Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71
  1. #31
    Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A lawn.
    Posts
    3,491

    Default

    The fact that all those characters return to their roots, Peter Parker, Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, is indicative of the fact that the people are more important than their titles. Replacing the protagonist is almost always shortly lived, and a device for generating sales, along with reintroducing said protagonist. If Peter Parker leaves, most likely he'll be back soon with another "must-read, new #1, great jumping on point" issue/arc.
    Bad news everyone...

  2. #32

    Default

    Meant to click "reply with post" instead of just "reply" Here's the quote that I was attempting to respond to; Sorry for the confusion.

    It's funny because:

    Raped or Ruined Childhood is a slang term used to describe a nostalgic subject that has been marred by a new discovery or an implication of suggestive nature, either in the image or video itself as well as comments. To a lesser extent, the term can be also used to describe a fan’s disappointing reception of a highly anticipated sequel to a classic work. This concept can be applied to almost anything with nostalgic value including toys, cartoons, movies, and games. However, it should NOT be confused with Rule 34 which is the act of simply making something pornographic.

    Although I find it more likely we're going to find out something unpleasant about something that was seemingly harmless beforehand.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Lars C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    I would think that Marvel needs every reader they can get. Young and old. Hopefully the new readers are the focus, but to consciously drive them away would be a stupid move, wouldn't it? But with that said, when an older reader reaches a point where the comic isn't fun or engaging enough, then it's time to stop. IMHO.

  4. #34
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    I would think that Marvel needs every reader they can get. Young and old. Hopefully the new readers are the focus, but to consciously drive them away would be a stupid move, wouldn't it? But with that said, when an older reader reaches a point where the comic isn't fun or engaging enough, then it's time to stop. IMHO.
    I think that they regard older fans the same way sports teams regard season ticket holders. They can field a bad team, up the prices but the season ticket holders will keep coming back anyway.

  5. #35
    Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    9,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    I would think that Marvel needs every reader they can get. Young and old. Hopefully the new readers are the focus, but to consciously drive them away would be a stupid move, wouldn't it? But with that said, when an older reader reaches a point where the comic isn't fun or engaging enough, then it's time to stop. IMHO.
    In 100% agreement with this statement. If all people do is bitch about comics. Stop buying them if they aren't fun for you anymore. Not only will you save money, but you will have one thing left to bitch about. Comics are a hobby. Something you are supposed to enjoy. If it is no longer entertaining. Why bother?
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

  6. #36
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,548

    Default

    I want your childhood...give me your childhood!
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  7. #37
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    In 100% agreement with this statement. If all people do is bitch about comics. Stop buying them if they aren't fun for you anymore. Not only will you save money, but you will have one thing left to bitch about. Comics are a hobby. Something you are supposed to enjoy. If it is no longer entertaining. Why bother?
    The boundary line between complaining, criticizing and what some call 'bitching' is a very thin one. And with comments like 'ruining childhood' I suspect that the writer actually wants some angry comments generated so that more publicity can be created for the title. Angering and dividing fans works for marvel, from cw to AvX that has been proven. The more anger, the more buzz, the higher the sales. They know what buttons to push and they push them.

  8. #38
    Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    9,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    The boundary line between complaining, criticizing and what some call 'bitching' is a very thin one. And with comments like 'ruining childhood' I suspect that the writer actually wants some angry comments generated so that more publicity can be created for the title. Angering and dividing fans works for marvel, from cw to AvX that has been proven. The more anger, the more buzz, the higher the sales. They know what buttons to push and they push them.
    As I said though. If you don't enjoy comics anymore, why pick them up. Again they are a hobby. Something to be enjoyed. If you keep spending your money on something you constantly complain or bitch about(to me if you keep harping about the same thing over and over and over again that's bitching.) about. Then you deserve what you get. It's that simple. Paying money you don't have to for something you don't enjoy is just down right idiotic to me.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

  9. #39
    Senior Member ceroxide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth NOW
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    no offense but... so what?
    there is a new generation that's getting into comics now, that is experiencing their first comic much like we did long ago, so who gives a damn about us anymore? All we do is complain that things aren't the same just like your grandparents would argue things in their time were better, so in reality nobody is ruining your childhood; you're just old and complaining that new things are not like the old things you're used to

    the new generation would probably think the Superior Spider-Man is much cooler and whoever is under the mask will probably become what Peter is for us, and while they praise and love the new Spidey we'll keep complaining that in our time it used to be better and telling them to get off our lawn!

  10. #40
    Senior Member Lars C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    In 100% agreement with this statement. If all people do is bitch about comics. Stop buying them if they aren't fun for you anymore. Not only will you save money, but you will have one thing left to bitch about. Comics are a hobby. Something you are supposed to enjoy. If it is no longer entertaining. Why bother?
    The hard part is to walk away. When, say, Spider-Man that has been so important to someone for so long just stops being fun? It's not an easy task to let go sometimes. I'm wondering whether my time as a Spidey fan is up, for instance. But do I stop? No, because I'm weak like that.

  11. #41
    New Member Genixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    83

    Default

    well, i guess this would be a good opportunity to bring the real peter parker back after the whole clone saga. we could find out that he has been in stasis for the past few years and comes out a bit cranky and better then the clone thats been running around. :)

  12. #42
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    The hard part is to walk away. When, say, Spider-Man that has been so important to someone for so long just stops being fun? It's not an easy task to let go sometimes. I'm wondering whether my time as a Spidey fan is up, for instance. But do I stop? No, because I'm weak like that.
    It takes time to move on. I stayed with marvel comics for two years before I took TonyStark1012's advice and just stopped buying them. At least at full price. It's far easier to take stories you don't like or don't like that much when you fish them out of the discount bins or wait for the trades. Remember this years Big Event is next years half price off. But everyone has to decided when to leave and why on their own. Best thing to do is not to pay attention to the authors and the editors, that was a mistake I made during my last years at marvel. The more you listen to them the more condescending and arrogant they sound. This remark was a good indication of what you can expect. Read the titles only and if you see sloppy editing and bad characterization and plotting just don't pick up the next one or start reading them quickly in the store until you can just skip past them. Of course it is hard, paying attention to comics and ignoring marvel is like paying attention to astronomy and not looking at the moon.
    And try not to argue too much on the net because take it from someone who has learned the hard way the arguments can eat into your life if you are not careful. Trust me you can call the color blue the color blue on the internet and odds are someone will tell you that you are wrong.

  13. #43
    The curious one.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    14,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    no offense but... so what?
    there is a new generation that's getting into comics now, that is experiencing their first comic much like we did long ago, so who gives a damn about us anymore? All we do is complain that things aren't the same just like your grandparents would argue things in their time were better, so in reality nobody is ruining your childhood; you're just old and complaining that new things are not like the old things you're used to

    the new generation would probably think the Superior Spider-Man is much cooler and whoever is under the mask will probably become what Peter is for us, and while they praise and love the new Spidey we'll keep complaining that in our time it used to be better and telling them to get off our lawn!
    I don't really mind things not being the way they used to. Good old days weren't always good and tomorrow isn't bad as it seems. But if a character stands on principle for decades and then suddenly decides to switch course because the author decides he's too boring or not edgy enough then I think you can have a legitimate complaint against that author.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Lars C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    It takes time to move on. I stayed with marvel comics for two years before I took TonyStark1012's advice and just stopped buying them. At least at full price. It's far easier to take stories you don't like or don't like that much when you fish them out of the discount bins or wait for the trades. Remember this years Big Event is next years half price off. But everyone has to decided when to leave and why on their own. Best thing to do is not to pay attention to the authors and the editors, that was a mistake I made during my last years at marvel. The more you listen to them the more condescending and arrogant they sound. This remark was a good indication of what you can expect. Read the titles only and if you see sloppy editing and bad characterization and plotting just don't pick up the next one or start reading them quickly in the store until you can just skip past them. Of course it is hard, paying attention to comics and ignoring marvel is like paying attention to astronomy and not looking at the moon.
    And try not to argue too much on the net because take it from someone who has learned the hard way the arguments can eat into your life if you are not careful. Trust me you can call the color blue the color blue on the internet and odds are someone will tell you that you are wrong.
    That's good advice! I thought Marvel Now would be a place to leave Marvel, since I had started to read and like lots of DC stuff. New 52 was a good welcoming point to me. But then I've enjoyed the Now stuff I've tried and lost interest to some of DC:s comics. And I do agree we see some arrogant Marvel creators here, and maybe it's just because they know it's hard to let go. Arguing on the internet? Sure, you have a point there too, I often feel like people react to pieces of a post that can be seen negative, forgetting the good stuff one says.

  15. #45

    Default

    "Bitching" about the direction in which an author takes a comic book in, and being angry about that direction are two different things to me. I've always used professional wresting as an example of "enjoyment through hatred". The best heels (bad guys in wrestling) are the ones who bring out a passion in you. Sure, it's usually a negative passion, but you feel strongly towards/about them, and you don't give up watching wresting because of your anger. So, if I'm angered by what is to come in Superior Spiderman but I think whats done is done well, I might come here and enjoy expressing my anger towards the storyline, but I'll go right on reading and ENJOYING the passion the stories bring up within me. Alternately, if I like the change that come in the new series but I don't like how it's written, then I'm not going to bitch about it here, I'll just drop the title.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •