Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Mike Mignola Goes Inside "Hellboy In Hell"

With the first issue of his full-time return to Hellboy on the stands, Mike Mignola opens up about the weird course he's plotting for HB's time "In Hell" here on CBR while preparing to take your questions on Twitter later today.

Full article here.

Anyone cares about Hellboy? I lost my interest 5 years ago. Still, without hellboy I wouldn't care about comic books nowadays.
    And then again, I don't care about hellboy, but I do care about DC and Marvel. Weird, I know...
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    Anyone cares about Hellboy? I lost my interest 5 years ago. Still, without hellboy I wouldn't care about comic books nowadays.
    And then again, I don't care about hellboy, but I do care about DC and Marvel. Weird, I know...
    Eh, I'm the opposite. I love Hellboy and all its spin-offs. It didn't get me into comics, but it got me into American comics. But I couldn't care less about Marvel and DC or superheroes in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Eh, I'm the opposite. I love Hellboy and all its spin-offs. It didn't get me into comics, but it got me into American comics. But I couldn't care less about Marvel and DC or superheroes in general.
    ditto. Love HB, couldn't really care less about the big two and their cadre of capes...

I would say it's a fair bet that people in the "Hellboy" forum reading a topic about "Hellboy in Hell" probably do care about Hellboy. Not that you're not entitled to your opinion, but what exactly does that contribute to this particular topic?

I'm so glad to see Mignola taking a lighter tone with Hellboy. As much as I love the doom and gloom aspects of all Mignolaverse series, I think we would be missing the point if we didn't stop to acknowledge the utter absurdity of what's happening to him right now... and seeing him joking around or at least showing a bit of that old sarcasm makes it feel like we're home again. Not in any way that invalidates everything he's been through, but in a way that affirms who he is as a person.

Totally loved the sort-of-nod to the "Screw-on Head world" with the puppet show, all of the not-so-subtle nods to the past and the future, that intriguing symbolism Mignola always brings to his art. And god, Hell is weird so far. Everything is just absolutely crazy and weird and I couldn't be happier with it. Can't wait to see where it all goes...

Thanks for posting the article! Great read!

BANNED

obvious troll is obvious.

Marvel and DC are boring, but Hellboy and BPRD are fantastic. comics where things happen, and don't get retconned when the next writer comes on board.

Yor ARE weird.

Edit: I loved the crap out of Hellboy in Hell #1.

I certainly haven't given up on Hellboy or lost interest. The character has remained relevant, fun, and interesting regardless of the artist or iteration. Of course having Mike back on artistic chores makes it all the sweeter, but I've not stepped away from collecting his adventures since his first published adventures back in '94 or so.

How good is this issue and how long is this run? Literally the only Hellboy I have is Seeds of Destruction TPB. I've been looking to read some more recent stuff but Mignola has been off Hellboy for a bit.

BANNED

Mignola wasn't drawing Hellboy, but he was writing it, and Duncan Fegredo did an amazing job on the art duties. It barely skipped a beat switching artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothamdet View Post
    How good is this issue and how long is this run? Literally the only Hellboy I have is Seeds of Destruction TPB. I've been looking to read some more recent stuff but Mignola has been off Hellboy for a bit.
    Pretty good, and the run is "ongoing", though only upto issue 4 has been solicited and I wouldn't be surprised if it quickly breaks from a monthly schedule.

And then again, I don't care about hellboy, but I do care about DC and Marvel.
    Yeah, I like a number of different comics or graphic tales, by a lot of different talented and creative persons and sure enough Mike Mignola will be one of those and Hellboy will be too.
    For me Mignola's Hellboy is a lot like Kirby doing the X-Men, or Ditko doing Spider-Man, Schultz's Peanuts or Crumb taking the piss, both as Winsor McKay doing Little Nemo, or Arthur Rackham illustrating Wagner's Ring of the Nibelungs, or either van Gogh or Albrecht Dürer or Da Vinci taking their pisses.
    By which I'm not saying that old stuff will always be better, but I'm saying that freshness or originality will only be for the better, more rather than any mere stringent conventionalness.

I like great storytelling and I like great imaginative art. Which needn't depend on publishing brands or certain titles one bit, but instead on the actual works themselves. And for me within either any superhero titles or be it the man's own titles, Mignola's work has been standing out eversince he started in the eighties, right up to now, as proving spiffy both as enticing and intricate, as proving totally original and innovative even.

So yeah I like Hellboy. Weird huh?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 12-07-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: .
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Same as me, but Hellboy did get me into comics. I had a friend who gobbled up all the DC and Marvel stuff, and he would give it to me to read and it bored me to death. I figured, well comics suck.

And then I saw the movie, and picked up seed of destruction trade, and now I buy every Mignolaverse book, because it showed me comics don't have to suck. That they can actually be intelligent and original and hardly cliche.

I know everyone has their opinion, but man, there is little more boring to me than caped superhero series.
    If for some reason the Mignolaverse ends, so ends my interest in reading comic books.
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com

Have you read Where Is Jake Ellis? or Locke & Key? Cameron Stewart's Sin Titulo will be coming out next year in a Dark Horse hardcover, definitely worth checking out too.

Have you read Where Is Jake Ellis? or Locke & Key? Cameron Stewart's Sin Titulo will be coming out next year in a Dark Horse hardcover, definitely worth checking out too.
    I haven't. Are they supernatural in any form? I mostly like something with a bit of that in it.

The only other comic I get regularly, (and its just the trades) is The Sixth Gun. But I've found none of the trades has been quite as good as the first one. IMO
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com