Default Should I pick up the New 52 Wonder Woman trades? :)

Hello so I'm wondering if I should pick up the new Wonder Woman series in trades? Vol 2 is coming out in a couple months and it looks interesting just want to hear your guys thoughts on it, thanks!

I know I'm going to (I'm waiting for the softcovers myself).
    BB

While trying not to oversimplify or be too divisive, I will say that if you loved the previous version of Wonder Woman, you might not enjoy the New 52 book. If you weren't overly attached to the old Diana or if you have an open mind, you should definitely check it out. Azzarello has made a lot of fairly significant changes to her story, and while I happen to think they work great and the book is brilliant, many WW fans have serious misgivings about it. I for one could not recommend it highly enough.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

Maybe if you´re not a hardcore Wonder Woman fan, it will work. I like the George Pérez era but haven´t really followed through the years. I like Byrne´s run and Messner-Loebs/ Deodato. I don´t have the continuity on top of my head, so I don´t realize where changes are being made. The current run is one of my favorite titles and can´t wait to read what is coming this month, since I love Kirby´s legacy. My point is, if you are willing to give some creative license, go ahead and read it. It may even compell you to read some mythologic stuff (as it did me). I have been a comic collector for over 30 years and had never read so many DC titles like I am now. There´s some great stuff.

Yes, pick it up. I'd say this is one of the few times Wonder Woman has been so interesting.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Yoda's true Master. Darth Twiggy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thebozo View Post
    Hello so I'm wondering if I should pick up the new Wonder Woman series in trades? Vol 2 is coming out in a couple months and it looks interesting just want to hear your guys thoughts on it, thanks!
    Well you're in a WW forum so youre not gonnna get many people telling you not to.
    Its a good book.
    If you like seeing a violent version of WW that kicks olympian butts then sure buy it. its a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Twiggy View Post
    Well you're in a WW forum so youre not gonnna get many people telling you not to.
    Its a good book.
    If you like seeing a violent version of WW that kicks olympian butts then sure buy it. its a good read.
    Actually, until she went 'god-mode', she was getting her butt handed to her by the olympians.

I get the impression you're a new fan, so yeah, you'll probably love it.

I think it's a lot better than the Perez version. Marston is still the best but I would place this run right after his.

Maybe I'm a snob when it comes to DC Trades but they seem so cheaply made I get the hardcover or the individual issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Twiggy View Post
    Funny, I would have said it was the exact opposite.

If you like WW then pick it up. It's a really great read, and the trade is nicey put together. Volume one looks pretty darn good on my shelf and I'm sure it will on yours too.

Thanks a lot guys, just ordered the hardcover on amazon, and yeah i have been reading dc for a while but never got into wonder woman and somehow missed it last year when all the number 1s came out, but I am pumped, love mythology, so it should be sweet!

BANNED

If you haven't gotten into WW before and you love mythology, then this sonds up your alley. Once you accept the book for what it is, Azz and Chiang are damn good at what they're doing with it.

I think you'll find the view on the book on these boards to be a bit divided. If you are looking for a flatout superhero book it probably isn't for you, personally I have enjoyed it and consider it to be one of the top 3 books released by DC since the new 52 began.

Quote Originally Posted by thebozo View Post
    Thanks a lot guys, just ordered the hardcover on amazon, and yeah i have been reading dc for a while but never got into wonder woman and somehow missed it last year when all the number 1s came out, but I am pumped, love mythology, so it should be sweet!
    Yeah, in that case this should be right up your alley.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.