Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I hope your understanding of the scene is how it was intended, then. Because the alternative is Michael Bay stupidness.

Quote Originally Posted by C_W View Post
    This felt like filler. It helped clear up a few questions we might have had from issue 698 and gave us the setup to the final issue. It did it's job and calmed us down before Dan Slott unleashes...whatever the hell he has planned in issue 700.

I have no idea what will happen next issue but I'm anticipating it and dreading it at the same time. I also noticed that this was a comic version of a "bottle episode" since it primarily took part in the raft.
    I had the same thought, mostly because it was all transition from point A to point B that could fit into a page. The best stuff was Peter imagining the worst and also seeing Ock's memory...but wasn't the strongest issue.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Dan Slott thinks you all have filthy minds.

You are all SICK! :-P ASM #699 SPOILERS (Don't click if you haven't read #699 first)

So...
    You read ASM #699, Page 8, Panel 5, and YOU walked away thinking:

Sex?!
    Rape?!
    Incest?!!

WHAT?! Where was THAT in the book?

It's a panel of a FULLY CLOTHED Aunt May in a wedding dress as she's about to KISS the reader.
    She says that there's something she and her groom SHOULDN'T do before the wedding...

You know what a groom isn't supposed to do before the wedding? He's not supposed to SEE the bride.

SEE.

S-E-E.

And then we cut away BEFORE the kiss connects.

The next shot is of a closed door.

ANYTHING that happened BETWEEN the panels happened in YOUR OWN MIND.

Like a Rorschach test, YOU were reading into that scene with whatever baggage YOU brought with you.
    Any icky/disgusting things that took place between Aunt May and Doc Ock (in Doc Ock's memories) were things that YOUR imagination came up with.

Shame on you. :-P

Any 8 year old kid who read that scene probably thought about how icky it'd be to be kissed by one of their old, wrinkly aunts.

What did YOU think happened there? :-/

ttyl ;-)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Which is fair point, but with all due respect to Dan Slott, he was the one who stated on Twitter the following prior to this issue even coming out:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott
    It's not just me. Now confirmed by multiple sources in @Marvel editorial: ASM #699 Pg 6 is the most disturbing moment in Spider-Man history.
    So based on that, it sure sounds like he was saying even the folks at Marvel had interpreted the scene the same way most of the fans eventually did.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 12-06-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Which is fair point, but with all due respect to Dan Slott, he was the one who stated on Twitter the following prior to this issue even coming out:
    I think Dan's twitter post needs to be taken with a couple of very large grains of salt.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

So it sure sounds like that even the folks at Marvel interpreted the scene the same way most of the fans did.
    Marvel pros also have filthy minds.

Anyone here read Our Love is Real? That gloriously messed-up one-shot turned Sam Humphries into Marvel's next writer.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I think Dan's twitter post needs to be taken with a couple of very large grains of salt.
    Oh, given that incident in which he tweeted Stegman about "Miquel" and then quickly deletes, and then people start thinking "Oh my god! The Superior Spider-Man is Miquel O'Hara!" absolutely. I'm just saying that Slott in that tweet, as means of hyping up Amazing Spider-Man #699, saying that "page 6 is the most disturbing moment in Spider-Man history" may have helped to make readers think "something disturbing is going to happen" and once they saw the Aunt May scene, they went "Gross, that really is disturbing." In other words, Slott pulled an Inception without the fancy dream machine.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 12-06-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

So based on that, it sure sounds like he was saying even the folks at Marvel had interpreted the scene the same way most of the fans eventually did.
    dude, being inside the guy who makes out with the woman you call mom and is a super villain is a very disturbing image.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    dude, being inside the guy who makes out with the woman you call mom and is a super villain is a very disturbing image.
    Never meant to imply it wasn't. Especially when the implication is also, based on the previous memories of Doc Ock Peter witness, it involves all of the five senses, not just sight and sound. And besides, the comic is labeled T so it can't be TOO explicit.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 12-06-2012 at 03:29 PM.

I laughed out loud at the Aunt May memory.

But heres the thing, how does that classify as the most disturbing thing in Spider-Man history, like considering how he got his eye eaten once. Or when you see Norman Osborn's sex face. Being inside Doc Ock and remembering the time he made out with Aunt May isn't really that bad in comparison.

As my best good friend Mark Zieba told me, Aunt May talking about doing it with Doc Ock just replaced Norman's Oh-face as Marvel's ickiest moment for him.

Having a filthy mind just means you have a great sense of humor :)

Then what was she doing there in her wedding gown?
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Meanwhile…
    Hospitals Flooded by Victims of Amazing Spider-Man #699
    Have you checked out already?
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601