Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Default Should Thor leave the Avengers?

Thor is a founding Avenger but he's treated like fodder.

Writers talk about how much they like him but all he seems to be good at is knocked out. The low point of this was him being knocked out by his own lightning in Secret Avengers.

In fact, he's the only founding Avenger that got his butt kicked in AVX.

The Avengers these days is basically Captain America/Iron Man and the other superhero these days.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post

Writers talk about how much they like him but all he seems to be good at is knocked out. The low point of this was him being knocked out by his own lightning in Secret Avengers.

The Avengers these days is basically Captain America/Iron Man and the other superhero these days.

Totally agree it will make readers put down the Avengers if there favourite is Thor.

He is the biggest punching bag in the Avengers, but also has no input character growth or anything at all in Avengers.

In the changes in the line-up thread you compared him to Cybog. I actually think Martian Manhunter is a better comparission nowadays. So powerful (probably the most powerful around) that no one knows what to do with him and how to write him well. Though powerful enough to take most threats on his own, is constantly jobbed to allow other lesser members to shine. Get's so little respect that was substituted as a founding member as to promote diversity (okay, Hulk was the one who got his founding status revoked, but even so...).
    Edit: Oh, and in response to the OP's question: No, I don't think Thor should leave. They just have to start writing him as he deserves.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 12-07-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    In the changes in the line-up thread you compared him to Cybog. I actually think Martian Manhunter is a better comparission nowadays. So powerful (probably the most powerful around) that no one knows what to do with him and how to write him well. Though powerful enough to take most threats on his own, is constantly jobbed to allow other lesser members to shine. Get's so little respect that was substituted as a founding member as to promote diversity (okay, Hulk was the one who got his founding status revoked, but even so...).

Peace
    Exactly.

The MM comparison in the previous JL incarnations is actually more appropriate. MM was always used to job to promote an upcoming threat, which never made much sense as he was practically the most powerful member of the team.

I get the impression that Thor being on the Avengers is editorially mandated and the writers really don't have anything to say or do with him. That's the worst position a character can be as far as team books go.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

I think it's a bit early to claim that he should leave the avengers, since we haven't even seen what Hickman can do with him.

Honestly I just think Bendis doesn't know how to manage super powerful characters that don't have a crippling weakness (see: sentry), based on what he's done with Dr. Strange and now apparently Magneto. And he definitely has a preference for street levelers.

You should have to beat Thor in a fight to gain membership to the Avengers.

Thor should never lose.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

he should stay because it's a huge part of his profile. But yeah, when all a writer can do is have him snort and get punched out by his own teammate before he can even take action...

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    he should stay because it's a huge part of his profile. But yeah, when all a writer can do is have him snort and get punched out by his own teammate before he can even take action...
    Exactly.

He didn't even say a word. Although it seems he gets a "speaking part" in issue 2.

Eh, I'm a Thor fan, but I'd be OK with it. Basically through the past year or so, the character has been so run down and thoroughly jobbed out in the comics (99% trivial, mostly inarticulate scenery at best, thuggish mook at worst, and no real demonstrated brain function anywhere along his current continuum) that I'd as soon see him drop out of every title except his own until Mr. Aaron completes what so far seems a reasonably promising rehab job on him, and the rest of the Marvel writing stable gets on board with it. Until then--since last spring, he's really gone from being a character I'd buy books in hopes of catching glimpses of as competent or decent, to one I'll avoid buying books to keep clear of my collection.
    Mostly moved on to fanfiction.net...

Sure, why not.

He can then feature in a comic where he wins every fight and there is no narrative tension.

He's my favorite Marvel character, and while I don't like the idea of the Avengers without Thor, if he's going to be continue to be written as he has been lately, then, yeah, he should leave. Thor is supposed to be the most powerful of the Avengers. That means it shouldn't be anywhere near as easy to kick his butt as it's been shown lately.

But I want to give it a chance to see what Hickman can, and will do with him.
    Nobody's wrong ALL the time. Even a clock that doesn't move is right twice a day.

I think it's almost impossible to do that given his history with the team spanning five decades (not that any of that matters to the writers). He also had an international hit film as well as a somewhat major appearance in Marvel's biggest film ever, so there's probably no chance of him ever leaving the team. There's always a chance he could have more of a say as a character rather than just mutely participating. Even if there was an issue where Thor was fed up with being an Avenger and he quit, no one would really care given his low-key status as the resident jock. For Thor leaving the team to resonate at all, he has to be shown to play a major role in some type of event to where his departure bears some weight.

he can then feature in a comic where he wins every fight and there is no narrative tension.
    Notice in his own series his new antagonist (Gorr) pretty much kicked his ass in their first battle, but Thor looked grand even in defeat. Other gods were simply butchered as Gorr had their way with them, but Thor valiantly put up a struggle and his command over lightning finally had some meaning given that he was without Mjolnir. Aaron has restored a ton of credibility in two issues with the character than other writers never could do after years of handling him.

hell no Avengers without Thor is like Avengers without Ironman or Cap, I know they haven't been in every Avengers team but the 3 of them are what make the Avengers, without anyone of them it just doesn't feel right

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Exactly.

He didn't even say a word. Although it seems he gets a "speaking part" in issue 2.
    By way of the art, it looks like Hickman has him more as the strong, silent type. He loomed over all the others in the quinjet, and the 'Pfft' was still telling as to his power.

Dude just got stomped by the only other person on the team who stood a chance of beating him.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Sure, why not.

He can then feature in a comic where he wins every fight and there is no narrative tension.
    see, this here is why you cannot have a sensible discussion with some people on here.