Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The funny thing, is that the new cartoon about Spider-Man now on Disney XD features...Peter Parker! Kids who watch this show, and then buy 'Superior' or the Ultimate Spider-Man universe comic are going to wonder what the Hel is going on, and won't read further. Not to mention the people buying comics after watching the latest Spider-Man film. It will be the same reaction my nephew had after he started reading Batman comics a few years ago, and lost interest after he couldn't figure out who Dick Grayson was. The Execs at Disney will have a meltdown if Peter Parker isn't around at the time of the next Spider-Man movie, much like the folks at WB after Knightfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursaiz View Post
    The funny thing, is that the new cartoon about Spider-Man now on Disney XD features...Peter Parker! Kids who watch this show, and then buy 'Superior' or the Ultimate Spider-Man universe comic are going to wonder what the Hel is going on, and won't read further. Not to mention the people buying comics after watching the latest Spider-Man film. It will be the same reaction my nephew had after he started reading Batman comics a few years ago, and lost interest after he couldn't figure out who Dick Grayson was. The Execs at Disney will have a meltdown if Peter Parker isn't around at the time of the next Spider-Man movie, much like the folks at WB after Knightfall.
    Which brings us back to my original post at the start of this thread, and my belief that the "new" Superior Spiderman will still be Peter Parker...albeit one who has been freed from a limitation(s) previously unknown to us.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    In 100% agreement with this statement. If all people do is bitch about comics. Stop buying them if they aren't fun for you anymore. Not only will you save money, but you will have one thing left to bitch about. Comics are a hobby. Something you are supposed to enjoy. If it is no longer entertaining. Why bother?
    Marvel as a whole is smart enough to know that 7 out of 10 blowhards that pretend to have thrown up their hands and "are done with Marvel" are still buying the books. Just look to AvX sales. NOBODY was going to buy it..meanwhile Marvel was printing comic book gold. Its cool to talk about how progressive you are and how you have moved on to REAL literature..like Godzilla and The Goon...yet go figure..they know EVERYTHING happening at Marvel and DC.

THAT is what is behind the cracks about "ruining childhoods"..they like those few fools to blow up about it..itcreates a buzz and they know the most verbal bitchers are the ones thatll be first in line..hoping that nobody sees them buy that which they despise.

The thing that would REALLY ruin my childhood would be the realization that Peter Parker/Spidey never even existed. Seriously! :)

Quote Originally Posted by fedup23 View Post
    Marvel as a whole is smart enough to know that 7 out of 10 blowhards that pretend to have thrown up their hands and "are done with Marvel" are still buying the books. Just look to AvX sales. NOBODY was going to buy it..meanwhile Marvel was printing comic book gold. Its cool to talk about how progressive you are and how you have moved on to REAL literature..like Godzilla and The Goon...yet go figure..they know EVERYTHING happening at Marvel and DC.

THAT is what is behind the cracks about "ruining childhoods"..they like those few fools to blow up about it..itcreates a buzz and they know the most verbal bitchers are the ones thatll be first in line..hoping that nobody sees them buy that which they despise.
    Yes, that's right. And that's what we fans, me included, do wrong! And Marvel knows it, and that's why they mock fans like they do. They know we swallow it and buy their stuff anyways. Make changes that they say beforehand that fans will "hate", and sell your comic for 4 bucks two or three times a month. Do events every few months. They know they'll get our money anyways.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by fedup23 View Post

Yes, but there are the 3 of us who don't buy, at least not at full price. I don't have to do much more than read the reviews, or the discussion threads and glance at the comics in the store to know what is going on in the issues. If there is something in all of that or that looks halfway decent I wait and pay half price for it or less later on.
    Even so I think deliberately needling those who actually liked what was written before -in effect treating what was written before as sub-standard and those who liked it as not too bright- is a very mean thing to do. They can do it yea, they are like the pointy haired boss in Dilbert when the economy is bad, they've got all the power and no reason to hold back. So they don't.

I'm just wondering whats gonna happen to Peter.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Still not convinced that this is going to be permanent, since everything we've seen about this book has been the character being handed Peter's supporting cast, and the only new original villain we've seen so far is the female Beetle. Yes, it's a bit early to judge, because I'm sure Slott has mentioned that he'll be developing new villains for this book.
    The female Beetle debuted in Captain America (the story where Baron Zemo came back to ruin Bucky Cap's life.) Slott didn't create her.

The curious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    To enjoy the story???
    But the spoiler tells me that I won't enjoy it. It's one of the reasons I can't really enjoy Star Wars Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. The battles that the jedi and the clones are going through are pointless. The jedi will be murdered and the clones will be the ones who murder them. I enjoy the exploration of the fantasy based galaxy and I like the various races but in the end I know what'll happen to all of them. Looking at that spoiler I can see that someone in a Spiderman suit with Spiderman powers is battling some Spiderman foes and decides to just go away. I maybe mildly curious as to how the character reached that point but... well not really. This is Spiderman, I know if it gets too hard he'll just call up Mephisto and make another deal. Where once I would have admired the characters determination to hang in there and sympathized with his life now I just find it... meaningless. I still admire the character that was but the character who is now is to me more a product of the marvel marketing department or the writer's intent to write his Great Spiderman Epic that will put all other Spiderman stories to shame and forever show all those who came before him how a really great Spiderman story is written.
    If I'm curious enough I'll fish it out of the discount bin later.

The only thing I am confident about is that whatever happens will not be a wholesale, irrevocable change to the Marvel Universe. That and Doc Ock is actually Peter Parker's dad. I like that theory!
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

I think my childhood will be intact no matter what happens. If it does turn out to be ock in peter's body. I probably wont read it, but I will most likely keep tabs on it. Which is what probably most people do when they say they are "done forever" with a book or a company. I think both marvel and dc are well aware how often we fans give in to hyperbole, and they are also aware of our lack of follow through.

Yes, but an alternative is of course to stop buying the titles but find out what happens in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    Yes, but an alternative is of course to stop buying the titles but find out what happens in other ways.
    So your a spoiler whore?

Oh yes I am. Sadly. But it might have it's advantages too, makes it easier to find out what's worth reading. And the stuff I DO read regularly I don't spoil myself with.

The curious one.

Also it can save you a ton of money.