Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by direction9 View Post
    i didn't know there was this contingent of thor fans that is just the absolute worse
    it's like being on the wonder woman forum
    You didn't know? Thor fans are the WW fans of the Marvel boards.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

I've personally always thought that Thor probably shouldn't be around 100% of the time.

Just keep him as a big gun in reserve. It sort of makes him a bit more "special."

Still, I don't have any real major issues with how Thor was handled in Bendis last run of Avengers. And though it's far too soon to really judge Hickman's use of the character, I do think the sense of scale the book seems to have will justify Thors continued presence on the team. But we'll see.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

i didn't know there was this contingent of thor fans that is just the absolute worse
    You mean "worst." But yeah, he's been around for 50 years so it figures.

Him being in the Avengers doesn't affect his solo book. I don't see what else anyone could want.
    Comics are more better.

What's funny is that I had absolutely ZERO interest in either of these characters before the new #1's. Since reboot Wonder Woman has been one of the stand out New 52 titles that has been consistently good (so good my reading of JiM suffered because of it). I enjoyed the hell out of the first 2 issues of Thor and look forward to reading more of him. As a newly labeled Wonder Woman fan I couldn't care less about what is going on in Justice League. I don't like that book and I stay away from it. I don't understand why other people don't take a similar approach. If you're a huge fan of Thor or Parker and hate the way they are being portrayed in Avengers, don't read it. I'm a huge fan of Batman, but I'll be the first to tell you to stay away from the Dark Knight (ongoing comic) and Detective Comics. Screw those books. If it's not for you don't read it.

so, what do you droogs do up in here?

No. Thor is awesome and a part of the Avengers ''trinity''; he shouldn't leave them at all. If only some of his fan could stop complaining in every thread of every message board...

I don't think you should remove Thor from the Avengers permanently since he brings in a sense of power, pride, and majesty to the table that's unique to the character.

The main problem comes when he's relegated to a background character or when a writer just uses him to get beat up for effect in the same way Galactus gets used. He doesn't have to be portrayed as invincible but there's a balance between extremely powerful and vulnerable enough to accept him taking his lumps and I think Kurt Busiek did this extremely well.

Geoff Johns also had a pretty good handle on him whenever he did anything with him during his run although I haven't decided how successful Bendis was with him since he's a little more hit and miss and he didn't really use him more until Siege and onwards.

If Thor is just going to be a punching bag to show off how badass some other character is then yes I would rather him be taken off the book. I do think he should be in the Avengers if he was written right.

Back in the day Thor was just an awesome, powerful character, even when he did get defeated. It is very disturbing to see him relegated to a mid-tier character in the Marvel universe. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Thor got into a tussle with Elektra or Hawkeye, that Thor would get beat down severely.

You remember when Thor was gone from Marvel for awhile and he came back in Civil War (I know it wasn't really him it was a clone) and when he showed up everybody was like "oh shit it's Thor! We are in trouble...." It was a cool feeling to experience, like hell yea the badass of the Marvel U is back to lay down the thunder! If that happened now it would be more like "Oh Thor is back, hey Wasp go sting him and get him out the way so we can handle the big fish"

It is so sad to see how far from grace Thor has fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue07 View Post
    If Thor is just going to be a punching bag to show off how badass some other character is then yes I would rather him be taken off the book. I do think he should be in the Avengers if he was written right.

Back in the day Thor was just an awesome, powerful character, even when he did get defeated. It is very disturbing to see him relegated to a mid-tier character in the Marvel universe. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Thor got into a tussle with Elektra or Hawkeye, that Thor would get beat down severely.

You remember when Thor was gone from Marvel for awhile and he came back in Civil War (I know it wasn't really him it was a clone) and when he showed up everybody was like "oh shit it's Thor! We are in trouble...." It was a cool feeling to experience, like hell yea the badass of the Marvel U is back to lay down the thunder!
    If that happened now it would be more like "Oh Thor is back, hey Wasp go sting him and get him out the way so we can handle the big fish"

It is so sad to see how far from grace Thor has fallen.
    Indeed, that was an awesome moment.

Thor should just go on a year-long rampage, finding everyone who beat him up in the last decade and laying a smack-down on them.

Quote Originally Posted by blakkrussian View Post
    Hey 'Haveathee'.

It sure did look a bit strange though that Stark and Cap had this big discussion on the future direction the Avengers should take without Thor . As a founding member he outranks even Cap who isn't, and is their closest friend on the team. He just came across as some big strange unaproachable guy looming over the others, lurking in the background looking solemn and serious. Other people on the 'Avengers 1' thread just couldn't see this. Thor came across very much like Ares used to, which is very bad.
    Eh, I don't mind this. Thor's away on Asgard half the time. Avenger's is him helping out Midgard, but Thor has other fish to fry. I can't see Thor going all "Thee had a conversation about the Avengers without me. How could thou!" (not that he talks much like that any more, but you get the drift) If Thor doesn't like something, he'll say so, and tell them about it. Otherwise, he'll help when he can, and they know, if there's some problem in Asgard he has to deal with, well he has to go take care of that.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    What's funny is that I had absolutely ZERO interest in either of these characters before the new #1's. Since reboot Wonder Woman has been one of the stand out New 52 titles that has been consistently good (so good my reading of JiM suffered because of it). I enjoyed the hell out of the first 2 issues of Thor and look forward to reading more of him. As a newly labeled Wonder Woman fan I couldn't care less about what is going on in Justice League. I don't like that book and I stay away from it. I don't understand why other people don't take a similar approach. If you're a huge fan of Thor or Parker and hate the way they are being portrayed in Avengers, don't read it. I'm a huge fan of Batman, but I'll be the first to tell you to stay away from the Dark Knight (ongoing comic) and Detective Comics. Screw those books. If it's not for you don't read it.
    I'm a new WW myself, but I've been a Thor fan for a while now. I hear this and that about the characterization in the Justice League, but I haven't read enough to really agree....because the book sucks. Avengers didn't suck, so I wouldn't stop reading it just because of one thing with one character.

Also, both of those Batman titles are starting to actually get decent, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyraw View Post
    Thor should just go on a year-long rampage, finding everyone who beat him up in the last decade and laying a smack-down on them.
    written by Kevin Smith

It's a shame that Mark Millar isn't writing something involving Thor. Civil War really showed that Mark knows what he's doing. Okay, sure... it was just a clone of Thor. But the power output? AWESOME.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 12-09-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Confused by custom titles

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    In the changes in the line-up thread you compared him to Cybog. I actually think Martian Manhunter is a better comparission nowadays. So powerful (probably the most powerful around) that no one knows what to do with him and how to write him well. Though powerful enough to take most threats on his own, is constantly jobbed to allow other lesser members to shine. Get's so little respect that was substituted as a founding member as to promote diversity (okay, Hulk was the one who got his founding status revoked, but even so...).
    Edit: Oh, and in response to the OP's question: No, I don't think Thor should leave. They just have to start writing him as he deserves.

Peace
    I agree with the comparison to MM and also agree that Thor shouldn't leave. I think we should give Hickman a chance. When Fraction was writing Thor, there were some issues of Ultimates that were better Thor stories than what Marvel was publishing on the main title. Given all that Hickman's said about Thor being one of his favorites to write on Avengers, I think we have a lot to look forward to (the 1st issue notwithstanding since the entire team that went to Mars got wiped; I think Hickman was just trying to set up a bigger Avengers team).