Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Like most people I enjoyed this alot more than the first 2. Tony saving the girl for Maya was a very nice ending. Hopefully this continues with the next issue.
    Last edited by TonyStark1012; 12-06-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

HopeistheGreatestofEvils Atomiq's Avatar

I want an arc. Gillen does normally give good one-shots. Maybe, he should save them for when he can turn Living Lazer into a Tolstoy analogue, or something.

I'm enjoying this book.

Particularly that it is a complete story in every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomiq View Post
    I want an arc. Gillen does normally give good one-shots. Maybe, he should save them for when he can turn Living Lazer into a Tolstoy analogue, or something.
    You're in luck, one starts issue 6, sadly it won't be the Living Laser-Tolstoy analogue you want. :(
    Current Pulls:
    Iron Man, Batman, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Daredevil, East of West, Iron Patriot, Mass Effect: Foundation, Moon Knight, New Avengers

Its gotten better. It was the worst 1st issue of NOW, but the last 2 issues were ok. Even Land's art wasn't TOO bad

I'm really enjoying this book and, after the long run by Fraction, I appreciate that KG has chosen not to shift the tone of things super quickly.
    A lot of readers are coming on board because they like KG or heard good things about his writing, but many more are buying it because they are longtime Iron Man readers and I think KG is being considerate to those readers by not forcing his own stamp on the title right off the bat. He's continuing the basic tenner of Fraction's run, slowly shifting toward his own take.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

So far I'm liking each issue more than the previous one, which seems like a good direction to be heading in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    I'm really enjoying this book and, after the long run by Fraction, I appreciate that KG has chosen not to shift the tone of things super quickly.
    A lot of readers are coming on board because they like KG or heard good things about his writing, but many more are buying it because they are longtime Iron Man readers and I think KG is being considerate to those readers by not forcing his own stamp on the title right off the bat. He's continuing the basic tenner of Fraction's run, slowly shifting toward his own take.
    I'm one of those who'd never bought an issue of Iron Man before Gillen started writing it.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeon View Post
    Every complaint about this book is the reasons I like it. I like that each issue is a standalone story, rather than a decommpressed six issue trade wait. I like the quieter undertones on faith and science. I like the multiple armors. Not every story needs to be a big flashy event book to be good. Just look at how awesome Daredevil is.
    Yeah, but Daredevil is so great because it is an extremely fresh take on the character. That's not what we're getting here at all.

HopeistheGreatestofEvils Atomiq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    That sounds fair, I'll try and keep this in mind. Not being sold on Iron Man as a character, I came looking for something to sink my teeth into.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdfalcon View Post
    I disagree. The arms-dealer past gives Tony something to atone for. And really without it Tony's just a smart rich guy in a really nice suit. The point is that there are better things that he could have been doing with his life, so he wanted to go do them. It's not like being an arms dealer made him evil.
    No, but it made him responsible for helping the military do all sorts of hideous things, and ignorance (especially not for a self-professed "world's smartest man" ) isn't an excuse for all those killed and maimed by Stark weapons. When you connect Tony to real-world conflicts and civilian casualties, it becomes harder and harder to think he could ever be a hero, and makes him playing one as Iron Man a bit nauseating.

One thing I liked about Heroes Reborn (and I actually thought the Iron Man series there started pretty strong) is that it disconnected Tony from real world battlefields without removing the atonement angle, instead treating him as an Ebeneezer Scrooge type who'd become consumed by bitterness and stopped caring about anything but profit, then having Iron Man be his ticket to redemption. It also gave Tony the chance to make amends to specific people he'd wronged, as opposed to untold death tolls on foreign soil.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    ...yeah, that's pretty hard to stomach. :(

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    is that John Sublime?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    Yeah, but Daredevil is so great because it is an extremely fresh take on the character. That's not what we're getting here at all.
    I just mean in terms of standalones and smaller arcs. Arcs that take half a year or more and drag the stroy out are horrible, like what Bendis does. Iron Man is nowhere near Daredevil status but its by no means a bad book. Its a soft enjoyable read. And in an era of BIG and EPIC stories its nice to read a something fun once in a while.

I think this series would be more enjoyable to me if Land just drew paper bags over everyone's face.
    Pull-list: Action Comics, Batman, Superior Spider-Man, Flash, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, Silver Surfer, Thor: God of Thunder