've left the dining room to go upstairs and found Batman up there waiting for him, away from his family.

    Snyder had the man sitting at the dinner table because he wanted Batman to break in like that in front of his family. Snyder wanted to see kids run screaming from Batman.

    And it got the intended reaction, I suppose, because everyone thought it was awesome. But it certainly isn't heroic, and don't be surprised when Batman's own allies call him out on it. This does seem like a setup for conflict because Bruce is taking it all too far.

    I'm just not personally interested in another story like this.

  7. #277

    Default

    I fucking LOVED this issue. The best of the DotF arc so far. Not sure how anyone could really dislike it, tbh. People are so picky about comic books. This issue was great. The art was fucking brilliant from that first page to the last, which connected to the first and made it all come full circle. For the first time during this arc I actually can't wait to read the next issue. It's driving me crazy!

    Batman and Robin 15 was also outstanding with brilliant twisted artwork.

  8. #278
    just does things Vil_Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    Actually, I stated that only one example was provided.



    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Nor can I.

    You have to realize (and I mean no offense), that this is fiction, and the man Batman needed to get to didn't have to be at the dinner table.

    He could've been home, lounging alone on the couch. Out on his back porch. He could've left the dining room to go upstairs and found Batman up there waiting for him, away from his family.

    Snyder had the man sitting at the dinner table because he wanted Batman to break in like that in front of his family. Snyder wanted to see kids run screaming from Batman.

    And it got the intended reaction, I suppose, because everyone thought it was awesome. But it certainly isn't heroic, and don't be surprised when Batman's own allies call him out on it. This does seem like a setup for conflict because Bruce is taking it all too far.

    I'm just not personally interested in another story like this.
    Yeah that's why Snyder wrote that scene like that. Just to show Batman scaring kids. It definitely couldn't have been to draw a direct parallel between the man who is compromised by the Joker because he is trying to protect his family, with Batman, and what he will have to do, or what danger he will put himself in, to protect his own family from the Joker who is threatening them. Nah, couldn't be that.


  9. #279
    Gigantic Member ispacehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    I think B&R was better, though.
    Definitely. Not a difficult feat, but still...

  10. #280
    Gigantic Member ispacehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    And in Broken City

    And in Joker's Apprentice

    And that LODK story with him and Jim Gordon

    And that Teen Titans story where Lex makes fun of Joker's batman love

    And that weird a$$ Showcase issue where he dreams of tearing his face off (deja vu)

    And the most recent issue of Catwoman.
    Oh and for the record I only see one example on your list that was actually in Tec or Batman.

    I don't remember the moment in that specifically, but a humorous allusion is far different from "looking into his eyes and seeing love" or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    Um....Is that supposed to be funny?

  11. #281
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    Yeah that's why Snyder wrote that scene like that. Just to show Batman scaring kids. It definitely couldn't have been to draw a direct parallel between the man who is compromised by the Joker because he is trying to protect his family, with Batman, and what he will have to do, or what danger he will put himself in, to protect his own family from the Joker who is threatening them. Nah, couldn't be that.
    You're assuming that I meant scaring children was the sole intent of the scene. Obviously (and as I've already acknowledged), the point was to show Bruce as desperate. The key phrase you're missing in that last paragraph, and something else that was intended by the writer, was to show what danger Batman will put others in.

    That's kind of the key to the whole middle part of the issue where Batman's allies were mad at him. I don't blame you if you skipped that section though, it was wordy and boring.

    So what's your point?

  12. #282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Nor can I.

    You have to realize (and I mean no offense), that this is fiction, and the man Batman needed to get to didn't have to be at the dinner table.

    He could've been home, lounging alone on the couch. Out on his back porch. He could've left the dining room to go upstairs and found Batman up there waiting for him, away from his family.

    Snyder had the man sitting at the dinner table because he wanted Batman to break in like that in front of his family. Snyder wanted to see kids run screaming from Batman.

    And it got the intended reaction, I suppose, because everyone thought it was awesome. But it certainly isn't heroic, and don't be surprised when Batman's own allies call him out on it. This does seem like a setup for conflict because Bruce is taking it all too far.

    I'm just not personally interested in another story like this.
    Haha I know it's fiction don't worry. I totally agree with everything you said up until the last sentence. The point was to show how successful Joker has been in messing with Batman's head. To show how desperate he is essentially.

    But I can understand why you would not be interested in this. This type of story can get old, throughout all forms of media. Bad guy hurting them on the inside, amongst each other instead of directly. Guess this is a perk of being "Junior" and not "Senior!" All plot concepts are still new to me!
    Superhero Popularity Study

    New and improved second poll is up!

  13. #283
    just does things Vil_Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    Oh and for the record I only see one example on your list that was actually in Tec or Batman.

    I don't remember the moment in that specifically, but a humorous allusion is far different from "looking into his eyes and seeing love" or whatever.
    What you mean in broken city? I think Joker said " I love surprises almost as much as I love you." And Batman said "You don't love me!" So you see he needs to see it in the eyes, because he's a romantic.

    Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    Um....Is that supposed to be funny?
    It's always supposed to be funny.


    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    You're assuming that I meant scaring children was the sole intent of the scene. Obviously (and as I've already acknowledged), the point was to show Bruce as desperate. The key phrase you're missing in that last paragraph, and something else that was intended by the writer, was to show what danger Batman will put others in.

    That's kind of the key to the whole middle part of the issue where Batman's allies were mad at him. I don't blame you if you skipped that section though, it was wordy and boring.

    So what's your point?
    What's your point? Why are you making a big deal about this scene?

    You don't like that Snyder set up a scene where the dude helping the Joker is eating with his family and Bats just busts in and freaks everyone out. That Snyder should have had the dude alone. Are we back in the days of the comics code authority? Oh the children, think of the children! What were they in danger of, wetting their pull ups? They are already in danger by the fact that their father works at Arkham and Joker is threatening to kill them. And the batfamily was in danger the minute they agreed to be a member of the batfamily. Duh, it's a dangerous job. Other Bad guys have figured out Bruce's identity, Ras, Bane, and what did the batfamily do about it? Nothing! So why don't they kiss Bruce's big bat a$$.

  14. #284
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    Are we back in the days of the comics code authority? Oh the children, think of the children!
    That's absurd. No one's made the claim that there was objectionable content for minors or that this should've been censored in any way. That you came to that conclusion from the comments made shows a serious lack of comprehension. That, or a complete refusal to take anyone's opinion seriously but your own, in which case why bother with a discussion?

    They are already in danger by the fact that their father works at Arkham and Joker is threatening to kill them.
    Yeah, their dad clearly has made some poor life choices.
    And the batfamily was in danger the minute they agreed to be a member of the batfamily. Duh, it's a dangerous job.
    Indeed.

    Other Bad guys have figured out Bruce's identity, Ras, Bane,
    Uh-huh.

    and what did the batfamily do about it? Nothing! So why don't they kiss Bruce's big bat a$$.
    Oh, i'm sure they did a bit more than "nothing". Putting that aside, you seem to be taking the reactions of fictional characters a bit personally there.

    Not surprising, since you tend to take every discussion personally.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 12-13-2012 at 04:41 PM.

  15. #285
    just does things Vil_Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    That's absurd. No one's made the claim that there was objectionable content for minors or that this should've been censored in any way. That you came to that conclusion from the comments made shows a serious lack of comprehension.
    I wasn't talking about children reading the comic, I was talking about you clutching your pearls because Snyder had Bats freak out a bunch of kids during their special family time.


    Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Oh, i'm sure they did a bit more than "nothing". Putting that aside, you seem to be taking the reactions of fictional characters a bit personally there.

    Not surprising, since you tend to take every discussion personally.
    No I don't. That's just how I talk. I'm exhuberant

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •