Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Squares View Post
    I actually couldn't finish Animal Man, embarrassingly enough. I got to issue three or so and stopped reading; I have a very low tolerance for animal abuse, and I ended up just putting the comic down after the scene with the dogs and the cat...
    Oh that's good because you wouldn't have been able to stomach the dolphin issue.

Frankly, thinking about that bad guy and the rest of the villainous characters, that run had at times some very cartoonishly evil villains that felt like a combination of Captain Planet; Walker, Texas Ranger; and cliche PSA villainy. No depth to them at all.

Since some people are tossing out their favorite Vertigo titles, here's mine. Remember, my list rankings are about how much I enjoyed the title. The more deep, layered, symbolic titles or classics aren't higher on the list because they failed to be enjoyable on some level. There's also titles I haven't read yet (The Invisibles), so they can't be on the list

10. DMZ
    9. Joe the Barbarian
    8. Jamie Delano's Hellblazer
    7. Sweet Tooth
    6. Saucer Country
    5. American Vampire
    4. iZombie
    3. Scalped
    2. Fables
    1. The Unwritten

Honorable Mentions: Y: The Last Man & Madame Xanadu

I also read these titles as well, but didn't think they were good enough to break my list: Moore's Swamp Thing, 100 Bullets, Sandman, Animal Man, Preacher, Pride of Bagdad, Nevermore (comic book adaption)
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 12-08-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Outlaw Nation is getting an omnibus? :o
    BB

Well it's not like any of the other characters had any depth in Morrison's run.
    BB

Image made an omnibus collection for Outlaw Nation some time ago didn't they? I seem to remember seeing it go by when I was looking at the Previews.

edit: Here it is, and only $8.79 What the Hell, total steal.
    Last edited by Omega Key; 12-08-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Oh, it's another B&W one. Desperado Publishing printed the same thing years ago.
    BB

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Key View Post
    I love Scalped, but I wouldn't take any of the listed titles out for it. I'd sooner give a spot to already mentioned The Unwritten or Lucifer, or rather give Animal Man and Doom Patrol their own one (total cheat-mode by CBR :D )

Sandman as the top spot is predictable, but at the same time if it wasn't we'd have people here complaining about it too no doubt.They should do a follow-up and like hondobrode did above, mention the less know gems in Vertigo history. Everybody basically already knows about the ones mentioned in the article. Some examples which I wouldn't put in the bestest ever top 10 in history, but which I could recommend fully:

. Brubaker's Deadenders
    . Milligan's Human Target 4 issue mini series
    . Jason Hall's Trigger (died way too soon)
    . Delano's Outlaw Nation (ditto, omnibus available at Image now so maybe it doesn't count as Vertigo anymore :D )
    . Ennis' Unknown Soldier
    Add Dsyart to Unknown soldier
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

What about Milligan's Human Target ongoing?
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by themac View Post
    With all this Vertigo love, I'm surprised there's been no mention of The Unwrittten. Great read!
    Yeah while I'm sure Unwritten gets good reviews, it doesn't seem to be getting any of the buzz it should be. For me, it's the last Vertigo book of the entire 90s Vertigo movement.

Well it's not like Scalped got any buzz either. Meanwhile American Vampire gets buzz...
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Well it's not like Scalped got any buzz either. Meanwhile American Vampire gets buzz...
    If we are talking about buzz,popularity over acclaim. Any story with Vampire is better than best ever Vertigo series. If you think bestseller list=quality

I like American Vampire but its not better than Scalped to me. Unwritten might be like that, known and acclaimed by fewer people,comics critics than the popularity of other comics.

I mean Fables is the biggest Vertigo sales,popularity wise but i dont hear it being best right now by many Vertigo readers,critics.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    What about Milligan's Human Target ongoing?
    Its good but i think the first mini with Edvin Biukovic is the best and more impressive than the ongoing i think. Have you any Human Target vertigo? Its pretty special series with the issues it deals with. The ongoing was very good but the series deserved better ending to me.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Its good but i think the first mini with Edvin Biukovic is the best and more impressive than the ongoing i think. Have you any Human Target vertigo? Its pretty special series with the issues it deals with. The ongoing was very good but the series deserved better ending to me.
    I've read the ongoing but not the mini. Probably going to get a trade of it soon. Well it did it get cancelled.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    If we are talking about buzz,popularity over acclaim. Any story with Vampire is better than best ever Vertigo series. If you think bestseller list=quality

I like American Vampire but its not better than Scalped to me. Unwritten might be like that, known and acclaimed by fewer people,comics critics than the popularity of other comics.

I mean Fables is the biggest Vertigo sales,popularity wise but i dont hear it being best right now by many Vertigo readers,critics.
    Well buzz for me is getting attention that it should get. It's pretty saddening when series like Scalped, Unwritten and etc. don't get the attention they deserve.
    BB

There will be as many lists as people in the thread and that's natural. I see no point in giving mine, but I think there's another Vertigo series that doesn't get enough buzz and was only mentioned once so far by jesse_custer - the maxiseries Daytripper. A beautiful look at life and death. A well-deserving Eisner Best Limited Series winner in 2011.

(And I second Ennis' War Stories.)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8477057-daytripper

Last edited by passer-by; 12-08-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    On the topic of length, I think 100 Bullets would have been better if it was called, perhaps...40 Bullets.
    so Azz and Risso's next book should be.....40 Hand Grenades!

I would read that, dang it would be amazing
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo