Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

The Japanese trailer has a little more footage, suggesting that possibly the villain's motivation might not be as pure evil as it first appears. Difficult to tell, taking a line out of context.

Man, that was some cheesy bad guy talk.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    looks epic! and for a moment I thought the voice over was Patrick Stewart lol I was like WTF?!
    LOL! That would have been great.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    One hopes that the villain isn't as generic as the voice-over suggests.

It seems pretty obvious Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. Alice Eve's character looks just like Elizabeth Dehner. They'll probably bring in Khan for the third one since he's the only Star Trek villain you could call iconic.

To be fair, it's only a trailer and a lot of other Star Trek villains have some pretty cheesy moments as well. Even Khan.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Khan is a white dude? Not watching it.
    Well for one it looks far more like Gary Mitchell than Kahn. But just to remind you, Kahn was supposed to be an Indian character and he was originally played by a man named Ricardo Montalban. That kind of says it all.

There's at least one callback to Khan-Spock behind a glass doing the 'live long and prosper' thing. However, it's not clear whose hand it is on the other side. So there could be a twist of sorts, perhaps Kirk dies and Spock becomes Captain. It would further diverge things, but that's kind of the point of the new Star Trek films.

Another thing I noticed is that the TOSesque multi-colored uniforms are hardly seen in the trailer, with instead more military regalia. Could be another call-back to Khan, giving things a more military look.

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    It's not Kahn. Most likely it is Gary Mitchell who in TOS gained psycho-kenetic powers when the Enterprise tried to cross the boundary at the edge of the galaxy. They grew stronger and stronger until he thought of himself as a god. This almost looks to be what I always wanted, a kind of sequel to that story where Gary wasn't dead, just trapped, and he escapes and comes back to earth to get revenge on his old friend James Kirk for trapping him on that forsaken mining planet. I wonder if that will be the case. It would be kind of cool, spend about 20 - 30 minutes retelling what we already saw in the original series, then forge new ground with the rest of the story.

I wonder... will that be the case?
    eh....are you suggesting that after the first film rebooted things from before the Enterprise's mission, the next movie is going to jump to after the mission and recap something from the tv series so that it happened mostly the same way in this universe as it did in the other? I would lean more towards it being a reimagination of the story, but with significant changes based on how differently these versions of Spock, Kirk, etc. are due to their experiences.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

They'll probably bring in Khan for the third one since he's the only Star Trek villain you could call iconic.
    The Gorn, Kang, or Kor ... Trelane, Horta, Talosians ... are they not iconic anymore?

I do agree that Khan is the most iconic.
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

Bring back the Gorn!!

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    To be fair, it's only a trailer and a lot of other Star Trek villains have some pretty cheesy moments as well. Even Khan.
    Khan's ravings were distinct, though.

It's only a trailer, but what we have so far isn't something that excites me, which is the point of a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The Gorn, Kang, or Kor ... Trelane, Horta, Talosians ... are they not iconic anymore?
    I don't think these names register to the general public like Khan.

Edit: Actually, I'm not even sure we could Khan iconic at this point.
    Last edited by jesse_custer; 12-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    In a time where we can see Arnold and Chuck Norris side by side shooting people, I demand more. The voice-over was a big fucking yawn.
    You can't please everybody. Isn't Chuck Norris in that movie for three whole minutes?

Cool trailer. As short as it is, it gives you action and a clear view of who the threat is. And no, people, it's not Khan. Thank God.

It seems pretty obvious Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell. Alice Eve's character looks just like Elizabeth Dehner. They'll probably bring in Khan for the third one since he's the only Star Trek villain you could call iconic.
    I BEG TO DIFFER, GOOD SIR

Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...