Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 318
  1. #151
    The Truth Hurts
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    (And would it kill ya to pick up Spidey?!?!?)

    SW
    Hi Steve,

    Long-time fan here (which I realize will get everyone here calling me a sycophant, once they've looked up the word to find out what it means), just wanted to say I actually enjoy the back-and-forth you have with fans both in the letter columns and places like this. I read a lot of your books; I'm on record as saying I hated "One More Day" and all that went with it, but I have to admit that I've really enjoyed a lot (not all, but a lot) of the Spider-Man stories that came after it. I don't like all your stuff (I must be the only one in the world who Just. Can't. Stand. Humberto Ramos' artwork), but by and large I've tended to notice that most of the stuff I do like at Marvel comes out of your office (Scarlet Spider, Rucka's Punisher, and the two best books Marvel puts out right now, Daredevil and Hawkeye). I'm glad you do things that piss people off, because I do think that good drama comes out of making characters people like and then torturing the hell out of them--it's certainly worked well for Marvel in the past, and comics would be boring indeed if Spider-Man was a guy who defeated all his enemies easily, was loved and adored by the public, and never had much in the way of any kind of obstacles in his path. I think it was Joss Whedon who says that he gives his audiences what they need, not what they want, and that seems about right to me (upon further reflection, that might have been Barbara Cartland. I always confuse those two).

    Anyway, now that I've nauseated everyone here who hates you, I'll shut up. I am dubious about Superior Spider-Man, but I'll give it a try, and I'll happily eat my words if I end up liking it. (If I hate it, I'll just go back to reading bad "New 52" comics and mourning the cancellation of OMAC.)

  2. #152
    The D stands for Dennis D. Perez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Im not gonna believe that Peter as Spidey is gonna be gone forever. Is hype, but if it works and makes people more interest in Superior then it works. Though I still think Slott has overhyped 700 (As he tend to do IMO)
    Personally I'm still on the fence with the book. I'm not really that interest in reading a spidey book witout Peter (I have Ultimate for that) but I'm probably gonna give the first 3-4 issues a try and then see.
    On another note, really enjoying Hawkeye. How many books are Wacker editing now. Is seem like he is slowly taking over every marvel comic
    In the middle of the night...

  3. #153
    Senior Member okpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AUS
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Man, this thread is all kinds of hilarious.

    CBR forums. Come for the articles, stay for the car crashes.

  4. #154
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I_Captain Blanco View Post
    Hi Steve,

    Long-time fan here (which I realize will get everyone here calling me a sycophant, once they've looked up the word to find out what it means), just wanted to say I actually enjoy the back-and-forth you have with fans both in the letter columns and places like this. I read a lot of your books; I'm on record as saying I hated "One More Day" and all that went with it, but I have to admit that I've really enjoyed a lot (not all, but a lot) of the Spider-Man stories that came after it. I don't like all your stuff (I must be the only one in the world who Just. Can't. Stand. Humberto Ramos' artwork), but by and large I've tended to notice that most of the stuff I do like at Marvel comes out of your office (Scarlet Spider, Rucka's Punisher, and the two best books Marvel puts out right now, Daredevil and Hawkeye). I'm glad you do things that piss people off, because I do think that good drama comes out of making characters people like and then torturing the hell out of them--it's certainly worked well for Marvel in the past, and comics would be boring indeed if Spider-Man was a guy who defeated all his enemies easily, was loved and adored by the public, and never had much in the way of any kind of obstacles in his path. I think it was Joss Whedon who says that he gives his audiences what they need, not what they want, and that seems about right to me (upon further reflection, that might have been Barbara Cartland. I always confuse those two).

    Anyway, now that I've nauseated everyone here who hates you, I'll shut up. I am dubious about Superior Spider-Man, but I'll give it a try, and I'll happily eat my words if I end up liking it. (If I hate it, I'll just go back to reading bad "New 52" comics and mourning the cancellation of OMAC.)
    This is really nice. Thanks! (And, yes, I'm nauseous, but it's for different reasons).

    Be careful though. There are folks here like MAcQ who will say that you don't "really" like the books. You just think you do.

    Giving the books a try are all we ask, so that seems like a good plan. As you seem to understand, These books are meant to be entertainment, not a hostile challenge.

    SW

  5. #155
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceglaciers View Post
    Well, I've been a little confused as to what's going on with ol' web-head lately, just from browsing the forum, but I'll check out this new series when it begins. I was not so sure what to make of what I heard -- "dark" is usually not my cup of tea, and is really what led me to lose touch with things back in the late 80s -- but I'll give it a peek in the store and see if I'm able to follow it, and then we'll see! A small stroke a while back knocked my ability to process visual information down a little bit, which is why I tend to stick with square panels and such.
    Reading on an app as someone suggested does seem perfect.

    If you set up a Marvel account Private Message me your login name and I'll set you up with a free issue.

    SW

  6. #156
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    214

    Default

    So to get this straight, SW just straight up alienated all of the "Peter Parker" fans without a second thought and when people state they don't like what they're hearing, he makes comments about how the comics aren't for them and how they'll be able to handle them in a couple years? I don't know what's going to happen in 700, so I'm going to read it and see. But I think it's suffice to say that if everything SW is implying here is actually true, I sure hope Superior bombs. You don't deserve the fanbase you have if that's the way you're treating them.

    The fact that you think a character and world change to Spider-man is something you could do as with other Marvel Characters is HILARIOUS. You clearly don't get Spider-Man at all. Peter Parker fans are spider-man fans because spider-man is Peter Parker. It isn't a mantle or something that anyone could pick up. Spider-man is about the life and struggles of an everyday guy who fate had bestowed great powers upon and he has to balance a very hard life with his great responsibilities. It's not about some guy in red and blue kicking ass, it's about Peter Parker and his journey and growth.
    Last edited by DamnYellow; 12-08-2012 at 06:03 AM.

  7. #157
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYellow View Post
    So to get this straight, SW just straight up alienated all of the "Peter Parker" fans without a second thought and when people state they don't like what they're hearing, he makes comments about how the comics aren't for them and how they'll be able to handle them in a couple years? I don't know what's going to happen in 700, so I'm going to read it and see. But I think it's suffice to say that if everything SW is implying here is actually true, I sure hope Superior bombs. You don't deserve the fanbase you have if that's the way you're treating them.

    The fact that you think a character and world change to Spider-man is something you could do as with other Marvel Characters is HILARIOUS. You clearly don't get Spider-Man at all. Peter Parker fans are spider-man fans because spider-man is Peter Parker. It isn't a mantle or something that anyone could pick up. Spider-man is about the life and struggles of an everyday guy who fate had bestowed great powers upon and he has to balance a very hard life with his great responsibilities. It's not about some guy in red and blue kicking ass, it's about Peter Parker and his journey and growth.
    I clearly don't understand anything about the book. It's even sadder that I've worked on more issues than anyone.

    Hope you like 700!

    SW

  8. #158

    Default

    I'm still not sure about Superior Spider-Man. I can see the appeal of a Spider-Man that's a little darker and more edgy, but I can't see that sort of thing working long term. Ben Riley didn't stay Spider-Man after he took over and if the new Spider-Man isn't Peter Parker, I can't see that lasting forever either. I wouldn't mind if someone like Kaine took over since Yost has done a great job with his character in Scarlet Spider. I wouldn't mind another Ben Riley either. But in the end, I think Marvel is walking a dangerous line with Peter Parker. If they make him too dark just for the sake of it, that's not going to be good for the series. But I'm willing to give it a chance, depending on how #700 plays out.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

    X-men Supreme

  9. #159

    Default

    Long time Spider fan, grew up with Marvel Tales reprints of Stan & Steve issues. Hated One More Day but love what's come of it mostly. I was thinking I'd be done with Spidey, jump off come 700 and pick up the trade editions if the new guy looks interesting, which I've done with the rest of Marvel Now, except for Scarlet Spider which I love.

    That's not going to happen. I like the idea of Dan Slott writing this, with the love he's obviously got for the character there's no way he'd do this if he didn't have a good story to tell and good stories is why I buy. So I'm in for the long haul probably.

    Plus I'm willing to bet Pete will be back when the next movie comes out, so I'm not so worried.

  10. #160
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    Discuss the topic, not each other and let's not get personal.

  11. #161
    Bishop was right. Sighphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Slott View Post
    If DC had really felt that way, Barry never would've went away in the first place...

    ...wait. Scratch that.

    JAY never would have went away in the first place!

    Jay Garrick is the ONE and ONLY Flash! ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

    Just Kidding.

    Flash should really be Bart.

    *ducks*
    You are comparing Spider-man to the Flash? Man.....


    Wacker: There is no “good” story that brings Gwen back.
    See, that's because the writers over there have no imagination anymore.
    I would make a kick-ass story where i bring Gwen back inside of Uncle Ben's body.
    Or maybe Aunt may..... and Pete would finally reveal his tremendous strange notion about not letting old lady May die even when she asks for it.


    Wacker: The organic web-shooters were always part of the “Other” powers Spidey got a few years back. Those were always shown to come-and-go. So for right now those powers are still gone.

    I can tell you though that if you ask me this question again in 12 months you might get a slightly different answer
    When were these things shown to come and go?
    Outside of the story when they came and when Marvel randomly had them go, that is.
    Last edited by Sighphi; 12-08-2012 at 07:55 AM.

  12. #162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    I clearly don't understand anything about the book. It's even sadder that I've worked on more issues than anyone.

    Hope you like 700!

    SW
    Is a Marvel editor really trolling a comic books message board? I've never heard of this Wacker guy before and now I can honestly say I would avoid anything that has his name on it because he has made such a negative impression. Not interested in supporting trolls.

  13. #163
    Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    Eh, I think here's no point bringing Gwen back much as I love her. Honestly, if a writer manages to do it an pull it off well kudos. I'd buy it if turned out to be a good story. I just don't see any benefits to bringing her back to Peter's life other than for him to ask her why in the world she'd sleep with Osborn, which would only help to cement that story so no thanks.

    I laughed reading Wacker's responses during the interview cause I was anticipating the reaction here on the forum. Boy I was not disappointed lol.

  14. #164
    Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KPhilipsen View Post
    Is a Marvel editor really trolling a comic books message board? I've never heard of this Wacker guy before and now I can honestly say I would avoid anything that has his name on it because he has made such a negative impression. Not interested in supporting trolls.
    Never heard of Wack off? He did 52 over at DC, has been on Spider-Man since BND and also covers Captain Marvel, Hawkeye and Daredevil. Hmm, never noticed before now but Wacker edits all of my favorite Marvel books currently, outside of Avengers.

  15. #165
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KPhilipsen View Post
    Is a Marvel editor really trolling a comic books message board? I've never heard of this Wacker guy before and now I can honestly say I would avoid anything that has his name on it because he has made such a negative impression. Not interested in supporting trolls.
    Precisely what I was trying to say. In the interview he seems to entirely throw away his "Peter Parker fans" like they don't really matter, and when people say they don't like it, he comes and says very snarky things to them including vague insults about their age group not being part of the intended audience. What a star.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •