Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired

Default X-Factor #248 Review/Spoilers

Being Monet St. Croix
    Pip finds himself in the White Hot Room, confronted by Thanos and Death. Refusing to follow them into the after-life, he does the un-Jean-able and escapes, re-emerging at X-Factor HQ. However, all is not well: he's taller, and his voice is different. Faced with a mirror, Pip realises exactly where he's landed: within the psyche of Monet. A foiled attempt to sneak a peek at the girls reveals that M is still very much present, though not in complete control. The two of them venture down to the morgue, to find Lorna, Longshot, Rictor and Shattybuns with Pip's braindead, but still breathing body.

Pipet explains how the unique physiology of Laxidazian anatomy means he has been left physically unscathed, but that in order to leave Monet's body (where he landed because of a combination of his teleportation, and her telepathy), they must first track down Vera. Unable to access his own psychometric localisation powers away from his Trollish body, Pipet has Longshot trace Vera's position to the New York Botanical Gardens, where Shatterstar immediately teleports the team. Meanwhile, a demonic cab driver has collected the Madroxes from the airport, and driven them to the same place, so that X-Factor might at least fall together. Layla detonates her forcefield offensively, while Jamie learns that the Warders, satanic harbingers of the apocalypse, have been gunning for X-Factor ever since they murdered one of their kind back in Kansas (this creature from #224.1).

At the centre of the park, the rest of the team find Vera by a pool of water, which erupts into a volcanic geyser as she warns that the Hell on Earth War is beginning, and X-Factor will suffer.

Thoughts
    This issue was honestly a little lacklustre for me. The story was essential to bridge the gap from Breaking Points to the Hell on Earth War, but somehow I feel like not much happened. Although I really enjoyed Popo's slapping fight with Pipet, and her hand to Shatterstar's face, much of the humour fell a little flat. The art however, was great. I often find Davidson to be a little hit or miss, but he handled the different environments and variety of characters well. The gardens and the explosion on the last page looked especially great.

I'm not sure how I feel about this development for Monet. Everything seems to indicate that she'll be checked out for the next few issues, which is kind of disappointing. I'd hoped this story would have centred on her, but instead she's become something of a lurking presence. Some time out might help her regain some the quintessential character traits she's been somewhat lacking lately, but it could go either way. Her rage at having to share a body again might send her spiralling ever further into fury.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

On Vacation

The art was great? Are you kidding me? At points the characters look like 2-d flimsy pieces of paper. Very flat and weird.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    The art was great? Are you kidding me? At points the characters look like 2-d flimsy pieces of paper. Very flat and weird.
    Thanos, Death, Pip and everything in the gardens looked really good. I felt like it was a significant improvement over the bare, empty backgrounds Davidson drew in the Morrigan issues.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post

I agree.
    I love Davidson's art style but...it usually looks like his panels and figures were digitally skewed to fit the space...which takes away from overall finish.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Overall a fun issue. Not crazy about the art overall (mostly the faces) but sequences and stuff like Thanos looked good.

I loved the Shatterstar/Polaris moment a lot.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

I'm okay with the art but the faces are so weird. And lol I had the same thought at that panel, he looked like a cardboard.

I thought this issue was fun. Polaris' costume is horrible. It's a punch in the eye compared to the rest of them. Just put on a green trenchcoat please.
    [x]

For some reason it was only Shatterstar that had the skewed face. Polaris looked a little stumpy, too.

But I agree, it was a rather lackluster issue. It was still enjoyable, though, much more enjoyable than the other X-book that came out this week. I'm tired of the man inheriting a woman's body and checking out her boobs first trope. I get it: he's a perv; it fits, but it wasn't funny because it's old. The humor was a bit off. PAD must've watched a horribly depressing movie before writing this. Or watched the news...

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Why does Lorna slap Monet (or Pipet :P), seems a bit out of character (unless the situation is especially emotionally charged)? I'm looking forward to reading this tomorrow, its good to have a return to more team-focused, regular storylines.
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

Well, at least the big "end of the world" thing that's been building for the past year and a half in this title is finally coming to pass. The ride's been mostly fun, but sometimes I wish it didn't get dragged on as long as it had.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Why does Lorna slap Monet (or Pipet :P), seems a bit out of character (unless the situation is especially emotionally charged)? I'm looking forward to reading this tomorrow, its good to have a return to more team-focused, regular storylines.
    Lorna only really does it playfully, but Pipet reacts with aggression, lol.

It looked like Lorna was taking a leadership role in the absence of Maddox.

Personally, I do not like most of the characters faces. They are too elongated for me. The art is not all that bad, but some of the X-factor characters looked very similar. Agree with whoever said they looked very alike. The backgrounds are fine, and some action scenes. I LOVED THE COVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The ride's been mostly fun, but sometimes I wish it didn't get dragged on as long as it had.
    I agree. I just want Hell on Earth to begin and be hopeful Theresa shows up again.

HopeistheGreatestofEvils Atomiq's Avatar

It was hard enough to get past the disappointment of Pip still being alive even without all the page-count he devoured. Then he removed Monet from the equation. I've been waiting for some decent Monet action for forever. Just couldn't enjoy myself here.

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    Lorna only really does it playfully, but Pipet reacts with aggression, lol.
    A playful slap- christ, Lorna's cerebral nowadays. I guess I'll judge for myself when I understand the context better tomorrow.
    "We can fight all day, Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone- but myself. And it's been a while since I've been able to say that."- Polaris, X-Men #187.