View Poll Results: Are you buying Amazing 699.1?

Voters
54. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, I buy all issues of Amazing, I'm buying this one.

21 38.89%
  • Yes, I'm specifically interested in this issue on its own merits

12 22.22%
  • Maybe, it will depend on forum reaction

5 9.26%
  • No, this seems like filler

12 22.22%
  • No, but I don't buy any issues of Amazing

4 7.41%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    absolutely off topic, but I adored your Glory.
    There's still more coming!

Since you were so kind, here's a never before seen panel from an upcoming issue!

http://joekeatinge.tumblr.com/post/3...22/coming-soon

Quote Originally Posted by Relevant PuertoRican Superhero View Post
    Noting that he's the only vampire in the book where would you say the title resides on a spectrum with straight up horror on one side and traditional superheroics on the other? Or is it just something else entirely?
    One of the things that really grabbed me about Alan Moore's early Swamp Thing issues was the horror often didn't come from monsters, it lied in the horror that comes out of everyday life. The things people actually fear. In fact, there's a great DC Promo video where he talks about this very thing, circa 1985: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJlZUpgXQJI

That's more of the kind of thing I'm interested in getting into now. The horrors that actually exist. Furthermore, the horrors that would go ignored in a world where the X-Men and Avengers fighting takes the spotlight. The Marvel Universe's a big, big place and bad things are likely brewing in the corners that go neglected after too long.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    What does Morbius sound like in your head when you write his dialogue? The 90s Spider-Man cartoon version has always stuck with me.
    He sounds like Morbius. And I don't mean that to be glib. I felt like I connected with him pretty quick and 'heard' him as soon as I got into ASM 699.1.

Writing is odd.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Not sure if you've answered this elsewhere. Do you plan to keep Morbius in NYC, or is there the possibility of him heading out into the larger world? (like Kaine in Houston and Venom in Philly.)
    He'll be around New York. To start.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by samson3191 View Post
    Morbius is a cool character, I really like when Slott is writing him. He's very intriguing and I'm stoked that Marvel is actually giving him his own series. It's really off-beat and risky and that's cool. I can't afford to pick up another title, but I hope it does well and I hope to get a trade at some point. Also, that's super cool of you, Mr. Keatinge, to talk to the fans on here. :)
    Slott is doing such a freakin' awesome job on Amazing. I've been reading Spider-Man since it was possible for me to hold a comic book (evidence here: http://joekeatinge.tumblr.com/post/2...nvinced-4-year) and I'll tell you, his run is one of the greatest of all-time. I'm thrilled to be a part of it.

I look forward to hearing what you think when you can check it out.

And please, just Joe. I love talking comics, so it's my pleasure.

Joe

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Morbius has always been one of my favorite fringe Marvel characters so I'm glad he's finally got a decent creative team backing him. This looks good.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe De Los Muertos View Post
    Morbius has always been one of my favorite fringe Marvel characters so I'm glad he's finally got a decent creative team backing him. This looks good.
    I have some of the issues from his 90s series. The one thing that got me was how high and low the series could go. Some of the art is lovely, but some of it's so hurried and rush that you have almost no idea what's going on. The writing was the same way, with some issues being fine, with others being a mess. But it was the 90s...

I feel like the creative team on this book this time around has a much better grip on both the character and what they want to do with him. I feel like this book should do fine, especially looking at some of the covers...

And, of course, the long awaited costume redesign. One thing I never liked about his 90s costume was that it reminded me too much of him being a "vampire". It was just too 90s goth. And as many of us agree, his classic costume has probably stuck around so long because there are few alternatives that look as natural. Keep him in jeans and a hoodie, seriously, I think it could work.

I wish they updated the whole design of the character so outdated. If I got the cash I'll read this. I just wish Lizard was the one getting a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    A mix between that, and the dad from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"...I don't care if it's racist!
    Vampire bites? Put some windex on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Keatinge View Post
    He sounds like Morbius. And I don't mean that to be glib. I felt like I connected with him pretty quick and 'heard' him as soon as I got into ASM 699.1.

Writing is odd.

Joe
    It is indeed, but your enthusiasm and confidence in the character is astounding.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalev View Post
    I wish they updated the whole design of the character so outdated. If I got the cash I'll read this. I just wish Lizard was the one getting a series.
    Wait, you're right! The Lizard was even in the freaking movie! You could do more or less the same story as Morbius, just replace it with the Lizard.

However, the fact that they're not doing this suggests that maybe Slott and company have something else planned?

As for the redesign, they're putting Morbius, a character known for either dressing only in costume, or for wearing mostly suits out of costume, in jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie. Even if it's just for a few issues, that's a pretty radical change.

Joe!

Let me add my many thanks to the long list here already. Talking with comic writers is often such a great time, so I appreciate you saying hello.

In your interviews, I feel like you've done a good job explaining the tone of the book while keeping details about specific plot lines close to your vest. I'm really intrigued to see just where Morbius will find himself at the start of the series. Specifically, I'm wondering how many of the surrounding characters in 'ole Morb's life will be brand new and how many will be plucked from wherevs in the Marvel Universe - like, ratio-wise. I don't mind much either way; I'm really excited to read about Morbius no matter what. But I will say that, as far as the writer's craft goes, I do have an affection for writers who are able to creatively reinvigorate established (often obscure) characters, stories, and whathaveyous. So yeah - that's why I'm curious.

Less important question: How long until we get a reference to Morbius' time working for ARMOR?

-Pav, who whole-heartedly applauds your decision to leave the other real (and therefore not as interesting) vampires outta the book for the foreseeable future...

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Another Aaron View Post
    I just went and checked the preview inks - with good writing, maybe with a punk look, that could work. It'll hinge on the covers and the writing - as is, Morbius probably can't hold an ongoing, so they're going to change something. The faint punk look in the pencils definitely works (though why he's having trouble with street toughs when he regularly goes head to head with Spider-Man, I have no idea) - so that puts the ball in the writer and cover artist's court then.

Maybe do the covers in a "Fables"-esque style - that would get folks' attention.
    It will have great writing. Keatinge is doing some amazing independent comics these days. The Glory relaunch has been amazing, really caught me off guard how good it was (Prophet too). They really don't have to make him punk, great writing and art is all it needs, no need to over-think things.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Keatinge View Post
    And please, just Joe. I love talking comics, so it's my pleasure.

Joe
    Probably can't answer this but, anymore Marvel stuff in your future? Oh and can't wait for the next issue of Glory, amazing stuff man.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalev View Post
    Read the book, if you get the opportunity. We definitely update Morbius' look.

As for the Lizard, I get the feeling Dan's got some big plans there.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    It is indeed, but your enthusiasm and confidence in the character is astounding.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by preppistonpav View Post
    Let me add my many thanks to the long list here already. Talking with comic writers is often such a great time, so I appreciate you saying hello.
    Like I said before, it's certainly my pleasure. I love talking comics.

In your interviews, I feel like you've done a good job explaining the tone of the book while keeping details about specific plot lines close to your vest. I'm really intrigued to see just where Morbius will find himself at the start of the series. Specifically, I'm wondering how many of the surrounding characters in 'ole Morb's life will be brand new and how many will be plucked from wherevs in the Marvel Universe - like, ratio-wise.
    Well, like you said, I'm keeping plot lines close to my vest, but I will say he ends up in a corner of Marvel New York that I don't believe has ever been seen before. This makes his supporting cast largely all-new characters, but I don't really have a specific ratio broken down. I'm sure the past will come to haunt him.

Less important question: How long until we get a reference to Morbius' time working for ARMOR?
    Amazing Spider-Man 699.1 has a Midnight Sons reference, so I'm sure an ARMOR reference is a matter of time.

-Pav, who whole-heartedly applauds your decision to leave the other real (and therefore not as interesting) vampires outta the book for the foreseeable future...
    Cool deal! I think you'll be a happy reader then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    It will have great writing. Keatinge is doing some amazing independent comics these days. The Glory relaunch has been amazing, really caught me off guard how good it was (Prophet too). They really don't have to make him punk, great writing and art is all it needs, no need to over-think things.
    Aw, you're too kind, man. I'm glad you enjoyed GLORY so much. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    Probably can't answer this but, anymore Marvel stuff in your future? Oh and can't wait for the next issue of Glory, amazing stuff man.
    All I'll say is that I'm very happy working with Marvel.

Joe

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

What's your favorite Spider-Man story of all time, Joe?
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton