View Poll Results: Disappointed or not

Voters
245. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Very Disappointed

14 5.71%
  • Disappointed

19 7.76%
  • Neutral

24 9.80%
  • It was ok

59 24.08%
  • It was all I wanted and more!

129 52.65%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Seemed a little more colorful didn't it? Something added to the colder grey/purple/dark tones of UXF. And it looked great. UXF did too of course but yeah, I thought this issue had terrific art. Opena is one of the best in the business right now.
    Yeah and it's shocking that it's Dean White who is still coloring Opena's stuff which is great as I feel Opena is the perfect fit for the big budget movie feel Hitch got the ball rolling on back during Authority( those first couple of pages really drive this home )

It was okay.

I like the premise, but things were too disconnected and the whole issue seemed like a loose attaching of random events to get the set-up across. The portrayal of the cast, other than Cap and Iron Man, was typical and rather childish, but that could improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Yeah and it's shocking that it's Dean White who is still coloring Opena's stuff which is great as I feel Opena is the perfect fit for the big budget movie feel Hitch got the ball rolling on back during Authority( those first couple of pages really drive this home )
    These guys obviously have a strong vision for the story they are telling. Theyre really in synch with it. It definitely worked in UXF and so far, so good with this Avengers book. Some spectacular panels. I have mentioned it already but I loved the designs for the villains and Opena's Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I suggest you just stop reading stuff.
    But that's a double-edged sword, isn't it? I try to sample the newer stuff from time to time so I can be informed when I talk about something like this. I do try to phrase my opinions as a reviewer would and not an irate fanboy (which I'm not). I suppose my strong opinions on what the genre should be (not hard sci-fi in tights, for instance) leaves me disconnected with modern sensibilities. I see a lot of high production values but not much craft or creativity in a comic like Avengers #1.

I suppose the reason modern comics don't have that classic superhero comic feel anymore is because there really are no traditional outlets, as in other genres, so all the "fan fiction" gets crammed in the modern Marvel and DC mainstream titles.
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

I liked it. I am generally interested in the villains, new additions, and the littles bits scattered throughout the issue.

I wasn't disappointed at all. Hickman takes his time and develops his stories at a steady pace. This was a fine issue, and had an epic feel to it. It didn't blow my mind, but it has me looking forward to the next issue. I expect huge things.

It "suffered" somewhat from Hickman's writing style -- he can be a bit ponderous and verbose at times, focusing more on idea as opposed to character, until he gets around to doing character pieces. But I knew all that going in. If it was anything less, it wouldn't have been Hickman.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

I thought it was a good first issue that suffered from over-hype. The book was so over-hyped that I was disappointed the 1st time that I read it because it wasn't the greatest book of all time...but the second time I read it through I really enjoyed it. I think that the 2nd issue will be much better than the first, which gets a solid "B" grade from me
    Faves: Wolverine: Weapon X, the Avengers, X-Force, etc
    My Free Weekly eZine: http://tinyurl.com/ybcnhxe
    My Clothing Line: www.culturesclothing.com
    http://twitter.com/culturesclothes

Lol @ the slanted poll. 2 ways to say dissapointed. 2 ways to say 'meh' and the only other option is 'OMG best thing eva!'. Even the title of the poll. Not, 'what did you think of it?' but straight to 'tell me what a failure you thought this issue was'. How pissed must the OP be that Option 5 has 60% of the vote?

Quote Originally Posted by pharoahe22 View Post
    I thought it was a good first issue that suffered from over-hype. The book was so over-hyped that I was disappointed the 1st time that I read it because it wasn't the greatest book of all time...but the second time I read it through I really enjoyed it. I think that the 2nd issue will be much better than the first, which gets a solid "B" grade from me
    Which was also kind of true with F4 and FF.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    How pissed must the OP be that Option 5 has 60% of the vote?
    None whatsoever i'd wager. It's what she does( I almsot said she's the best she is at that sort of thing, but that would probably earn me a thunderbolt).

As for me? I liked it a lot, but the picture is incomplete at the moment.

Iam sure it will be great once the ball gets rolling

but unlike the other Big books non of the pieces are moving so far, its just the team getting assembled

these new villains come out of no where, and seem to have no purpose other then to get there asses kicked by the new team. which would be ok but they have no build up like the collective or the like did, its just boom Were so awesome we can punk out Thor and Hulk
    I'm so bored with this martyrdom routine, this halo all you X-men love to polish. Self-described soldiers adorned in an "X" with no dedication to what it actually stands for.

In my work with children, I find it often helpful to discuss with kids the very important distinction between positive attention and negative attention. Positive attention is attention you get for being good, making your bed, playing well with others, et cetera. Whereas negative attention is attention you get from acting out, fighting with your brother or sister, being a brat.
    Kids love attention, and will go for negative attention if they feel they aren't getting enough attention in general.
    Where am I going with this?
    I think Val needs more attention and could benefit from a greater understand of the differences between these two different types of attention.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

This poll is terrible

There's no option for "I haven't read it yet"

Best Coast Avenger BartonisHawkeye88's Avatar

Somewhere between the last two options it was better than just ok. But wasnt fantastic yet. But it showed plenty of promise.
    PULL: Hawkeye, Star Wars, Daredevil, Thor: God of Thunder, Secret Avengers