Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Go for it, posters will respond!
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Cool thread - reminds me there's still a lot of great stuff to be discovered! (thanks hondobrode )

Agreed on Scalped and in particular, Unknown Soldier. Wow I loved that series. Would easily make my own Top 5.

And with that, with everyone putting up their own lists, I'm wondering... is it worth doing this properly? A CBR Vertigo Board poll comprised of member submissions. I'd be happy to kick it off and count the votes - it would be similar to a Batman trades poll I've run the last two years the latest which can be seen here (another link inside that post will take you to the full count, voting rules, eligible entries etc)

The only thing is I don't think it'd be worth doing unless people were submitting lists of 1-20. If not 20 then at least 15. The result of a 1-10 poll would just be too predictable, and there's too much great Vertigo stuff out there. Making a ranking should require effort and a vote of 20 would produce list with really interesting results in the 15-30 range, interesting to new and old Vertigo fans alike. Doing this on the Batman board requires a serious investment of time, I know I myself would be very keen to see the outcome of a Vertigo poll but only if enough others are interested too. ??
    Do it! I'm all for it
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Never really thought about reading Vertigo, but now I'm finding it just as good, if not better than regular DC. Just started Sandman and now I'm wanting to read all these top 10, especially 100 Bullets, Preacher and Hellblazer. It might take a long long time to read them all, but hey, it seems worth it.
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

Cool thread - reminds me there's still a lot of great stuff to be discovered! (thanks hondobrode )

Agreed on Scalped and in particular, Unknown Soldier. Wow I loved that series. Would easily make my own Top 5.

And with that, with everyone putting up their own lists, I'm wondering... is it worth doing this properly? A CBR Vertigo Board poll comprised of member submissions. I'd be happy to kick it off and count the votes - it would be similar to a Batman trades poll I've run the last two years the latest which can be seen here (another link inside that post will take you to the full count, voting rules, eligible entries etc)

The only thing is I don't think it'd be worth doing unless people were submitting lists of 1-20. If not 20 then at least 15. The result of a 1-10 poll would just be too predictable, and there's too much great Vertigo stuff out there. Making a ranking should require effort and a vote of 20 would produce list with really interesting results in the 15-30 range, interesting to new and old Vertigo fans alike. Doing this on the Batman board requires a serious investment of time, I know I myself would be very keen to see the outcome of a Vertigo poll but only if enough others are interested too. ??
    I don't know if I'd be able to contribute (I think I've only read 13 Vertigo books, that I can think of. Though I did pick up the first volume of Scalped yesterday, so I may be able to get it up to 15 series before the end of the poll...) but I'd be very interested in reading the results of a poll like this.

I'd be very interested in seeing how this turns out.

I'd give you my vote :)

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    And what do you think made these creators so popular?
    Preacher for Ennis and Transmetropolitan for Ellis are among their very best work. Same with 100 Bullets and Azzarello, not forgetting Risso's fantastic storytelling.
    Its Vertigo nostalgia and early famous works by Ennis and Ellis really. Only this thread there is many who find Preacher overrated. Its just my opinion too. Look at Garth Ennis recommendation thread in community forum, there are many comics mentioned before Preacher like his war comics,Hitman,Max Punisher,Hellblazer.

Im not dissing Risso i rate 100 Bullets more for his artwork than Azzerello's writing, im like one of those thought 100 Bullets was awesome but lost its way long before the ending.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Its Vertigo nostalgia and early famous works by Ennis and Ellis really. Only this thread there is many who find Preacher overrated. Its just my opinion too. Look at Garth Ennis recommendation thread in community forum, there are many comics mentioned before Preacher like his war comics,Hitman,Max Punisher,Hellblazer.

Vertigo nostalgia? As in "Vertigo was better before than it is now"? OK, then I'm a Vertigo nostalgic. Early works or not is irrelevant - I do consider Preacher and Transmetropolitan as worthy of a Top 10 Vertigo list. Same with 100 Bullets.

As for Ennis, yes, I also think he has a few better works than Preacher and said so in the thread you're referring to. But most of them aren't Vertigo books, which we're discussing here. The only exception are his War Stories - which I put at #3 in my list here, before Preacher.
    Last edited by passer-by; 12-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Vertigo nostalgia? As in "Vertigo was better before than it is now"? OK, then I'm a Vertigo nostalgic. Early works or not is irrelevant - I do consider Preacher and Transmetropolitan as worthy of a Top 10 Vertigo list. Same with 100 Bullets.

As for Ennis, yes, I also think he has a few better works than Preacher and said so in the thread you're referring to. But most of them aren't Vertigo books, which we're discussing here. The only exception are his War Stories - which I put at #3 in my list here, before Preacher.
    While I put Preacher in my top 5 Vertigo, I'm just waiting for a bulk 'War Stories' purchase to arrive (7 of the 8). Looking forward to reading these and seeing if my opinion changes re Preacher.

Also, True Faith isn't too bad a read either.

Heh then we agree I think Preacher is good but Overrated Ennis work. I meant some fans are nostalgic about Preacher and didnt mean nostalgic about Vertigo in general because it was much better before than now.

I would rate War stories, HB as best Ennis Vertigo.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk