Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I am and always have been a HUGE fan of the JSA. Be it the original Earth 2 version or the 'new' take on the characters and the team after the original Crisis wiped out Earth 2. Spent a lot of money on the Archives of the golden age material just to complete my JSA collection.

That said, I definately AM enjoying the new Earth 2 series. I like Robinson's take on the creation of this new team and these re-created characters.

I think folks need to take a deep breath and read the series and enjoy it for exactly what the entire NuDC is - a re-creation of classic characters, concepts and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I am and always have been a HUGE fan of the JSA. Be it the original Earth 2 version or the 'new' take on the characters and the team after the original Crisis wiped out Earth 2. Spent a lot of money on the Archives of the golden age material just to complete my JSA collection.

That said, I definately AM enjoying the new Earth 2 series. I like Robinson's take on the creation of this new team and these re-created characters.

I think folks need to take a deep breath and read the series and enjoy it for exactly what the entire NuDC is - a re-creation of classic characters, concepts and ideas.
    It's more like it's rebooting the Golden Age heroes into the modern day, rather than the legacy JSA we got in the 70s through 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    It's more like it's rebooting the Golden Age heroes into the modern day, rather than the legacy JSA we got in the 70s through 90s.
    But isn't that what happened with the Silver Age?

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Because he's borrowing elements of Donna's signature look. As I said, she may not be called Donna, but she's certainly channeling Donna.
    Looks more similar to Earth-2 Fury with darker hair.

Solicits are out here's Earth-2's in which we get a name for Dr.Fate

EARTH 2 #10
    Written by JAMES ROBINSON
    Art and cover by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT
    1:25 B&W Variant cover by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT
    On sale MARCH 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
    • As Wotan holds The Flash’s mother hostage, Khalid must finally come to terms with his destiny as Doctor Fate!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay! View Post
    But isn't that what happened with the Silver Age?
    Not in the Silver Age; that more or less continued straight on from the GOlden Age, complete with complaints about middle aged muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    It seems like some fans want to ignore the realities of the situation.

1. DC wants to make a book using Alan Scott as Green Lantern and Jay Garrick as the Flash. They own these characters and have to make use of them. That's what they hire the writer to do.

2. Once that is accomplished, however, it's the prerogative of the writer/editor etc. to do whatever they feel is the most interesting method of doing so.

So you get fan complaints like:

"Why isn't this the same as it was before?" - See item #2 above
    "If you were going to do something so different, why didn't you create new characters?" - See item #1 above.
    I don't agree with your condescending theory.

I think the Nu Earth 2 characters would be more accepted by old school fans/readers, if they weren't outright replacing the JSA/golden age heroes and their backstories and connections to the 1940's.

DC could just as easily have had both.

So was the nod to Lee Travis a hint that we'll eventually see the Crimson Avenger and Wing?

My guess (Pisces intuition) is that this Fury may have betrayed her Amazon sisters to the Apokoliptans/Steppenwolf. There's got to be some compelling reason Diana appeared as the first "Wonder." It feels Perez-y to me that she potentially left the island to fight Steppenwolf, much like Ares/Mars in previous realities.

Could be interesting if Fury has a redemptive journey as a character, and perhaps was partially influenced by the Apokoliptans.

Just a guess and thinking out loud.
    "Gargantua, stop! We're... friends!"
    - Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    So was the nod to Lee Travis a hint that we'll eventually see the Crimson Avenger and Wing?
    Hopefully. It at least sets up the possibility for it. Like Robinson has pointed out before the book is called Earth 2 not Justice Society, even though that's the aspect most people are concerned with. He's got the entire world to play with, so he can plant a seed like this now and not have to come back to it until 10 or 20 issues down the line. If you look at his classic Starman run, he dropped hints about future story lines years in advance.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    Hopefully. It at least sets up the possibility for it. Like Robinson has pointed out before the book is called Earth 2 not Justice Society, even though that's the aspect most people are concerned with. He's got the entire world to play with, so he can plant a seed like this now and not have to come back to it until 10 or 20 issues down the line. If you look at his classic Starman run, he dropped hints about future story lines years in advance.
    I'd just like to point out that this is more than just a name drop- Lee Travis and her cameraman Wing already have appeared. I hope he does something cool with it. The Crimson Avenger (though I suppose she could just be called Avenger and be crimson) has been a wasted property and could be really cool. Also, while I like Marvel, it would be funny for DC to troll them with a character called the Avenger.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

I do wonder what other breadcrumbs of other Golden Age characters we might see in Earth-2. People like Starman and others I am quite curious to see in this developing Earth.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I have to give Robinson credit...he's creating new easy origins for these characters and more. I need to repull this series if Fury and Fate are showing up again.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Ever since I first saw the cover with Steppenwolf and Fury I've been thinking Hordak and She-ra.

Quote Originally Posted by CBikle View Post
    I don't agree with your condescending theory.

I think the Nu Earth 2 characters would be more accepted by old school fans/readers, if they weren't outright replacing the JSA/golden age heroes and their backstories and connections to the 1940's.

DC could just as easily have had both.
    Because DC does not perceive any value or storytelling potential in a version with connections to the 1940s.
    Because the "JSA" concept certainly isn't popular enough to justify two sets of characters or books.
    You can disagree with DC all day long, but until you can prove that there are 30,000+ or so people who are not buying "Earth 2" but would buy a different book with 1940s ties, I'm forced to believe that DC made the right decision.

But that doesn't change the fact that DC owns the characters and need to make use of them, so complaints of "if you wanted to create a new world, why didn't you just use new characters" are ridiculous. That may or not may not be your particular complaints, but it's the one I was responding to.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.