Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Robinson Unleashes Fury, Doctor Fate on "Earth 2"

James Robinson discusses the shift in power coming to "Earth 2" as Fury is set to make her New 52 debut and hints at what readers can expect of the series' next major arc, which features the new Doctor Fate.

Full article here.

I really don't like the last panel in that final preview page. Given the size of the axe (almost as large as its target), it should have done substantially more damage than what we're seeing. A weird nitpick yes, but it pulled me out of the preview.

That said I guess we know where Mach V is going to be in the Marvel NOW era.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

I often think that there is a faction of comic fans that don't want to read new comic books. They want to take a pill that will give them amnesia so they can read the same story all over again. And in this instance, I feel like we've seen that storyline. It was beautifully done by Roy Thomas and had its tragic ending, obviously, so let's do something new, now.
    Let's see how well that goes over. I, for one, love everything in that interview.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

i think ive found a new fave character in Fury (thanks to Nicola Scott's design) aside from Power Girl.
    Pull List: Batman/Superman - Worlds' Finest - Earth 2 - Morning Glories - '68

Quote Originally Posted by jnocomski View Post
    i think ive found a new fave character in Fury (thanks to Nicola Scott's design) aside from Power Girl.
    Yeah, that is an excellent look. I'm very excited to see her in action.

I hope it's Donna Troy :L

C'mon CBR, did you really think that in this environment Fury was still going to be romantically linked to Dr. Fate? It's not Lyta Trevor, and the new Dr. Fate is probably not Hector Hall (who wasn't even the most traditional Dr. Fate). Kindof a dumb question.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

while some elements of Robinsion's earth 2 interest me, other elements don't, and it's keeping me from investing in his world building.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkditty View Post
    Let's see how well that goes over. I, for one, love everything in that interview.
    I found the interview very promising as well. Robinson wasn't sneering at those that came before, rather he sounds admiring and hopes to duplicate their success in a new way.

I really like the Rommel=Steppenwolf comparison.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    I found the interview very promising as well. Robinson wasn't sneering at those that came before, rather he sounds admiring and hopes to duplicate their success in a new way.

I really like the Rommel=Steppenwolf comparison.
    I liked that too, and it harkened back to something he said in an interview right after #1 was released. When explaining the differences between the Apokolips invasion in Justice League and Earth 2, he said that Earth 2 was more like the Northern Africa campaign. While everyone is aware that Darkseid/Hitler is the ones pulling the strings in a grand strategy sense, it's Steppenwolf/Rommel who is the front-line general, the immediate embodiment of the enemy. He's the one the Wonders of Earth 2 fight against daily and have a personal animosity towards. Darkseid is just a name, thousands of miles removed from the day to day struggle.

Lost and absent minded

This title is now the best one that DC publishes.
    Its the only one that is a superhero book, as opposed to the emo navel gazing the other titles mire in.
    its everything that was good about the old dcu without the baggage... its what a reboot is supposed to be.
    And its kinda bold to give it a post apocalyptic setting rather than have the war erased or undone. I just wish that they pulled the worlds finest book back over to earth 2 to give us another title to explor with. and severed ties with the 52u altogether.

The Livewire

I actually like Earth-2 because it's not tied to the nebulous history of Earth-1. We don't have to wrap our brains around how X changed, if there were Titans prior to the current book, how Roy and Dick know or don't know each other etc.

Ironically, it's a better Ultimate DC than the DCnU is.

Quote Originally Posted by zetomenn View Post
    And its kinda bold to give it a post apocalyptic setting rather than have the war erased or undone. I just wish that they pulled the worlds finest book back over to earth 2 to give us another title to explore with. and severed ties with the 52u altogether.
    I was hoping that the girls would be 'returning home' myself.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I, for one, am slightly insulted by James's remark. I completely understand his sentiment, I really do, but blaming the fans for wanting to see the characters they invested their time and money and not really accepting pale imitators is kind of insulting. He IS a great writer. As such, he should have been able to take to take the existing Earth 2 history and make it fresh and exciting, not create a pale, flat clone that utilizes the names and powers of favorite characters and makes them unrecognizable to long-time fans. I have a very soft-spot in my heart for the JSA and what they represented. I do not want to 'take a pill, get amnesia, and read the same story over and over', I want to read great and exciting comics using the characters I know and love, written by fantastically imaginative authors and illustrated by talented artists. He did it with The Golden Age and with Starman, but this title is just not worth my time or effort.

Sounds like the upcoming Whistling Skull JSA story is for you then.

Me, I plan on getting it AND Earth 2