Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 137
  1. #1

    Default COMPLAINT: Drawbacks to Bi-Monthly Titles

    Dear Marvel Comics,

    Just a simple request: Enough with the Bi-Monthly releases and series. Please let me enumerate the reasons why this is a bad idea:

    - Reduced quality of storyline:
    • scripts/story arcs are rushed in order to get them to the artists for illustration
    • dialogue is suffering because writers are trying to meet unreasonable deadlines


    - Reduced quality of illustration:
    • noticely less detail in characters
    • substantially less background shots/less detailed backgrounds


    - Current economic conditions:
    • fewer readers will experiment with new titles
    • readers/collectors being forced to reduce their pick lists - 1 Marvel NOW! title = 2 DC titles
    • readers/collectors paying $7.98 ($3.99 cover price) per month for their pick titles versus $2.99/$3.99 per month



    In the end it looks like a bulk of my business, and that is what it is in the end - business, will go to DC and other publishers. Growing up the only DC title I ever bought more than once the Teen Titans done by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. That was largely due to the artwork. Everything else was Marvel. With DCs New 52 drawing me back into collecting after 30 years I find myself willing to experiment more with their titles because they are monthly. Stories are fresh and the artwork is rock solid. After a year since the New 52 I have kept roughly 25 of their titles on a regular pull list. So far Marvel NOW! is down to 3 titles with 2 others on the fence. I do not even argue/complain when DC does crossover story arcs between titles. Compared to the Bi-Monthly approach from Marvel, those corssovers are a bargin!

    Please...please...please...as a fan - STOP! or you will lose me (and I am sure many many more)

    Sincerely,

    Recently Returned to Comics

  2. #2

    Default

    I am not going to say that those aren't valid concerns, because they are for many people....but I like it. At least for some titles, like Thunderbolts.

  3. #3

    Default

    I have no problem with books being bi-monthly as long as they are always bi-monthly. Avengers or Amazing Spider-Man for instance.

    It's the sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, 18 issues a year model that I find annoying.

    Most people operate on a monthly budget and not knowing which titles will be shipping twice on any given month is a hassle for the consumer.

    24 or 12 = A-OK
    18 = Booooo-urns

  4. #4

    Default

    Don't they tell you which is releasing when two months in advance though? (Unless there actually is a delay.)

    Also, it does depend on the writers and how they work. Some of these storylines were probably written a long while ago, perhaps entire arcs, and we're only just seeing them now. I think art is the more likely area to suffer, but it also depends on the artists' style. Some artists probably have a quicker style than others to employ...heh.

  5. #5
    RecessionBornSuperVillain deathcry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    I am completely on board with you as far as the personal economics of more books shipping per month. This affects many people, and potentially slows sales on smaller titles.

    I have not seen the quality issues you raise, in either dialogue or art. People will complain about changing artists for sure, but for the most part I think they (Marvel) is doing a pretty good job in matching styles. Obviously doesn't work for everyone.

    The writers probably like the cash, and if they weren't writing extra books of their titles, they would probably write other titles.

    Any examples suffering dialogue, rushed scripts or lacking details?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Why is it marvel's concern if you can afford your DC books? I think the problem is people need to expect ongoings to be 18 issues a year. They need to budget 4.50 and 6.00 a month for titles instead of thinking 3.00 and 4.00 are enough for that issue.

    Also people should know what's coming in 2 months due to solicitations. That's ample time for saving and budgeting.

    Also paying cover price is for suckers.
    Last edited by tpcallo; 12-07-2012 at 09:00 AM.

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    "Bi-monthly" always used to mean 'every two months'...

  8. #8
    Senior Member DaronK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deathcry View Post
    I am completely on board with you as far as the personal economics of more books shipping per month. This affects many people, and potentially slows sales on smaller titles.

    I have not seen the quality issues you raise, in either dialogue or art. People will complain about changing artists for sure, but for the most part I think they (Marvel) is doing a pretty good job in matching styles. Obviously doesn't work for everyone.

    The writers probably like the cash, and if they weren't writing extra books of their titles, they would probably write other titles.

    Any examples suffering dialogue, rushed scripts or lacking details?
    I thought I remember Brubaker saying all the double shipping was a big part of why he decided to leave Marvel. I thought he said something along the lines of not being able to keep up because he didn't get enough notice of when they were going to double ship...or something like that.

  9. #9

    Default

    It should be Marvel's concern that I am spending my money with DC over their titles. Fortunately I am one of those few individuals with ample disposable income that I can spend (and have been) any amount I want to on this hobby. Again I am just one of a select few these days. What about the younger reader? Growing up I mowed 6-8 yards throughout the summer in order to keep myself stocked on a dozen comic titles at $.25/piece. Today those same 12 titles which cost me $36 to $75 will cost your average youngster/young adult close to $1150.00. So Marvel is saying they are not concerned about introducing new readers to comics?

    As a consumer I expect to get my moneys worth. If I am going to expect to pay $7.98/month per title than I better be getting that in terms of quality. Marvel's bi-monthly approach is impacting the artistic quality of the product they are producing. Style aside, the artwork being produced by Finch, Lee, Booth, Reis and Capullo is far superior to anything Marvel has put out with the possible exception of Ribic's Thor: God of Thunder.

    Marvel wants more money but still maintain quality? Fine produce a monthly title at $6.99/cover and add more content/pages of quality material.

    Quantity does not, Should Not, overshadow Quality.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jake Fury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,658

    Default

    I'm personally enjoying an issue of All-New X-Men every two weeks. I think the same will apply for Avengers.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Ari Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RecentlyReturned View Post
    Marvel wants more money but still maintain quality? Fine produce a monthly title at $6.99/cover and add more content/pages of quality material.
    That's fine. But they still make more money this way. By selling more often at a higher price to fewer readers.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Suffolk, England
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RecentlyReturned View Post
    It should be Marvel's concern that I am spending my money with DC over their titles. Fortunately I am one of those few individuals with ample disposable income that I can spend (and have been) any amount I want to on this hobby. Again I am just one of a select few these days. What about the younger reader? Growing up I mowed 6-8 yards throughout the summer in order to keep myself stocked on a dozen comic titles at $.25/piece. Today those same 12 titles which cost me $36 to $75 will cost your average youngster/young adult close to $1150.00. So Marvel is saying they are not concerned about introducing new readers to comics?
    Are you familiar with the concept of inflation?
    As a consumer I expect to get my moneys worth. If I am going to expect to pay $7.98/month per title than I better be getting that in terms of quality. Marvel's bi-monthly approach is impacting the artistic quality of the product they are producing. Style aside, the artwork being produced by Finch, Lee, Booth, Reis and Capullo is far superior to anything Marvel has put out with the possible exception of Ribic's Thor: God of Thunder.
    This is a purely subjective opinion. You believe it to be the case, other readers with different tastes may not. Yet you are acting as though it was indisputable fact.
    Marvel wants more money but still maintain quality? Fine produce a monthly title at $6.99/cover and add more content/pages of quality material.
    So you're not familiar with the concept of inflation...
    Quantity does not, Should Not, overshadow Quality.
    Again: who made you the final arbiter of what's "quality"? Personally, I enjoy a lot of Marvel's current output, and if I like a book, two issues in a month instead of one is good news.

  13. #13
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    I can understand the personal drain from double shipping.

    That being said, some writers have actually suggested the double shipping.

    Guys like Brubaker had problems with it but Jonathan Hickman has said that the bi-weekly schedule was his idea for Avengers.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  14. #14

    Default

    I am in touch with the concept of inflation. Increasing costs by 532% ($9 year subscription - $.75/comic times 12 to $47.88 year subscription - $3.99/comic times 12) is absurd. Now double that because the same title is printed 2x per month. Here are some stats for the US in 1978:

    Cost of Living 1978 - How Much things cost in 1978
    Yearly Inflation Rate USA - 7.62%
    Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average - 805
    Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve - 11.75%
    Average Cost of new house - $54,800.00
    Average Income per year - $17,000.00
    Average Monthly Rent - $260.00
    Cost of a gallon of Gas - 63 cents
    1LB of Bacon- $1.20
    Dozen Eggs - 48 Cents

    By that inflationary rate average income should be $90,000. I am the final arbiter of what quality is because it is my perspective and perception. You are entitled to agree or disagree. You are the final arbiter of for your own opinion of quality. In 6 months or a year from now the true test will be how many of these titles are around, how many 'creative' changes have been made and if they ease off the pedal on the mass production machine.

    On a side note, I have eaten the food in England and drank what you call wine on various occassions. I cannot say much about the quality. Now you blokes do tend some very nice gardens.

  15. #15
    Senior Member timeismoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Memphis
    Posts
    4,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RecentlyReturned View Post
    I am in touch with the concept of inflation. Increasing costs by 532% ($9 year subscription - $.75/comic times 12 to $47.88 year subscription - $3.99/comic times 12) is absurd. Now double that because the same title is printed 2x per month. Here are some stats for the US in 1978:

    Cost of Living 1978 - How Much things cost in 1978
    Yearly Inflation Rate USA - 7.62%
    Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average - 805
    Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve - 11.75%
    Average Cost of new house - $54,800.00
    Average Income per year - $17,000.00
    Average Monthly Rent - $260.00
    Cost of a gallon of Gas - 63 cents
    1LB of Bacon- $1.20
    Dozen Eggs - 48 Cents

    By that inflationary rate average income should be $90,000. I am the final arbiter of what quality is because it is my perspective and perception. You are entitled to agree or disagree. You are the final arbiter of for your own opinion of quality. In 6 months or a year from now the true test will be how many of these titles are around, how many 'creative' changes have been made and if they ease off the pedal on the mass production machine.

    On a side note, I have eaten the food in England and drank what you call wine on various occassions. I cannot say much about the quality. Now you blokes do tend some very nice gardens.
    And this is Marvel problem how?
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •