Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    BANNED

Is Madame Xanadu worth getting? I do like Matt Wagner's Batman and Sandman.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It is, plus you get Amy Reeder's art.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Brode, couldn't you just link the images instead of posting?

Having to scroll down and see all these images with no explanations is a bit annoying.
    Hey you guys, it started out as 10 of my top under-rated titles and then kinda grew into a visual run through of some lesser known titles.

I'll add some comments.

CBR is my favorite board site, and since we're talking about our favorite subject, comics (words & pictures) I try to illustrate with pics. I usually comment but didn't here.

I'll do it.

Others I've heard about, and am sure I'd like, but I haven't read them yet, like Air or Greek Street or The Unwritten.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    MADAME XANADU was a great comic, one that was a lot of "New Age-y" fun and I was very disappointed when it was cancelled so that Madame X could rejoin the standard DCU or rather, the New52. However, I just didn't think it was a Top 10 Vertigo title which is why I didn't complain about it not making this list.

Xan is a great character, one that Wagner worked very hard to define and his efforts haven't been in vain, as the writers of JLDark and Demon Knights are using many of the themes he created.

(I just wish the colorist of JLDark would remember that Xan has GREEN EYES! *groan*)
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

BANNED

Sounds good, I'll pick up the first volume. I'm liking the character quite a bit in Demon Knights.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Need more comics like this.

The last two issues made cry, hard.
    nice to see I wasn't the only who cried at the end of Daytripper.
    Comics were happier before the Internet turned writing superhero stories into fruitless attempts to impress/entertain a small group of ppl who appear to hate comics and their creators.
    Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    I dont like epic meandring novels. I like Hemingway schoool and those type of authors. To the point much better than meandring,pretentious epicness to me.
    That doesn't mean a novel is pretentious. I just love the layering and layering in a novel. Take "The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao" for example, giving us a story about 3 generations of a family living in New York/New Jersey that are originally from the Dominican Republic. It just would not be the same using the short story format.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    I can never understand Preacher love myself, great lead characthers but uneven and crude early Ennis. Brillant Saint of killers special but i think Ennis HB run is better.

This list is too much popular creator name only imo. Transmetro is hardly best Vertigo, 100 bullets.....
    Where is Scalped?
    Agreed on Ennis. It is very uneven. Scalped left off the list is also pretty off base.
    Last edited by Brave Sir Robbin; 12-09-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O'Neill View Post
    That doesn't mean a novel is pretentious. I just love the layering and layering in a novel. Take "The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao" for example, giving us a story about 3 generations of a family living in New York/New Jersey that are originally from the Dominican Republic. It just would not be the same using the short story format.
    No it doesnt mean its pretentious but that is the case often in my reading experience. It depends on the author. Even in great bigger novels you have to get past the author wasting time showing off. I find it interesting many of 1900s classics are short books that tell important stories anyway. Im not dissing high modernism experimenting novels like Proust,Joyce and co.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Well said.

Flash Fiction sounds cool, and I know the famous Hemmingway one.

I want to read some Felix Feneon, his flash fiction is supposed to great.

Lots of reviews of his work on the net and some people even post examples of what is contained in this trove.

Here's an example, a gem.

"Scheid, of Dunkirk, fired three times at his wife. Since he missed every shot, he decided to aim at his mother-in-law, and connected."
    Last edited by Karl O'Neill; 12-09-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I agree with Libaax to an extent, but I don't mind reading epic novels. As long as they can grab me throughout the whole thing. Hell, Terra Nostra, Yo El Supremo, and 2666, are spme of my favorite books and they're huge!

The Islands by Carlos Gamerro, is another marvelous book to check out.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 12-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

To be honest I was never that impressed with Fables. I read something like the first 10 trades from a friend and I wasn't really that impressed over all. Preacher is fun, but Ennis' Punisher and Hellblazer runs are both better I think.

I would add Unknown Solider on there somewhere.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

BANNED

Fables is massively overrated.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post

The main character here is depressed and recently separated from his girlfriend and decided to end it all on midnight with an overdose of sleeping pills. After having ingested them, she later surprises him at his apartment wanting to make up. Now what ?! He's got to stop the process asap in order to live. Love, lies, laughter, panic, and drama with this being the perfect example of what the form is capable of from the genius of Kyle Baker, reminding me in the best way of Harvey Kurtzman's work. Highest praise.
    This sounds awesome. I've never heard of it before.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Yeah, never got the praise of Fables but Y is overrated as well.
    BB