Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Whedon Has Turned In Outline For Marvel's "Avengers" Sequel

While prepping to begin production next month on ABC's "S.H.I.E.L.D." pilot, writer/director Joss Whedon submitted his outline for the sequel to Marvel's $1.5 billion blockbuster "The Avengers."

Full article here.

I hope this has more of a story base. I really liked The Avengers but it came off as a bit of an event comic with minimal story, which worked for its intended purposes but I think the next film needs more meet to it. Thanos is a great character so he will probably provide the bulk of that.

He needs to get a better handle on the characters. It was funny seeing Cap tell Thor what to do when the latter battled Frost Giants who could scramble Chitauri troops like eggs. Thor should've been way ahead of Cap with his bottleneck strategy. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    He needs to get a better handle on the characters. It was funny seeing Cap tell Thor what to do when the latter battled Frost Giants who could scramble Chitauri troops like eggs. Thor should've been way ahead of Cap with his bottleneck strategy. LOL.
    You're talking about the same Thor that constantly forgets Loki can teleport and duplicate himself.

I liked the simplicity of the story in Avengers 1 but I don't think they can go back to that wishing well twice.
    Last edited by SephirothDZX; 12-05-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    You're talking about the same Thor that constantly forgets Loki can teleport and duplicate himself.
    It's called bad writing.

It's called bad writing.
    How is that bad writing? Movie Thor is pretty consistently written as a not-too-saavy tactician. He couldn't understand the greater implications of storming into Frost Giant land and got fooled by Loki's tricks twice. It makes sense to me that he'd probably take orders from an already proven leader who probably has a better grasp on the layouts and tactical advantages found in an Earth city.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    How is that bad writing? Movie Thor is pretty consistently written as a not-too-saavy tactician. He couldn't understand the greater implications of storming into Frost Giant land and got fooled by Loki's tricks twice. It makes sense to me that he'd probably take orders from an already proven leader who probably has a better grasp on the layouts and tactical advantages found in an Earth city.
    In the films, he's written as a foolhardy macho punk with incredible powers, but you'd think he'd be a little smarter than that.

Double post.

Elder Member

Thor's great at hitting big stuff with his hammer, but one of the things we learned about him in his own movie is that strategy isn't exactly his strong suit.

In the films, he's written as a foolhardy macho punk with incredible powers, but you'd think he'd be a little smarter than that.
    Why would we think that? He's always been portrayed as a hot-headed, hit first ask questions later type.

Simonson's Thor never made me regard him as a dumb oaf who always needed the dots connected for him. Now, I haven't read Thor post-Simonson, so I don't know what happened afterward. I know the guy likes his mead, but drunk and stupid at the same time doesn't have to mean stupid later. And by the end of the movie, we're supposed to assume he's learned at least a couple lessons.
    Last edited by verslibre; 12-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.

But Simonson's Thor was a fully matured man. Thor in the movies is a young man (for an asgardian) who only just matured to the point that he could redeem himself in Odin's eyes and show that he could one day be the king of Asgard. But he isn't there yet. By the time we get to Thor and Avengers 3 I expect we will see a more capable and thoughtful Thor. It's called character growth.