Thread: youre top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    Someone doesn't read very well.
    Oops.

Then I would have to say:

3. Avengers (modern)
    2. X-Force (current)
    1. X-Men (1991, both teams together)

Most teams have never been that appealing to me; I'm more into loner heroes.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

X-Statix was awesome too. I think if we could have had more issues run, it would def be on more people's radar. That was really excellent. Thank you Peter Milligan and Michael Allred.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Quote Originally Posted by vane0326 View Post
    It's from...

Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross by Alex Ross

When I saw this some years ago I wanted to be wall paper on my computer, but the funny thing is...I couldn't find it on the internet. So I had to scanned it from the book.

It's really the best portrayed image of the JSA from Alex Ross yet.
    Wow. Yeah, it's amazing some times with the mountain of stuff on the internet, and yet, sometimes we still draw a blank, like this.

I have to agree; with the tone of WWII and the times, this Ross piece just belts out a home run for the JSA.

Thanks for posting it. Really beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shaw! View Post
    If you don't recall "Miracles, Inc.", here they are, from Harvey's UNEARTHLY SPECTACULARS No. 2, December, 1966.

And Sam Grainger's "Sentinels" was the back-up series in most issues of Charlton's PETER CANNON...THUNDERBOLT.

Aloha,

Scott!
    Scott,

Your posts are always informative and entertaining.

I was born in '66, and much as I love comics, I've never heard of this strip, but, if it's Wally Wood, I'm going to hunt it down.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    X-Statix was awesome too. I think if we could have had more issues run, it would def be on more people's radar. That was really excellent. Thank you Peter Milligan and Michael Allred.
    Yeah I think so too, the art, Dead girl, Doop, it was diffrent. But I kinda wanna pick up the new FF for Michael Allred, not sure I like the lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidwolfdog View Post
    Yeah I think so too, the art, Dead girl, Doop, it was diffrent. But I kinda wanna pick up the new FF for Michael Allred, not sure I like the lineup
    Heard that.

I am a huge Allred fan, and I like the FF, but I'm leary of Fraction, and so far I hate the idea of Ms. Thing.

Pass...for now.

In no particular order:

Legion of Super Heroes
    Avengers
    Justice League of America
    Fantastic Four
    Watchmen
    Defenders
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (streching the super hero definition?)
    Original / New X-Men
    Micronauts (really streching it here but I dig 'em)
    JSA

Y'know, Kurt, I actually thought you'd get a kick out of seeing the SCPA in my list...

Shoot. Y'know who I left out?

Defenders of the Earth!

This was, when I was young, the only group I could actually imagine myself as a part of, instead of appreciating from a distance. It probably deserves about #5 or so on my list, knocking everything else down by one. (Goodbye, old #10, whoever you were!)
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Heard that.

I am a huge Allred fan, and I like the FF, but I'm leary of Fraction, and so far I hate the idea of Ms. Thing.

Pass...for now.
    Agree about the new FF - it's almost as if they went out of their way to use exactly the kind of characters I hate: She-Hulk and Miss Thing. I don't really see the FF as the kind of team that changes members anyway - they ere always a family of adventurers to me rather than a team of random superheroes. Crystal was the only one who made sense, as she was basically part of the family for much of the Kirby era; if that were still the case, I might be able to see Medusa or some other Inhuman as part of the extended family, but otherwise, no, even for characters I like, e.g. Thundra or Luke Cage.

Not sure about Allred: his stuff looks pretty nice, but at the same time has always struck me as kind of a one-note schtick. But I haven't really given it a chance by reading any of his solo work.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

In no particular order:

Justice League (Unlimited; assuming I can use it)
    The Neopolis PD
    Birds Of Prey (most any run pre-DCnu)
    Nextwave: Agents Of H.A.T.E.
    The Authority (Ellis & Hitch line-up)
    X-Force/Statix
    X-Men (Morrison line-up)
    Secret Six
    The MI:13
    Section 8

1) Superman and Muhammad Ali (ANCE C-56)
    2) Spider-Man and Shang-Chi (GSSM 3, MTU 84,85)
    3) Batman and Deadman (B&B 79, 86, 104, 132, and Special # 1)
    4) Spider-Man and Zabu (SMF 6)
    5) The Inferior Five and the Legion of Substitute Heroes (B&B second ongoing 35)
    6) Sgt. Rock, the Haunted Tank, Johnny Cloud, and surprise guest! (B&B 52)
    6.5) Hell, ANYONE and special surprise guest! (B& B 150, AC 591, MTU Second Series 6... I'm sure I'm missing a few.)
    7) Superman and Ambush Bug (DCCP 81)
    8) Batman and Wildcat (B&B 88, 97, 110, 118, 127)
    9) Wonder Woman and the Atom (STF 14)
    10) Spider-Man and the Man-Thing (GSSM 5, MTU 68, 122, and second series 4)
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Agree about the new FF - it's almost as if they went out of their way to use exactly the kind of characters I hate: She-Hulk and Miss Thing. I don't really see the FF as the kind of team that changes members anyway - they ere always a family of adventurers to me rather than a team of random superheroes. Crystal was the only one who made sense, as she was basically part of the family for much of the Kirby era; if that were still the case, I might be able to see Medusa or some other Inhuman as part of the extended family, but otherwise, no, even for characters I like, e.g. Thundra or Luke Cage.

Not sure about Allred: his stuff looks pretty nice, but at the same time has always struck me as kind of a one-note schtick. But I haven't really given it a chance by reading any of his solo work.
    Yeah, Though Its Medusa not Crystal in the FF not the other way around. Basically the fact Fraction is on the title, and you kind of have to pick up Fantastic Four to get the total jist of FF makes it a tough sell. I love She Hulk, and Allred drawing her, is awesome but the rest of the team is kinda random like you say.

This thread needs more X-Statix love.
    BB

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rabidwolfdog View Post
    Yeah, Though Its Medusa not Crystal in the FF not the other way around. Basically the fact Fraction is on the title, and you kind of have to pick up Fantastic Four to get the total jist of FF makes it a tough sell. I love She Hulk, and Allred drawing her, is awesome but the rest of the team is kinda random like you say.
    Oh, you mean there's two separate series, the FF and the Fantastic Four? I was just using FF as an abbreviation for Fantastic Four.

Somebody sell me on Allred: what should I be looking at to see him at his best? I'd prefer something of his own rather than his version of a Marvel or DC character or series.

Speaking of new versions of old teams, I was half-minded to take a chance on Hickman's Avengers when it comes out in trade, but I'm starting to see some of the same things I disliked about what I read and saw in previews of his Fantastic Four, so I'm not so sure now. Still might try one of his solo series, though: Pax Romana, Nightly News or Manhattan Project.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Somebody sell me on Allred: what should I be looking at to see him at his best? I'd prefer something of his own rather than his version of a Marvel or DC character or series.
    Madman is probably the obvious answer. The Atomics is a little easier to jump into. Red Rocket 7 I think may be his best work.

If you want a nice taste (though not creator owned) Solo #7 is a hoot.