Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amoral Unicorn of Justice FrenchGemini's Avatar

Default Stephen Strange vs The Punisher...

Nope, not doing "The Punisher kills the Marvel U" all over again. Just heard that Strange had pretty good H2H feats, so I wondered how well he would do against some people, and I'm beginning with Frank. So yeah, H2H fight.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    Nope, not doing "The Punisher kills the Marvel U" all over again. Just heard that Strange had pretty good H2H feats, so I wondered how well he would do against some people, and I'm beginning with Frank. So yeah, H2H fight.
    Frank would destroy him. This is a man who trained with the shadowmasters and was so good they wanted him to teach other people their arts. Frank could either street fight with you or go the martial arts way. Either way Stephen Strange is going down.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Tough one. Strange is good enough to give a feral Wolverine a run for his money.

On the other hand, Frank's damage soak is legendary. And, from the above, he's gotten an upgrade.

Tough call. I really don't know enough about current Frank's hand to hand feats to call, but he sounds like he has had a big improvement.

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Strange has some decent HtH feats - nothing totally outlandish, but good. However, Frank can probably just soak anything Steve can dish, since Strange has never really shown any CB level striking power, and Frank tanks dozens of hits from guys like Daredevil (who can crack concrete) to set up a hit. Frank's striking is strong enough to KO Stephen as well.

Strange, the few times he does bust out the martial arts, has shown some pretty interesting stuff. Slugging it out with a feral Wolverine is one (dodging/avoiding all his attacks, landing hits in return). Actually managing to live through a tussle with Morbius, of all people, is another. If we're talking outlandish, there you go: we have Strange actually rocking Morbius with a combination of blows, taking a couple of hits from him and getting hurt but not crushed (including it showing him flying through the air after one to smash a pile of crates into splinters, so it wasn't a case of 'The Writer forgot Morbius has substantial super-strength'), that kind of thing.

I'm iffy on the whole Morbius fight due to the usual speed-PIS, but the fact is that if we want to go higher than that for sheer SMvsFL stupidity, we have him briefly tussling with Mantis and not getting KO'ed (I think he flung her around a little, as well, with some snarky comments about people forgetting he knows how to fight). That one I toss right out of the window as 'simply ridiculous', given...well, it's Mantis. Regardless, the fact remains that pretty much every time Strange gets into a hand to hand fight, he does surprisingly well (surprisingly mostly because we rarely see it happen).

Upholding the ability to at least eat a couple of superstrength blows without becoming mush are the many times in his own series where he gets blasted/hit/whatever by some magical being or blast that HAS cut through his shields or, for whatever reason, caught him with his pants down (and the author forgot that yes, Strange has autoshields). Numerous times he has been hurt, and hurt badly, and continued to fight (getting torn up by Khat, getting his eye blasted out by a Chaos God, casting lengthly spells while having his soul torn from his body in indescribable agony, etc). He's not exactly weaksauce when it comes to dealing with damage.

He also one-shots normal people. Constantly.

He takes on Dormammu in a match using weapons and no magic, so there's nothing but skill involved (well, skill and strength, and Furnace Face is far stronger than a human), and beats him. Dormammu being billed as pretty skilled with the weapons involved, and Strange never, ever having picked them up before in his life.

If Frank has been jacked up to higher-level comic book martial arts level, I figure he beats Stephen after a long match.

A better match-up would probably be Frank vs. Wong.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Strange can definitely fight, he just doesn't do it as often. I think Frank has the advantage, and will fight dirtier than Strange, and has more raw cunning in this area, so I'd probably give him the edge. Strange states that he is constantly in training with Wong, they just don't show it on panel often, and like Sharp said, he fared well the times he was forced into melee. Even recently in defenders, he was using fighting- mooks for the most part- but still not always just using his magic. Defenders billed him as "Master of the mystic and martial arts".

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Strange can definitely fight, he just doesn't do it as often. I think Frank has the advantage, and will fight dirtier than Strange, and has more raw cunning in this area, so I'd probably give him the edge. Strange states that he is constantly in training with Wong, they just don't show it on panel often, and like Sharp said, he fared well the times he was forced into melee. Even recently in defenders, he was using fighting- mooks for the most part- but still not always just using his magic. Defenders billed him as "Master of the mystic and martial arts".
    Did Iron Fist show any reaction to his teammate Stephen being billed as the master of martial arts?
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

"Master of the martial arts". Not 'THE master'. :)

Iron Fist would hand Stephen his rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Did Iron Fist show any reaction to his teammate Stephen being billed as the master of martial arts?
    Absolutely nothing, since the last time Danny gave Stephen any lip he spent a week fighting crime as the Elrond Fist because Strange turned him into a Keebler elf.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    He takes on Dormammu in a match using weapons and no magic, so there's nothing but skill involved (well, skill and strength, and Furnace Face is far stronger than a human), and beats him. Dormammu being billed as pretty skilled with the weapons involved, and Strange never, ever having picked them up before in his life.
    Would that be this fight you're referring to, or a different one?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1092028-docfight5.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	105373

I always liked the fact that Strange can totally put 'Judo-flipper of dimension lords' on his card if he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    Would that be this fight you're referring to, or a different one?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1092028-docfight5.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	105373

I always liked the fact that Strange can totally put 'Judo-flipper of dimension lords' on his card if he wants to.
    Why is Strange headless in this picture?
    Rumbler's League with the Team Beasts of Burden 3rd place

My card

Quote Originally Posted by Stigma Rex View Post
    He can retract it into his body like a turtle, for defensive purposes.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigma Rex View Post
    His sleeves seem especially billowy, so they are probably obscuring his whole head, oddly. You can see the top of his hair poking out from between the sleeves.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Clearly, he is using his mastery of Judo to temporarily absorb the mass of his head into his biceps in order to better turn the very strength his foe possesses against him.

Don't you guys know anything about the science of interdimensional wizardly martial arts duels conducted at the edge of a sea of custard?
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.