Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    BTW, I'm still baffled that anyone would ever look at Spider-Man's rich history, and then think, "You know what would make for a great movie? Spider-Man's parents! Because that always goes so well..."
    Meh, it's not like writers are any more astute. If they were, we'd never get another mystery in the Spidey books ever again. How many of those have been wrapped up in a timely and satisfying manner? Two or three out of a fifty-year run?

(And in fairness, the idea of looking into Pete's parents isn't inherently bad. It's more of an execution thing.)

And then things picked up yet again with the intro of Ben Reilly. That rooftop confrontation is still one of the best moments in Spider-Man's history!

Speaking of the clone saga was any of that retconned when the 2009-2010 "Spider-Man: The Real Clone Saga" was published?

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    Meh, it's not like writers are any more astute. If they were, we'd never get another mystery in the Spidey books ever again. How many of those have been wrapped up in a timely and satisfying manner? Two or three out of a fifty-year run?

(And in fairness, the idea of looking into Pete's parents isn't inherently bad. It's more of an execution thing.)
    The problem with Peter's parents is they tend to be a distraction from the real powers in his life, Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

As far as the movie goes, that's a different ballgame than the comics. In the movies, you're looking for something to fit into a compressed timeframe, which means you want to pull from the best and the brightest.

In serial comics, you've got people trying to make something new out of a character who's been around for decades, so it's inevitable that they're going to mine some shaky ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Friend View Post

Speaking of the clone saga was any of that retconned when the 2009-2010 "Spider-Man: The Real Clone Saga" was published?
    No, but it was probably tweaked by the events of OMD, since Peter and MJ weren't married at the time now.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Given the context and Michelinie's behind the scenes account, it's more likely that it was written as Harry flipping out because Peter had his parents back and he didn't.

But then, like I said, Michelinie was throwing out clues every direction because even he didn't know. One week, we had reason to suspect Peter's parents. The next week, everything was kosher!
    True enough. That story could easily have been a coincidence.

By the way, where did you find Michelinie's account of it? And did he discuss any of his other stories? I would love to read it!
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    True enough. That story could easily have been a coincidence.

By the way, where did you find Michelinie's account of it? And did he discuss any of his other stories? I would love to read it!
    It was in DeFalco's book The Spider-Man Creators.

The best Spider-Man interviews I've ever read collected in one volume!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Totally agreed; I remember reading these issues as they came out and not knowing where they were going with the parents. I even seem to recall (though I can't swear) Peter having them "checked out" and they appeared to be the real deal which, if I am remembering correctly, would make the reveal of them being LMD's even more ludicrous. To me, this was a huge missed opportunity for Marvel and was the beginning of the slide for this title in the mid-1990's.
    The series slid as soon as Todd Mcfarlane stopped drawing it, and didn't become good again until after OMD

Anything involving Pete's parents is generally bad. Making them spies was one of Stan's worst ideas. The robot story was 1000X worse than that. Leave 'em in the ground, please.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Anything involving Pete's parents is generally bad. Making them spies was one of Stan's worst ideas. The robot story was 1000X worse than that. Leave 'em in the ground, please.
    Not just spies but triple agents lol
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Lovin that Psylocke Spiderman 1's Avatar

Totally agreed; I remember reading these issues as they came out and not knowing where they were going with the parents. I even seem to recall (though I can't swear) Peter having them "checked out" and they appeared to be the real deal which, if I am remembering correctly, would make the reveal of them being LMD's even more ludicrous. To me, this was a huge missed opportunity for Marvel and was the beginning of the slide for this title in the mid-1990's.
    I think it was May the one who sente a PI after them, once he "proved" them real he told Pete about the whole thing.

It was in DeFalco's book The Spider-Man Creators.

The best Spider-Man interviews I've ever read collected in one volume!
    Thank you, kind sir. It is orderdd and on its way.

Like things are any better these days. *COUGH*OneMoreDay*COUGH*
    Show me a bitter nazi and I'll show you a sour kraut.

Check out my gallery at :http://r-gonz.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Like things are any better these days. *COUGH*OneMoreDay*COUGH*
    26 posts, ladies and gents! A new record!!!!