Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Well, I was right on the when and how the switch occurred, as well as that Peter should have access to Ock's memories.

That Aunt May scene was disgusting, TBH, but not the most disturbing thing to happen in a Spider-Man comic (most notably Reign and What If?: The Other).

This issue was really just kind of filler, throwing in the missing information to bridge the gap between 698 and 700.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    In the #698 discussions, I made reference to Doc Ock remembering the women Peter had been with sexually.

I came so close to guessing what the "disturbing" mental image was in this issue.
    To me, its not as disturbing (or unnecessary) as Peter walking in on Jay and May in the buff. Or some of the JMS stuff.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I think the real question here is whether Peter and Ock really switched bodies, or if re-writing someone's brain patterns doesn't actually change who the person is so much as who they think they are.

It would be a really cruel twist if Pete pulled out the ultimate victory only to realize...he's not Peter Parker at all.

Whatever happens in ASM 700, I think there's enough pseudo-science here to give Slott or other writers a clean 'out' to bring Peter back should he die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Very few people bring that up… if it's Peter who think's he's Ock in Peter's body who's now roaming around it's a twisted victory for Ock as he's going to live vicariously in Peter's body after his own body, with his own soul/mind thinking he's Peter will die unless something happens. I'm really trying to wrap my mind around this one.
    Well, if it does turn out to be that case that Peter only thinks he's Doc Ock and vice-versa, then maybe the reason why Doc Ock did that was so he could use Peter's own sense of responsibility, devotion to his friends and family, and determination against Spider-Man, and the best way to do that was to literally make himself think he's Peter. Of course, given what this issue establishes, Peter would have been able to see that as part of Doc Ock's memories.
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_O'Hara_Morales View Post
    Maybe I'm out on limb here but I have a pretty plausible theory on who the Superior Spider-Man could be. CURT CONNORS! He somehow gets into a sort of in between (Lizard-Man). And when Peter (in ock's body) dies, his last wish is that Curt Connors becomes the Superior Spider-Man.
    I don't know. That seems like quite a reach.

I enjoyed this issue more than issue 698. But now I really can't wait for issue 700.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

After reading these boards for the last few weeks I can safely say many of you are probably upset with the knowledge Ock didn't swap bodies 10 issues ago. Also probably how simplistic the swap was in retrospect.

I reviewed the book with pictures in my signature if anyone is interested.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Still trying to wrap my head around that theory of Pete still being Pete with Ock influencing his mind against Ock still being Ock only more Pete-like. Gaaaaaaah.

But I liked the issue a lot! Hoped it would be an entire army of villains to come rescue him, which would have been a blast and could have given some great easter egg moments, but Hydro-Man, Scorpion and Paste P...I mean, the Trapster make for a good little team-up. Also, Peter/Ock's decision to leave behind Morbius and Smythe and the Lizard is definitely gonna bite him in the behind. Though having missed the latest Lizard arc I am intrigued by his new situation.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

This issue made absolutely no sense!! So Peter's soul wasn't sucked out of his body and placed into Ottos? His brain was rewrote to be Octavius and Octavius' brain was rewrote to be Peters? What the hell? So Peter is really Peter, but with Octavius' personality/brain map? I don't know how this idea got of the brainstorming session and into production. If I didn't already have a complete run of AS and hadn't been reading for years, I'd stop. What a bunch of crap.

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grendel_cave View Post
    So Peter is really Peter, but with Octavius' personality/brain map?
    ... That's pretty much how every body-switch story goes...

The only difference here is that they both have each others' memories as well.
    Bad news everyone...

This issue made absolutely no sense!! So Peter's soul wasn't sucked out of his body and placed into Ottos? His brain was rewrote to be Octavius and Octavius' brain was rewrote to be Peters? What the hell? So Peter is really Peter, but with Octavius' personality/brain map? I don't know how this idea got of the brainstorming session and into production. If I didn't already have a complete run of AS and hadn't been reading for years, I'd stop. What a bunch of crap.
    Maybe that's the big twist here: that because it was merely brainwaves being re-written, Peter is still Peter and Doc Ock is still Doc Ock, only Peter thinks and acts like Doc Ock and Doc Ock thinks and acts like Peter and that whatever happens in Amazing Spider-Man #700 makes them realize the truth. In short, Peter Parker has gotten a literal personality transplant.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    ... That's pretty much how every body-switch story goes...

The only difference here is that they both have each others' memories as well.
    Except brainwaves are not synonymous with a mind. Then again, this IS comic book science we're dealing with here.

I'll give you that. It's zany, but classic Spidey stories were all zany like that.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Except brainwaves are not synonymous with a mind. Then again, this IS comic book science we're dealing with here.
    Maybe that's Ock's "last, great act of revenge" in ASM 700? What could fit that criteria????

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I don't really see the point of the distinction.

Ock's body now has Peter's personality and memories, and Pete's has Ock's. How is this any different if they "switched souls"? Aside from the fact that they also have each other's memories. That's literally the only difference between what's going on in this body-swap story compared to every other one.
    Bad news everyone...

Anyone else think it's a little odd that the golden octobot (you know, the one that made its way from Guatemala to New York underwater) petered out (couldn't resist) once it summoned help? Seems Pete (the one in Ock's body) would need it functioning to reverse the mind swappage. Maybe it's recharging from that USB port it plugged into. (Could have been tragic if it had been set up to recharge with one of the 30-pin iPhone chargers but all that was available in that office was a new 8-pin charger...)