Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I haven't found anything in this run to be "incomprehensible" or "confusing". I don't get that at all. It's science fiction. Read what's on the page. Look at the pictures. Take in the glory. It's a perfect comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
    ...how Superman literally makes the impossible possible.
    How was this shown in the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Twiggy View Post
    This book was by far the worst Action Comics book since the reboot. Yes reboot not launch.
    I was so frustrated reading the book it made my veins pop out.
    0/10 for shitty troll attempt.

Great issue; I'm hoping we will see more of Super Turtle- classic Vartox, too. Loved how Mxy was the king's jester- harkens back to the Golden Age.
    "I know thee well: a serviceable villain; As duteous to the vices of thy mistress as badness would desire. "

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    How was this shown in the issue?
    actually that was in the previous issue, I just read the two of them back to back. I'm referencing when he explains to the astronauts about the Multitude and how to stop them, the scientist basically says it's impossible but Superman makes it happen. Similarly the scene where the little boy is the only one with hope and asks Superman "what do you always say?" and Supes says "there's always a way". Those elements just speak to the potential of the character to me. I love what he stands for an how Morrison forces him into impossible situations that aren't purely dependent on his physical powers. He's finally merged the Golden Age with the Silver Age Superman and it's fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
    actually that was in the previous issue, I just read the two of them back to back. I'm referencing when he explains to the astronauts about the Multitude and how to stop them, the scientist basically says it's impossible but Superman makes it happen. Similarly the scene where the little boy is the only one with hope and asks Superman "what do you always say?" and Supes says "there's always a way". Those elements just speak to the potential of the character to me. I love what he stands for an how Morrison forces him into impossible situations that aren't purely dependent on his physical powers. He's finally merged the Golden Age with the Silver Age Superman and it's fantastic!
    Yes, well, I was specifically interested in how this issue highlighted this wonderful aspect of Superman's character. I do love, though, when Superman is challenged beyond the physical. It's one of the things that makes Mxy stories so compelling and special.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    I thought this issue was pretty much an epiphany, myself. It explains and reveals many of the twists and turns of Morrisons ENTIRE run!

Seriously, this issue explains it all. And it's a hoot, because it adds even more to the mythos, with the fleshing out of Mxy's character, and his motivations for his silly pranks. The truth is that's precisely what they are! He doesn't care all that much about it, because he's only doing it as a little magic-trick!

Morrison is a tremendously intelligent writer, that much is certain. He demands a lot from his readers, but if you can keep up, you will be rewarded accordingly.
    Exactly.

Morrison is literally explaining events from his entire run with this issue.

It was brilliant, mind bending and touching.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

This was definitely one of my most favorite issue of Morrison's run so far (which has been more uneven than his other works). This was fantastic though and the back-up definitely complimented the story well.

I don't begrudge anyone enjoyment of anything, but I have not enjoyed Morrison's run much at all, save for about 5 or 6 issues. I have found it difficult to follow yet I've stuck with it in hopes that I will eventually learn to love it and Morrison's style- because I really do want to love it. It just doesn't resonate with me. What else can I tell you? I'm looking forward to the next creative team's work, and maybe I'll re-read Morrison's run later down the road and have a different opinion of it then, but overall I can't say that I've enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleR View Post
    I don't begrudge anyone enjoyment of anything, but I have not enjoyed Morrison's run much at all, save for about 5 or 6 issues. I have found it difficult to follow yet I've stuck with it in hopes that I will eventually learn to love it and Morrison's style- because I really do want to love it. It just doesn't resonate with me. What else can I tell you? I'm looking forward to the next creative team's work, and maybe I'll re-read Morrison's run later down the road and have a different opinion of it then, but overall I can't say that I've enjoyed it.
    Cut my enjoyment level down to two or three issues and I am with you on this. I am glad Morrisons leaving. He chooses odd things to emphasize in my view and leaves out some pretty important storytelling points. Not my thing.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I haven't found anything in this run to be "incomprehensible" or "confusing". I don't get that at all. It's science fiction. Read what's on the page. Look at the pictures. Take in the glory. It's a perfect comic book.
    You can tell me exactly who all of those villains are chasing him without referencing outside material?

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with telling a story out of sequence provided that there is some sort of element in the story that pulls it together...we are two issues away from the author's exit and I can't really see how he's going to accomplish that....he might, I'll give him that, but for now, as foundations for a characters reboot go, this one isn't really very good in my opinion. It feels more like another opportunity for the author to call attention to himself and how important he is to the comics medium.
    If the shoe fits: "a crankly old man standing just on the edge of a crowd gathered for a concert and stamping his feet yelling at the crowd to stop having fun, that they don't know what fun is."

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blog...-things_7.html

I loved this issue. At some point in the future I want to re-evaluate in the context of the run as a whole, but for now, those are a few of my favorite bits.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Inf‚me et fier de l'Ítre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolfan View Post
    You can tell me exactly who all of those villains are chasing him without referencing outside material?

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with telling a story out of sequence provided that there is some sort of element in the story that pulls it together...we are two issues away from the author's exit and I can't really see how he's going to accomplish that....he might, I'll give him that, but for now, as foundations for a characters reboot go, this one isn't really very good in my opinion. It feels more like another opportunity for the author to call attention to himself and how important he is to the comics medium.
    The Anti Superman Army?
    Nimrod (appeared in issue 6, had his origin story in issue 10), the Kryptonite Men (appeared in issue 5, the green one had his origin story in the anual), Drekken the Evolver (appeared in issue 6, origin story in the back up of 0), Suzie (appeared in issue 6, old GA character, was important in issue 11 and 12), and I think they are the only ones we see here (I don't remember seeing the Sisters of hate). All of them invented for this run (except for Suzie), so no need of outside material.
    So......What did I win?
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Default Yeah....but wait a second......

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    The Anti Superman Army?
    Nimrod (appeared in issue 6, had his origin story in issue 10), the Kryptonite Men (appeared in issue 5, the green one had his origin story in the anual), Drekken the Evolver (appeared in issue 6, origin story in the back up of 0), Suzie (appeared in issue 6, old GA character, was important in issue 11 and 12), and I think they are the only ones we see here (I don't remember seeing the Sisters of hate). All of them invented for this run (except for Suzie), so no need of outside material.
    So......What did I win?
    Nada.
    You had to refer to outside material (old GA character).
    How was what we saw about Suzie in issues 6 and 11,12 helpful at all? I completely missed that.
    Drekken had an origin story? In 0? Let me look again....
    Kryptonite Man was in the annual....granted.
    Nimrod, the coolest of the bunch in my opinion had an interesting introduction....but not enough exposition for a full on origin in my view.

Where are they called the Anti-Superman army in the book?

But I have to admit, you did a good job of ignoring my swipes at your author. Thanks for letting me vent.

They're referred by name as the Anti-Superman Army either at the end of #5 or in #6. Can't recall right off the bat which one, but they're definitely named.