Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zub View Post
    I don't know about actual back-and-forth crossover stories between the two series, but there should be more synergy/coordination, yes.
    Kewl
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Zub, can you speak a little bit to the concept of compression/decompression? I've noticed Skullkickers gives quite a bit bang for one's buck -- each issue covers a lot of ground, with the characters overcoming a full obstacle over its course, usually only to be confronted with an escalated issue as the cliffhanger. That strikes me as a great 'formula', so to speak, but in an era which values decompression - writing for the trade - a rare one.

Will you be taking a similar approach to Birds?
    I know people lament the change from 24, to 22 and now 20 page comics, but I really do feel it's how you use those pages that matters the most. I think readers would be surprised to know that Skullkickers has had only 20 story pages per issue since our second story arc began. After the first Skullkickers arc wrapped up I read an interview with Robert Kirkman where he mentioned that Invincible had been 20 pages per issue for years and no one noticed. I was stunned and, sure enough, when I went back and checked he was right. I hadn't noticed at all and the stories still rocked. That really changed my mindset about page count and storytelling.

So... what I'm slowly trying to explain here is that I intend to have relatively dense issues for BoP. They'll usually have multiple character scenes and multiple action scenes with full page images usually only for the open/close of the issue and double page spreads extra-sparingly so that, when one happens, it's really a moment worth relishing.

And speaking tonally for a moment, will this be of a similar lightness to the work you're doing on Skullkickers, a bit more serious, or much more serious? More in keeping with what Duane has done with this volume, or the kind of tongue in cheek attitude that characterized Simone's run on the title?
    It's hard for me to tell you right now where I'll be in that range. I think contrast is important. Dark story material doesn't feel as dark when there's nothing to compare it to. Humor and softer moments can serve the story just as much as angst, violence or darkness. This won't be a "comedy" book, but my natural inclination is to have characters banter a bit and inject a sarcastic spin when appropriate. Starling is a natural for that, of course. Even still, there are nastier things coming down the road for the Birds and I'm not going to shy away from that either.

Finally, are we looking at something fundamentally grounded in street level superheroics and martial arts, or are you going to look to dip into different genres (sci fi, fantasy, etc) in any serious way?
    Hmmm... good question.

I guess this first story line I'm working on is more "street-ish", if I had to categorize it. Having Mr. Freeze in there obviously blurs that line with hi-tech weaponry. There's a certain level of super-science/tech you have to give way for because this is the DC universe, after all. Anyways, assuming my long term story goals continue as currently planned, the first two stories are generally street-level/espionage, while the third one dips into a bit more of an occult-driven approach. This stuff evolves though, so don't hold me to it. :P

Got Tickets for SDCC '15! Power Torch's Avatar

Wow Jim you rock! Thanks for answering all are questions! The more I read what you have to say the more I want issue 18 to show up (is it March yet? :P ). I am really hopeful, and I know you will do a great job! I cannot wait till the March! The wait will kill me ha ha.

And people who will miss Duane, I know it sucks, I loved Duane. He was a great writer on Birds (and you all should read the rest of his work) but give Jim a chance, it really feels like he can feel the shoes of Duane, and give us a great comic! So please don't drop Birds of Prey! Every sale counts.
    "I'm no KILLER, I merely prevent greedy individuals from despoiling the planet."
    -Poison Ivy;BoP#3
    -Pulls:Dark Horse: Ghost, X, Captain Midnight, Blackout. (Check profile for DC).

BANNED

I'm going to follow Zub's run because he's already promising what I was expecting from the title and Duane failed to deliver.

Excited as hell.

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

Zub up and take my money!
    Last edited by HeroxMatt2.0; 12-11-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Zub View Post
    I know people lament the change from 24, to 22 and now 20 page comics, but I really do feel it's how you use those pages that matters the most. I think readers would be surprised to know that Skullkickers has had only 20 story pages per issue since our second story arc began. After the first Skullkickers arc wrapped up I read an interview with Robert Kirkman where he mentioned that Invincible had been 20 pages per issue for years and no one noticed. I was stunned and, sure enough, when I went back and checked he was right. I hadn't noticed at all and the stories still rocked. That really changed my mindset about page count and storytelling.

So... what I'm slowly trying to explain here is that I intend to have relatively dense issues for BoP. They'll usually have multiple character scenes and multiple action scenes with full page images usually only for the open/close of the issue and double page spreads extra-sparingly so that, when one happens, it's really a moment worth relishing.
    Good stuff, and I agree. I think, perhaps, some writers got a bit too comfortable with the 22 pages and didn't fully utilize them as they could. Density is density, with 20 or 22 pages. Glad to hear that will be your philosophy.

It's hard for me to tell you right now where I'll be in that range. I think contrast is important. Dark story material doesn't feel as dark when there's nothing to compare it to. Humor and softer moments can serve the story just as much as angst, violence or darkness. This won't be a "comedy" book, but my natural inclination is to have characters banter a bit and inject a sarcastic spin when appropriate. Starling is a natural for that, of course. Even still, there are nastier things coming down the road for the Birds and I'm not going to shy away from that either.
    Sounds good. I was just curious if you were approaching the book with a singular tone or voice in mind, or if you were just going to 'let it happen' so to speak. Sounds like a bit more of the latter. Organic is good. :) Just based on "Skullkickers" it seems difficult to believe you won't be taking a "Simone-esque" tact on the book, which is hardly inappropriate.

Hmmm... good question.

I guess this first story line I'm working on is more "street-ish", if I had to categorize it. Having Mr. Freeze in there obviously blurs that line with hi-tech weaponry. There's a certain level of super-science/tech you have to give way for because this is the DC universe, after all. Anyways, assuming my long term story goals continue as currently planned, the first two stories are generally street-level/espionage, while the third one dips into a bit more of an occult-driven approach. This stuff evolves though, so don't hold me to it. :P
    Great! I'm sure either will be well executed, but speaking for myself I like a bit of sci fi and mysticism in my 'street level' superheroics. Adds an extra flavor, makes it something a little more fantastic, which is what the DCU is all about to me.

Thanks for the answers!
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Really looking forward to your run on the book zub. Any chance that Bride of Frankenstien will be joining the BOP?

DC has been doing a Good Job of grabbing indie comics talent.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post
    Really looking forward to your run on the book zub. Any chance that Bride of Frankenstien will be joining the BOP?

DC has been doing a Good Job of grabbing indie comics talent.

This times a trillion, please please please!!! I will bake you a cheesecake ever week if you will bring this about!! I fell in love with this character in Frankenstein and was quite sad when she left the book. I've always thought she would be awesome in BoP.
    Not all who wander are lost....

Hey Jim!

I am a huge Mr Freeze fan and was disappointed by his new 52 re envisioning. In your first story are you going to try to portray him as a character with that's human with flaws and weaknesses, or are you going to take more of how Snyder approached him?"

Personally, I prefer a more human approach to characters as I didn't feel the way Snyder portrayed him did the character justice, as I feel it made him the typical Batman villain and took the tragic side out of the character for a more traditional "mad scientist" origin. I felt the twist just did not make me feel invested in Victor anymore.

Looking forward to see your take on BOP!
    Last edited by Inkink; 12-11-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comics_birds_of_prey_oracle.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	105577
    No Oracle No Birds of Prey

Quote Originally Posted by JSA View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comics_birds_of_prey_oracle.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	105577
    No Oracle No Birds of Prey
    At present there are fifteen issues that prove you wrong.

I always like the Oracle show runner thing as well.

I say, if Barbara isn't Oracle, lets give it to someone else. It's too cool an identity and MO not to utilize. I'd rather it were Barbara as I think that was a great evolution of an otherwise generic character and MO, but if the majority of her fans dont' want it, fair enough.

But certainly there is someone.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

You know what I wouldn't mind seeing? A super speedster who lost the use of their legs, and thusly applied their speed powers - as Barry recently did - to their mind. And because that's all they have, they get really very good at it, and go about as a detective, and a hacker.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    You know what I wouldn't mind seeing? A super speedster who lost the use of their legs, and thusly applied their speed powers - as Barry recently did - to their mind. And because that's all they have, they get really very good at it, and go about as a detective, and a hacker.
    That would be awesome.

Though for a moment it made me think about that one time Bart got shot in the knee.