Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

I have to be honest - this didn't make me want to come back next issue.

And did it feel a bit like the premise of Giant Size X-Men #1 to anyone else?

Default I really wanted to like the Avengers, but.. are they just drawing names out of a hat?

I was very hopeful now that the Bendis era was over, but man I hated this first issue. First off, what's going on with the Hulk? He looks and acts like the 'Hulk smash, Defenders Hulk. I'm really not sure what the NOW stuff is at Marvel, but I was under the impression that this wasn't some huge time altering thing, but this issue seems otherwise. I understand that the beginning team is from the movie, but in comics when did this line-up come about?

And these members....Hyperion, Smasher (a woman ?), Cannonball, Captain Universe (has that concept changed?). They are running out of characters.

The symbol at the end looks so rememisant of the old Legion. Is Wolverine the one who gets the generic X-Men symbol?

BANNED

Hickman wants to tell a story with the characters he wants. So he's picking the biggest hitters for this space campaign.

And what's so bad about a female Smasher? You don't know them

And yeah, they are running out of people to make Avengers.

Here's a novel idea - why not wait to read the next 2 issues which are specifically solicited to explain the new roster by showing the recruiting in process!

Hickman said the team is the way it is for a reason. Specific players for specific needs. Asking 'why' while we've only been shown 5% of the story is beyond premature, don'tchya think?
    sunspot. magik. magma. kid loki. kitty. karma. frost.
    Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Hickman wants to tell a story with the characters he wants. So he's picking the biggest hitters for this space campaign.

And yeah, they are running out of new people to make Avengers.
    fixed.

And Hickman doesn't draw names out of a hat. he has a plan for everything, trust me there won't be a character not explored in some way or another.

there was no time altering in marvel Now, its just a big overhyped jumping on point and creator shuffle.
    and this team is just starting right now with these first few issues to answer when they came about.

also yes wolverines insignia is just the x logo. seems strange to me that he wouldn't at least get an Avengers "A" to use as well by now but oh well. take it for what it is.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    I was very hopeful now that the Bendis era was over, but man I hated this first issue. First off, what's going on with the Hulk? He looks and acts like the 'Hulk smash, Defenders Hulk. I'm really not sure what the NOW stuff is at Marvel, but I was under the impression that this wasn't some huge time altering thing, but this issue seems otherwise. I understand that the beginning team is from the movie, but in comics when did this line-up come about?

And these members....Hyperion, Smasher (a woman ?), Cannonball, Captain Universe (has that concept changed?). They are running out of characters.

The symbol at the end looks so rememisant of the old Legion. Is Wolverine the one who gets the generic X-Men symbol?
    There's already a thread for people like you.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...man-s-Avengers

You might try reading any of the numerous interviews Hickman has given, that have their own threads here. Or even the Q & A he held right here on this board -- where your questions are already addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    I have to be honest - this didn't make me want to come back next issue.

And did it feel a bit like the premise of Giant Size X-Men #1 to anyone else?
    I'm seem to recall Hickman saying somewhere this was intentional, like a homage or a reference -- though I could be wrong. I've read a lot of interviews and reviews lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I'm seem to recall Hickman saying somewhere this was intentional, like a homage or a reference -- though I could be wrong. I've read a lot of interviews and reviews lately.
    Really? He's been saying the exact opposite on his Formspring, and that people should wait for the second issue before making the comparison.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by murdershewrote View Post
    Here's a novel idea - why not wait to read the next 2 issues which are specifically solicited to explain the new roster by showing the recruiting in process!

Hickman said the team is the way it is for a reason. Specific players for specific needs. Asking 'why' while we've only been shown 5% of the story is beyond premature, don'tchya think?
    Well said!
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by murdershewrote View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Well let's see. He did exactly that to Dark Cyclops. He did that to Collector. He basicly tricked the Grandmaster. So...yes, he'll shoot arrows at it.
    I know, I was being sarcastic to the previous post.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Just Sayin'

I was very hopeful now that the Bendis era was over, but man I hated this first issue. First off, what's going on with the Hulk? He looks and acts like the 'Hulk smash, Defenders Hulk.
    Hickman has said there's a reason behind this that'll play out eventually.
    I'm really not sure what the NOW stuff is at Marvel, but I was under the impression that this wasn't some huge time altering thing, but this issue seems otherwise. I understand that the beginning team is from the movie, but in comics when did this line-up come about?
    Avengers Assembled and at the end of the last issue of Bendis's Avengers issue.

They're running out of characters or Hickman wants to play around with some unused concepts? Yes, Wolverine gets the X.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Good start but certainly not as good as the Newsarama reviewer made it to be.

8/10 for me.
    It certainly was not as good as the reviewer made out.
    Have to say I was disappointed BUT I was a big admirer of Hickman's work on the Fantastic Four titles so I'll give it a few more issues to see if it hooks me in.
    He plays a long game and it's usually very rewarding.
    Dublin Calling!

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

A female Smasher? Nothing.

A human Smasher? Plenty. No humans should be in the Imperial Guard. Not only is it the historically unfriendly military of an evil dictatorship that routinely attacks Earth citizens for no reason, but it is elite military. US citizens don't go joining the Chinese army special forces.

And yeah, they are running out of people to make Avengers.
    Hardly.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    A female Smasher? Nothing.

A human Smasher? Plenty. No humans should be in the Imperial Guard. Not only is it the historically unfriendly military of an evil dictatorship that routinely attacks Earth citizens for no reason, but it is elite military. US citizens don't go joining the Chinese army special forces.
    I dunno, the analogy might be getting a bit shaky there.

Earth is hardly a rival power to the Shi'Ar on the galactic scale, glut of super-heroes and being Vulcan's homeworld aside.

What you're saying is more like
    "People from sovereign Samoa never join the united states army!" which isn't true.
    Plenty of expatriates from other countries - especially smaller ones within our sphere of influence - join the U.S military and often excel. You know these things, probably.

I don't think it's that weird for an organization that has always integrated dudes and dudettes from a bunch of planets, like the Imperial Guard, to have a human member.
    I don't think it's that weird for a human to be receptive toward joining, considering the whiz-bang factor of it all.

Particularly given that I'm pretty sure they've been trying to suggest that, with Kellark running the whole shebang, the Shi'Ar should now be more chill. Both sides might see her membership as a conciliatory, mending-fences thing.