Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

The issue was too vague on whether or not it was a wireless transfer of brain waves or some type of elctro surgery performed physically on both pete and Ock.

The problem im having is what came first Pete's mind being reprogrammed or Doc's ? The issue is vague, but people online are making it seem like Ock was first, which makes no since to me because Pete in Ock's body would not mind control the octobot to attack what is essentially now himself.

I'm not really guessing anything until #700. All we know for sure that MJ lives, Flash is still Venom, and Morbius is neither dead nor Superior Spider-Man. Seriously, I haven't been so confused since Gillen's Journey into Mystery...which was only a few months ago, but still...I hope it's not as depressing as JIM...Oh, I don't think I can do that again...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I'm not really guessing anything until #700. All we know for sure that MJ lives, Flash is still Venom, and Morbius is neither dead nor Superior Spider-Man. Seriously, I haven't been so confused since Gillen's Journey into Mystery...which was only a few months ago, but still...I hope it's not as depressing as JIM...Oh, I don't think I can do that again...
    And Kaine is stuck in Houston!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirspidermonkey View Post
    The issue was too vague on whether or not it was a wireless transfer of brain waves or some type of elctro surgery performed physically on both pete and Ock.

The problem im having is what came first Pete's mind being reprogrammed or Doc's ? The issue is vague, but people online are making it seem like Ock was first, which makes no since to me because Pete in Ock's body would not mind control the octobot to attack what is essentially now himself.
    The first objective was for the octobot to put Ock into Peter. Then Ock, brought the golden bot back to him in the raft and put Peter in himself. So there were two Ocks at one point. That is how I understand it.

Delete please.
    Last edited by TheOther; 12-06-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Double Post.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Especially if he's actually the new Superior Spider-Man. After all, notice how he's also a PP (Peter Petruski) just like Peter Parker, is a scientific and technical genius just like Peter Parker, his sticky goo could easily be remade into webbing, and notice how he wears goggles not unlike the Superior Spider-Man's mask? Not saying it's actually going to be him, but even so, you can see some VERY interesting parallels already.
    Exactly… and they've clashed in the past. Oh yeah, and in a Spidey/FF crossover with the Frightful Four he did impersonate Spidey.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Quote Originally Posted by snicol View Post
    I think Slott is doing a good job of putting a new spin on an old cliche whilst setting up the new 'superior' spider-man in this arc - my guess, based on what I've seen so far is as follows - from the various threads I think others are thinking along similar lines:

This mind swap is not your usual comic book mind swap - Peter's mind (REAL PETER) hasn't been overwritten and replaced, more suppressed along with his memories and a COPY of Ock's consciousness (OCK COPY) has been added to Peter's mind in such a way that it is CURRENTLY dominant. Same for Ock, only with Peter's consciousness copy (PETE COPY) dominant over REAL OCK. This sets up all sorts of tricky get out clauses and story possibilities but also raises some interesting philosophical questions and possibilities. Over time, REAL PETE will try and overcome or at least influence COPY OCK attenuating his actions by preventing him from killing someone for example. Similarly PETE COPY is being influenced by REAL OCK (we see this clearly in 699). My theory is that OCK's BODY will die with PETE COPY still in control, allowing us to 'experience' the death of peter parker from his viewpoint... this death might happen whilst PETE COPY is performing some heroic sacrifice or preventing OCK from being evil in someway. PETE COPY's death will either reactivate REAL PETE or influence OCK COPY into being more heroic. This leads to the Superior Spider-Man being....

COPY OCK in control but being influenced by REAL PETE to be a hero (or at least a selfish anti-hero)

REAL PETE in control but being influenced by COPY OCK giving him a dark or villainous edge...

COPY OCK and REAL PETE vie for control of REAL PETE's body, Jekyll and Hyde style or more Grey Hulk / Banner style but both influencing each other.

So, good 'Peter Parker' dies (and we see it happen / experience his afterlife scene like the previews show), but REAL PETE MIND and BODY are still here for the inevitable return to status quo around 12-18 months time. Superior Spider-Man is NOT 'Peter Parker' but he is really sort of. New merged Peter / Ock goes around the Marvel universe for a year or so interacting with friends and enemies in strange, new ways (the Daredevil team up being one of the first), people start to notice something is wrong but can't quite work out what etc etc then Superior Spider-Man over steps the mark somehow forcing others / REAL PETE to step in and sort it out.

Lots of possible story opportunities, we get a NEW Spider-Man, kill 'Peter Parker' but in such a way everything can be reset to more or less normal without the writer being accused of actually cheating.

The other thing is this is a really terrible thing for Ock to do to Peter, truly cementing him forever as a true arch-nemesis for Spidey in the same way killing Gwen did for the Norman Osborn / Goblin.

Just leaves the question of how do we get OCK back? I don't know, probably a cloned body of REAL PETE or REAL OCK.. this throws the Jackel into the mix too (who not so coincidentally has been popping up in Slott stories for a while too).
    Nice.

My thoughts exactly. Pretty much, all of it.

Paste Pot Pete is not going to be Spiderman. What would be his motivation? Why would Dan Slott and Axel Alonso say to themselves, you know who needs his own book? The Trapster!

It was strangely amusing to see Peter crying after one of Ock's organs failed. Maybe it was just the way the art portrayed him...

I wonder if it will be someone other than Doc Ock that is S.S.? It seems than Dan would not have showed us his hand this early and would have saved it for issue 700.

Quote Originally Posted by Runguy View Post
    I wonder if it will be someone other than Doc Ock that is S.S.? It seems than Dan would not have showed us his hand this early and would have saved it for issue 700.
    I think Superior Spider-man is Peter Parker lol

Well, then, I would say Slott has done his job quite well thus far!
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Well, then, I would say Slott has done his job quite well thus far!
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I think we should wait for the payoff. This could be Ock aknowledging that Spiderman is smarter than he is (a lesson he learned in 600) and is an attempt to trick Peter into figuring out a way to save himself, at which point he will have in reality saved Doc Ock who never really swapped bodies. This would explain why the Octobot for instance wasn't destroyed, and why he didn't kill Peter when he was standing over his body alone with the Avengers encouraging him to do so. Or maybe not, but why not wait for the payoff before deciding it doesn't make any sense?
    Because as presented it doesn't make any damn sense. It's always possible that we could have some glorious twist at the end, but as presented in this issue, it doesn't work.

Your theory doesn't really make any sense either. For one thing, Peter wouldn't be saving Doc Ock. Doc Ock would be saving Doc Ock. By thinking like Peter? Except then why would he zap Peter into thinking Peter was Doc Ock? That serves no benefit. It really doesn't fit into Ock's personality very well either, as if there's one thing he woudl NEVER do, it's admit someone is a better scientist than he.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Toothbrush Sharing. One drink. Chameleon just made out with her. Etc.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Peter has to rely on 10x losers like Hydro-man, Trapster & Scorpion to get his body back & set things right Yeah good luck with that.
    These B listers greatest accomplishment (in reality)...is rescuing Spider-man.

Classic.

Loved the issue and it was done by my favorite artist to boot!
    The world was blessedly free of honest men and wonderfully full of people who believed they could tell the difference between an honest man and a crook. -Terry Pratchett