Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

If they're going to make changes like this, DC should have gone a little farther and made Dr. Fate into an Egyptian woman.

EDIT: Also, I think this change isn't a bad idea, especially in light of how "Kent Nelson" is the Whitest-sounding name ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Who know's? Perhaps they did, but others thought Robinson had a better idea?
    I'm really not trying to make any over-complicated point in this that justifies this many posts: I think DC in general, the company that still has Didio, the man who saw Gerber create his version of Dr Fate, in charge should keep the character around out of respect. Nothing more. Simply my opinion, based on an obviously sentimental view over the situationn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    I'm really not trying to make any over-complicated point in this that justifies this many posts: I think DC in general, the company that still has Didio, the man who saw Gerber create his version of Dr Fate, in charge should keep the character around out of respect. Nothing more. Simply my opinion, based on an obviously sentimental view over the situationn.
    I think people are having trouble understanding why anyone would get that sentimental about it, so they are doing their best to understand :)
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    I think people are having trouble understanding why anyone would get that sentimental about it, so they are doing their best to understand :)
    A man last work was "killed" after barelly being used. I think is not that hard to understand.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Neither is it particularly complicated to understand that DC as an entity is not particularly sentimental if it thinks it can do better.
    Added Didio is not the guy who's got the big say on character designs these days. Not to mention if they really wanted to use that idea, they would have done so years ago.

BANNED

Neither is it particularly complicated to understand that DC as an entity is not particularly sentimental if it thinks it can do better.
    I've been saying that since the beginning -.-'

Added Didio is not the guy who's got the big say on character designs these days.
    He's still the boss. If he wanted Kent Nelson, it would've been Kent Nelson.

Not to mention if they really wanted to use that idea, they would have done so years ago.
    He was being used in JSA.

The new Dr. Fate. All he does is win. LOL

Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

*sigh*

You know, I'm Arab. And as much as I'd like to see more Arab superheroes, I'd rather they be originals, like Al Jabr over in Demon Knights. Not replacing other superheroes for the sake of diversity. While some might point out that Doctor Fate has been a shared alias, I'd like to point out in turn that there are two most recognized amongst them: Kent Nelson & Hector Hall. The latter literally can't exist right now, and Robinson has had no problem younging down Alan Scott & Jay Garrick. So why replace Nelson? And with an Egyptian*?

Meh.

*I don't have a problem with that so much, but the Egyptian aspect that's been added to Nabu is something that (IMO) should have been easily excised in favor of the historical Nabu, aka the Babylonian god of wisdom, writing, fertility, water and the keeper of the Tablets of Destiny, in which the fate of humankind was recorded (meaning he writes the destiny of each human being, and determining the length of their life). The son of Marduk (aka chief among the Babylonian gods and eternal enemy of Tiamat and her son Kingu)? Maybe maintain some ties to the Egyptian pantheon through friendship with Anubis (aka the guy whose amulet he has and role in death could be a reason as to why he took up the ankh as a symbol)?

But then, I've never liked the Lords of Order & Chaos as a backstory, or Nabu's ties to Egyptian magic at the same time as Shazam, Sargon, Hawkman & Hawkgirl, and half a dozen others...
    Last edited by MrHashasheen; 12-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBikle View Post
    If they're going to make changes like this, DC should have gone a little farther and made Dr. Fate into an Egyptian woman.

EDIT: Also, I think this change isn't a bad idea, especially in light of how "Kent Nelson" is the Whitest-sounding name ever.
    Unlike "Khalid" for the clichéd meaning of "immortal" or "eternal" ... :)

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    Meh.

*I don't have a problem with that so much, but the Egyptian aspect that's been added to Nabu is something that (IMO) should have been easily excised in favor of the historical Nabu, aka the Babylonian god of wisdom, writing, fertility, water and the keeper of the Tablets of Destiny, in which the fate of humankind was recorded (meaning he writes the destiny of each human being, and determining the length of their life). The son of Marduk (aka chief among the Babylonian gods and eternal enemy of Tiamat and her son Kingu)? Maybe maintain some ties to the Egyptian pantheon through friendship with Anubis (aka the guy whose amulet he has and role in death could be a reason as to why he took up the ankh as a symbol)?
    In the 1920's (and earlier I think), people were fascinated by Egyptian mythology and all of its imagery (pyramids with curses, traps and treasure, hieroglyphics, sarcophagi,the clothing), Ancient Egypt sort of became a prop for writers over other cultures and I think the Mummy movie in the 30's pushed it further.

But then, I've never liked the Lords of Order & Chaos as a backstory, or Nabu's ties to Egyptian magic at the same time as Shazam, Sargon, Hawkman & Hawkgirl, and half a dozen others...
    ...the silver age Blue Beetle, Metamorpho, Ibis the Invincible... It is interesting how many DC characters and inherited characters were tied to Egyptian lore.

Quote Originally Posted by impulsegamer View Post
    Unlike "Khalid" for the clichéd meaning of "immortal" or "eternal" ... :)
    Yeah, now that you mention it, there do seem to be a lot of characters called Khalid...

Yeah, now that you mention it, there do seem to be a lot of characters called Khalid...
    Who said anything about a lot of characters called Khalid?

In the 1920's (and earlier I think), people were fascinated by Egyptian mythology and all of its imagery (pyramids with curses, traps and treasure, hieroglyphics, sarcophagi,the clothing), Ancient Egypt sort of became a prop for writers over other cultures and I think the Mummy movie in the 30's pushed it further.
    Actually, the Golden Age Doctor Fate was a collection of inspirations with the basis being H.P. Lovecraft.

The premise that casting a new person as Doctor Fate is "wrong" because the character is Arab and this is "obviously" pandering to diversity is HILARIOUS in the context of everyone who was against the Alan Scott change saying "why didn't they just make a new character Green Lantern if they wanted diversity?" But of course, they don't really want that. They want it to be the same large collection of white guys, which is really just boring to look at. Ah, fandom, don't ever change...

I, personally, think this makes perfect sense and am excited for The Power of Fate to start in February. It should be awesome. Can't wait to see a design of Doctor Fate in costume!
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    ...uh...so?
    Seriously. People will whine about anything.

Fate is a HELMET, not a single character. There have been other people to wear the helmet besides Kent Nelson.

Why do we have to go through this same outrage with every new issue of Earth-2? "OMFG!!! SOMETHING IS DIFFERENT THAN BEFORE!!!" Yes, yes, we get it already. It's a new world. What part of that idea is causing some people to struggle so badly?