Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR PREVIEW: Avengers Arena #1

Trapped on an isolated island, 16 superhuman young adults (including cult faves like members of the Runaways, The Avengers Academy and Darkhawk) are given a chilling ultimatum by their demented captor: Fight or die...only one will walk out alive! Thus begins a primal battle that will test the skills, stamina and morals of each combatant. Welcome to Murder World, where the secrets are plenty, alliances are fleeting, and the key to victory might be rewriting the rules of the game. Who will survive? The rising star team of Dennis Hopeless (X-MEN: SEASON ONE) and Kev Walker (THUNDERBOLTS) dare you to tune in to your new favorite comic NOW!

Full article here.

Hmm I am just waiting until the issue drops. Supernova
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Hopefully no one gets killed off for "real" in this book. Killing off characters is lazy storytelling especially when they don't make it mean something.
    Bring back the Blue Marvel!

My Adam, the Blue Marvel youtube video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLAvJiuOXWo

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Hopefully no one gets killed off for "real" in this book. Killing off characters is lazy storytelling especially when they don't make it mean something.
    If characters don't die there are no stakes. and all tension is gone
    I'm so bored with this martyrdom routine, this halo all you X-men love to polish. Self-described soldiers adorned in an "X" with no dedication to what it actually stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen-aku View Post
    Obviously, such a thing would not be revealed until the end. Then the stakes go from the dull "WHO WILL DIE!" to the much more interesting "How far will you go?" and "Look what you did?"

Because even if everyone survives in the end, ressurected or revealed to not be dead, they should not know it until the end either. They thought it was all real. And they felt death for the first time. And they did things, horrible things, to each other.

That's GREAT stakes and EXCELLENT stuff to play with.

Stakes don't have to be death.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

Looks like there's only two new things of note: a LOT of AR content is going to be tied to this (Marvel must be backing this something fierce, as if the barrage of adds that miss the point weren't a clue). And one other thing -- IS THAT A HEALTH BAR OVER HAZMAT'S HEAD?!

That can imply several things, but it's an odd choice to make right out of the gate.

Edit to add: Narration is overwrought/flowery, the "smelling things through a hazmat suit" is still a head scratcher and the "I've always been a hater" line remains an annoying emotional ret-con crossed with an odd use of easily datable slang.

That it's a page less than the last preview (displaying that it's the end of the book) is another point worth making.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 12-06-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

I think it's one thing to raise tension and a different thing to kill a character. There are other ways to raise tension without killing characters off. If there wasn't, how many stories would even be out there?

Plus I'm not against killing off characters but in a big fight thing like this seems to be where characters might be killed off for no real reason? Yeah I'm against it utterly. Because then you're not even killing characters for suspense you're just killing to try making it look interesting.
    Bring back the Blue Marvel!

My Adam, the Blue Marvel youtube video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLAvJiuOXWo

I think it's one thing to raise tension and a different thing to kill a character. There are other ways to raise tension without killing characters off. If there wasn't, how many stories would even be out there?

Plus I'm not against killing off characters but in a big fight thing like this seems to be where characters might be killed off for no real reason? Yeah I'm against it utterly. Because then you're not even killing characters for suspense you're just killing to try making it look interesting.
    If any one can die, then you'll root for the characters more, and youll bee more worried about them, it works for the Walking Dead.
    I'm so bored with this martyrdom routine, this halo all you X-men love to polish. Self-described soldiers adorned in an "X" with no dedication to what it actually stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Obviously, such a thing would not be revealed until the end. Then the stakes go from the dull "WHO WILL DIE!" to the much more interesting "How far will you go?" and "Look what you did?"

Because even if everyone survives in the end, ressurected or revealed to not be dead, they should not know it until the end either. They thought it was all real. And they felt death for the first time. And they did things, horrible things, to each other.

That's GREAT stakes and EXCELLENT stuff to play with.

Stakes don't have to be death.
    Love this.

Also, what if there's like, an Issue 12 (or whatever) reveal that okay, half of them are dead, but they're not actually dead they've been transported somewhere else and then it switches between them having to figure out how to save the rest and deal with the things they did in the Arena and the kids still in the Arena and still doing awful stuff and basically everything is horrible but nobody dies.

Idk maybe it's denial but I refuse to believe they're actually going to for real kill a ton of characters off.

Because then you're not even killing characters for suspense you're just killing to try making it look interesting.
    So would that be psuedo-suspense or anti-suspense?

It's generally the online consensus I've seen, and the only way out of it is if Hopeless retracts the "There's going to be a lot of Murder in Murderworld" thing and gets Marvel to stop hyping the death aspect of it, it's probably going to remain reviled until it concludes with an aforementioned cop out ending.

If any one can die, then you'll root for the characters more, and youll bee more worried about them, it works for the Walking Dead.
    except for t-dog, no one worried about him.

Kev Walker killing it on art, as usual!
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Well I see some obvious differences:

1. TWD was l brand new characters
    2. Press stuff was not filled with utter glee about killing characters
    3. Hopeless is no Kirkman
    4. The Govenor is a real villain. Arcade is joke.
    5. Not an obvious knockoff

That si the obvious stufd
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Unfortunately, those characters were made to die, primarily. They began in a scenario that said "Anyone can die".

These weren't. The mood whiplash from that is one thing and the higher emotional attachment that non-"Anyone can die" characters garner is a detrement rather than an asset.

We don't actually care more about the characters because their lives are on the line, Zen-Aku. Think of movies with high body counts -- Slasher movies! Do you really get attached to those teenagers? Really? Honestly, more people get emotionally attached to the villains than the heroes.

Idk maybe it's denial but I refuse to believe they're actually going to for real kill a ton of characters off.
    I'm a Cassandra Cain fan. I went through a similar phase of denial. Let's hope this time it bears fruit.

I remain skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep_Sleeper View Post
    Kev Walker killing it on art, as usual!
    Now if only Hopeless let that art tell the story more. . .