Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Shadowman, #2

Justin Jordan and Patrick Zircher mix elements of both the Valiant and Acclaim versions of "Shadowman," and then add in their own new ideas to create a cohesive and fun horror-meets-superhero comic.

Full review here.

Wait....wait....wait just one moment. The CBR reviewer just gave a VALIANT book a 4 out of 5 star review.

The Mayan thing may just be true afterall!!!!

Can't wait to read mine tonight!!!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Wait....wait....wait just one moment. The CBR reviewer just gave a VALIANT book a 4 out of 5 star review.

The Mayan thing may just be true afterall!!!!

Can't wait to read mine tonight!!!
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

This is picking up ever-so-slightly for me. It kind of reminds me of The Darkness (at least how I remember that book reading, like, 12 years ago). I wish there was something...I don't know, something more about it. My least favorite Valiant title right now comparing all #2 issues, but that is nothing at all to sniff about, and I'm looking forward to where this is heading.

The art is so GORGEOUS though. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    This is picking up ever-so-slightly for me. It kind of reminds me of The Darkness (at least how I remember that book reading, like, 12 years ago). I wish there was something...I don't know, something more about it. My least favorite Valiant title right now comparing all #2 issues, but that is nothing at all to sniff about, and I'm looking forward to where this is heading.

I see your point. We are waiting for what makes this book different from other similar super-horror books like The Darkness or Spawn. I think it's coming, but at this point it's not there yet. The story is still good and the art is gorgeous.

This issue stands out for me as a 2nd issue because it does such a great job at fleshing out the supporting cast. We get a much bigger look at Darque, who is shaping up to be a truly fear-inducing villain, as well as the Abettors, Twist and even a glimpse at the Bretheren. At this point it feels like we are well set up for the rest of this arc and those to come.
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Just awesome! this book just knocked out Bloodshot from the top of my VALIANT pile, great art, great characters, really lovin this book. Not since Rapture from Savage Dragon have I seen a strong black woman in comics like Alyssa. Can't wait on the next issue.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Loved this issue. I know the hero hasn't got a lot of play, and the villain is pulling a Rotworld thing, but it's good stuff. I love the world they are building.

I posted a review with pic's in my signature if anyone is interested.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Pretty Good Read. Improved on the First by quiet a bit.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

God I really hope Justin and Zircher stay on this book for as long as it runs, this is really good stuff.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    Just awesome! this book just knocked out Bloodshot from the top of my VALIANT pile, great art, great characters, really lovin this book. Not since Rapture from Savage Dragon have I seen a strong black woman in comics like Alyssa. Can't wait on the next issue.
    Michonne, Walking Dead?
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Overall, I thought the issue was okay. Mr. Twist definitely steals the show. Seeing him getting his suit tailor made reminded me of those fun Whedon moments.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

I liked this issue, but it's treading water in quality at a lower level than I feel like it should be at, like A&A did. Hopefully it jumps up in quality after the first few issues like that did. I also find the nature/use of magic to be a little bit I imaginative, but I HAVE been reading The Invisibles lately, so that might be putting me in a frame of mind that expects too much.

All that said, this issue was still very good. I quite like Twist, especially how he went to the tailor for a suit. It was all quite entertaining, it just needs that little bit of a spark, you know?
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Dis is a really gr8 title & dis issue was a quite betta dan #1 overall....if we/SZ did hv any issue will b d spellcasting.

We/SZ much prefer spellcsting written(in terms of it being spoken in comix) with a mix of ancient inconcievable symbols with sum non-English words as opposed 2 strait-up rythmic english words as was d cast with Mr.Twist.

Other dan dat is was a really really gd issue & cant wait 4 #3....gat dammit y isnt dis title bi-weekly.LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post

Shadowman is not doing it for me. There's nothing in this book so far that I can't get from any number of better supernatural-horror/adventure books already being published by Dark Horse or IDW. For example, Colder #2 from Dark Horse, which also came out this week, was the same price but had way better art, expressive, painted colours, and a much more intriguing story. I was hoping that Justin Jordan would be bringing the same level of over-the-top action and energy to this book as in his Luther Strode series, but he's not. I would describe Patrick Zircher's art as pretty good, but not exceptional. There's still nothing in this second issue which is as good as the first 5 pages of #1, which leads me to believe that he's an artist who needs more lead time to really develop out the beautiful pages, otherwise he's capable of good, but merely serviceable art. I don't think people would be praising his art this much if it were in a Marvel book.
    X-O Manowar. Harbinger. Bloodshot. Archer & Armstrong. Swamp Thing. Dial H. Captain Marvel. Hit-Girl. Saga. Prophet. Read my reviews of these and more at The Comic Book Couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel Supreme View Post
    Shadowman is not doing it for me. There's nothing in this book so far that I can't get from any number of better supernatural-horror/adventure books already being published by Dark Horse or IDW. For example, Colder #2 from Dark Horse, which also came out this week, was the same price but had way better art, expressive, painted colours, and a much more intriguing story. I was hoping that Justin Jordan would be bringing the same level of over-the-top action and energy to this book as in his Luther Strode series, but he's not. I would describe Patrick Zircher's art as pretty good, but not exceptional. There's still nothing in this second issue which is as good as the first 5 pages of #1, which leads me to believe that he's an artist who needs more lead time to really develop out the beautiful pages, otherwise he's capable of good, but merely serviceable art. I don't think people would be praising his art this much if it were in a Marvel book.
    So this story isn't over the top? There can be some improvements story-wise, but I don't have a problem with the art.
    @greg anderson, sorry don't read Walking Dead.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES